Author Topic: What is the best variety of loquat?  (Read 19560 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best variety of loquat?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
Top-cleft grafting loquats with leafy scions is one of the easier types of plant to graft.  Almost as easy as White-Sapote grafting.
Har

Forgot

• Argentina, Cordoba
    • View Profile
    • HowandWhentoPrune
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2019, 10:52:21 AM »
Taking advantage of this thread of conversation in which they are talking about the varieties of this beautiful fruit that is the nispero I would like to consult something related to this.

Is there any difference to prune one variety or another of nispero? I do gardening and a client has consulted me, and the truth escapes my knowledge. I have been looking for information on the subject but I have only found articles that speak in a general way about pruning (a clear example is that of this post that explains quite generally how to trim any loquat tree)

I hope your help, I have already thrown this query in several forums and I have not obtained great results. I hope this is the right forum. :)

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »
Taking advantage of this thread of conversation in which they are talking about the varieties of this beautiful fruit that is the nispero I would like to consult something related to this.

Is there any difference to prune one variety or another of nispero? I do gardening and a client has consulted me, and the truth escapes my knowledge. I have been looking for information on the subject but I have only found articles that speak in a general way about pruning (a clear example is that of this post that explains quite generally how to trim any loquat tree)

I hope your help, I have already thrown this query in several forums and I have not obtained great results. I hope this is the right forum. :)

Thanks for the link.

Loquats in our region are quite vigorous and responsive to pruning. They can be pruned in most ways, and will adapt well in most cases. I have seen ones trained into a beautiful fence in Coronado.

In Argentina, I would judge their ability to cope with pruning by tracking vigor of known trees in the area. If they show substantial vigor, and lack of disease (fireblight is the big one here), then most pruning techniques should be effective.

They produce pannicles on new growth similar to mangoes, so that would be a good reference if you're looking to promote production and ease of harvest. If you're doing it for landscaping, they do respond well to shaping (whitewashing exposed branches may be necessary).

You always see the massive loquats in Japan but I wonder how the flavor is and if they thin the entire panicle to one fruit to maximize size.

I've been to the farms, they do thin to one per pannicle. The fruit are very large and the flavor is on par with the better varieties I have tried stateside. Jim Nietzel had one called 'Chinadoll' that had received glowing reviews. I have found a seedling with rich syrupy taste. There's lots of variety in the local seedlings.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2019, 11:47:28 AM »
I am looking for China doll and have alot of other cultivars to trade. Thanks!

PlantHoarder

• USA, Zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
I have a Japanese Loquat but it's too young to make fruit yet and also haven't enough experience in this area. All I know is I had to pick something that should be hardy down to zone 7-ish and I was told this was.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 02:28:08 AM »
Nice fruit Behl!

For those of you having trouble with Big Jim, are you watering and fertilizing properly giving your tree a dry period before flowering? My Big Jim produced when it was a small tree and has produced well every year, ever since. Due to its heavy fruiting, it has not grown much. It has been in the ground about 6-7 years and is about 6-7 feet tall at its highest point and has a similar width.

Most Loquat grow vigorously here in SoCal, I have not noticed that Big Jim is any more vigorous.

Simon

Hey Simon do you grow your loquat tree as a bush or tree? Thanks.
Nate

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 08:51:27 AM »
Loquats are one of my favorite trees. Completely ignored them when growing up and most people on my little island in GA along the border of SC don't even know they are edible, and several varieties grow like weeds, mostly from seeds. I like Sherry and Champaign varieties personally even though I cant keep them alive for some reason in FL(gold nugget and big Jim grow great). I was there for an extended period staying with my parents for an operation before retiring from military and noticed all the loquats growing wild everywhere. Its a magical island, would have made a great multi-crop plantation if you could have gotten it back before it was a neighborhood. Figs and citrus grow insanely well. As do other things like loquats. Talking one of my neighbors had a three story tree blocking his view of the water that he cut down, I got some seedlings off that if the deer would leave them alone :P

Now I haven't been too impressed with the taste compared to Sherry but they aren't bad. But my dad and his hunter friends, once I informed them they were in fact edible started collecting bags of these fruits and sit there and work on their projects munching down on them and saving seeds. Now they have started seeding their hunting sites. One of his friends owns a few hundred acres a bit inland and has planted hundreds of them around his hunting cabin. They have spread them as well to some of the barrier islands which are already infested with Iberian pigs. Be interesting to see in a few years. Also a neat if inefficient method of getting new varieties. One we found near the D&R dock had huge leaves compared to the already normal large loquat leaves, talking foot long leaves.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »
I grow my Loquat as a tree. The heavy fruiting on my tree seems to take away a lot of its vigor. I also top worked several branches of my Loquat which seems to have slowed it down even more.

Simon

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »
Already posted this elsewhere but the best Loquats i have ever eaten were from a seedling of a Brazilian fruit growing in Germany and producing fruit regularly despite the cold climate. This year it produced over 80 kg of huge, tasty fruits:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMsqexWF_U

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 10:56:51 PM »
Already posted this elsewhere but the best Loquats i have ever eaten were from a seedling of a Brazilian fruit growing in Germany and producing fruit regularly despite the cold climate. This year it produced over 80 kg of huge, tasty fruits:

Very productive white-fleshed loquat.

It would be interesting to see if the size increases appreciably with thinning and if the flesh to seed ration remains the same or improves.

I still think it's a Mizuho grandchild.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »
In most years thinning was not necessary because it produced few fruit which were not significantly larger. But all the other loquats in town fruit once in 10 years so this one is by far the best tree. And the biggest and most beautiful, too.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »

That's a fat fleshy one! I am surprised to see it growing in Germany, did the owner start it from seed?

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 08:17:58 PM »
Yes, the seed was from Brazil.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
I grow my Loquat as a tree. The heavy fruiting on my tree seems to take away a lot of its vigor. I also top worked several branches of my Loquat which seems to have slowed it down even more.

Simon

Simon I think your loquat tree is stunted. My three loquat trees all thrive in really bad, clay type soil and fruiting has not slowed them down at all. It could be that your soil is even worse for loquat.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 09:20:36 PM »
Yeah, I’d have to agree with you. My soil is horrible and I don’t water or fertilize my tree much. It is also competing with a tremendous amount of weeds.

On years which I actually water and fertilize appropriately, I get huge fruit.
This link has pictures of my Big Jim fruits, larger than a chicken egg.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19882.0

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk