Author Topic: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world  (Read 170789 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Luc's Mexican Garcinia growing experiences around the world
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 06:58:59 AM »
But is that achachairu exactly the same fruit as the achacha from Australia? 

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 07:10:35 AM »
Bangkok this is a completely different species to Achachairu entirely hailing from Mexico it doesn't even look much like Achachairu and is much bigger. From what iv read on the forum near tennis ball size I think?
Of all my seedlings I would have to say I am most excited about this one! But many many years to go still as mine are only abit under a year old:(
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
Polling please.  8)
I  would think it's up to Luc to name it! I also use ' Luc's g\Garcinia'

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2015, 10:43:14 AM »
Bangkok this is a completely different species to Achachairu entirely hailing from Mexico it doesn't even look much like Achachairu and is much bigger. From what iv read on the forum near tennis ball size I think?
Of all my seedlings I would have to say I am most excited about this one! But many many years to go still as mine are only abit under a year old:(

I mean the achachairu that is on the pic together with luc's mangosteen.

Because there seem to be more fruits called achachairu and they also come in different shapes.

Luc said his mangosteen tastes better then an achacha from Australia so i wondered if he really had an achacha from Australia or he compared it with an achachairu from South america.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »

Bangkok , the achachairu in the pic with the Mex . Garcinia is from seeds from Bolivia . Over there a lot of these fruits are called achachairu ,we had several posts about that already . It is the same variety that is grown in Australia .

Because there seem to be more fruits called achachairu and they also come in different shapes.

Luc said his mangosteen tastes better then an achacha from Australia so i wondered if he really had an achacha from Australia or he compared it with an achachairu from South america.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »
Polling please.  8)

Good idea Oscar , we are also still stuck with the scientific name . After talking to some guys from Mex. universities we kinda agreed that it could be a subspecies of G. intermedia ( they really don't know either )

The common name should be short if possible a hint to the real mangosteen .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »
Polling please.  8)

Good idea Oscar , we are also still stuck with the scientific name . After talking to some guys from Mex. universities we kinda agreed that it could be a subspecies of G. intermedia ( they really don't know either )

The common name should be short if possible a hint to the real mangosteen .

What do you think of this nickname ?
Luc Vleeracker Osteen

Luvraosteen.

http://lv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luvra
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 12:56:11 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
how about lucosteen or manglucsteen or even mexosteen ;D

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
Limoncillo

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »

Bangkok , the achachairu in the pic with the Mex . Garcinia is from seeds from Bolivia . Over there a lot of these fruits are called achachairu ,we had several posts about that already . It is the same variety that is grown in Australia .

I see, then we can shake hands luc, i also never ate an Aussie achacha, without exaggerating. ;) ;D

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2015, 05:42:55 AM »

It's the exact same fruit, they just changed the name here for marketing purposes.

luc

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2015, 09:31:43 PM »
I never tasted an Australian grown Achacha , but the fruit in the pic I posted with the Mex. is the variety that is grown in Australia . The same variety of achachairu is also growing and fruiting in Guatemala and at Raul's and my place .
I had conversations with one of the Bolivian guys involved in this Australian deal , this was mentioned several times in this forum if my memory is right . In Bolivia this type of fruit is commonly called achachairu , just like we would say a mango , they do differentiate them by adding : small , sweet , sour , big , huge to the word Achachairu ....
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »
it seems like there is nobody who has fruited this tree outside of Mexico?

is that true?

if so, there is an international race at hand!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:14 AM »
it seems like there is nobody who has fruited this tree outside of Mexico?

is that true?

if so, there is an international race at hand!

Yuup, I think the Taiwanese have a leg up on Oscar by a thread! What happen to the fella in Texas that said his tree flowered in five years a year ago I recall; did he die & we haven heard from him or maybe his tree die from a Texas Freeze? Luc & Raul need to collect and categorize different strains if that possible base on taste, larger fruit size if applicable beside colors.  Luc this wild fruit, does the natives use the rind for any medicine (ethnobotany)?  Are these fruits sold widely in the region local market Luc?
😃

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
yes now I remember, Ed Self had fruit on his a while ago!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:47:13 AM by edself65 »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »
http://www.quisqualis.com/19imbejoy.html "For best growth and fruit production, keep trees where they get plenty of sunlight, and even though they will tolerate light shade, heavy shade will reduce fruit bearing". This is for Garcinia livingstonei. I claim to be no expert but they are in the same genus. Has anybody else besides Luc brought Mex Garcinia to fruition?

I don't know that Luc has brought it into fruition. I think he is just collecting fruits from the wild?
Mars all garcinias are different in how well they will fruit in the shade.

Which Garcinias fruit well in shade (achacha G. intermedia I know)?

Which garcinias need full sun to produce fruit?

Thanks!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2015, 03:18:04 AM »

One of mine is outgrowing it's shelter.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
In the cold snap we had a few months ago, one of my limoncillo (Mex Garcinia) plants looked fried, like it may not make it.  I am happy to report that despite have 1 light brown leaf for 2 months, and literally no area of leaf to make chlorophyll, it has started to come back to life, with 2 tiny leaves waiting to pop.  One of my achachas was also defoliated, but has sprung back pretty well.
~Jeff

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
In the cold snap we had a few months ago, one of my limoncillo (Mex Garcinia) plants looked fried, like it may not make it.  I am happy to report that despite have 1 light brown leaf for 2 months, and literally no area of leaf to make chlorophyll, it has started to come back to life, with 2 tiny leaves waiting to pop.  One of my achachas was also defoliated, but has sprung back pretty well.
That's good to hear:)how old is it and how cold did it take?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »

Not too cold--37 degrees but that spot in the yard was windier I think.  The plant is about 18-24" tall and had about 6 leaves IIRC.  I got it about 13 months ago (last March), so not sure how old it was when I got it. 
~Jeff

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »

Not too cold--37 degrees but that spot in the yard was windier I think.  The plant is about 18-24" tall and had about 6 leaves IIRC.  I got it about 13 months ago (last March), so not sure how old it was when I got it.
Thanks for the info:) this thread is really good for getting the low down on this plant if 37f can cauz leaf drop mine will be staying in a pot unless my next place is a few degrees warmer! Living in this cold river dip really is lame even having a river on the property doesn't make up for it lol
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »

Yeah, but I have another one, the same size, as well as 4-5 seedlings (5-6 inches tall), and they were all unfazed...I think the west side of my house turned into a frigid wind tunnel or something.

Thanks for the info:) this thread is really good for getting the low down on this plant if 37f can cauz leaf drop mine will be staying in a pot unless my next place is a few degrees warmer! Living in this cold river dip really is lame even having a river on the property doesn't make up for it lol
~Jeff