Author Topic: Spring growth on trifoliate hybrids meets 14 degrees F!!!  (Read 2132 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Spring growth on trifoliate hybrids meets 14 degrees F!!!
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »
With all the warm weather we've had the past two months this winter, as you all know, a lot of our fruit trees are starting or are in full bloom now. My trifoliata and trifoliate hybrids have started putting out little green shoots about a centimeter long. Obviously with the 14 degree low I had last night and barely getting above freezing during the past few days, all the peach/plum/crab/etc blossoms are toast, and the little citrus shoots are black. However, will this cold weather do real damage to the hybrid citrus trees as in loss of wood? Usually my citrus is late to wake up in spring, so no worries, but this year I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:10:55 PM by Citradia »

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: Spring growth on trifoliate hybrids meets 14 degrees F!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 01:36:11 PM »
Citradia,

I work in produce and I was told that GA stone fruit are in a world of trouble for a combination of not getting enough chill hours and now this freeze destroying all buds. How bad is it going to be?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »
It's bad. All my peach and apricot blossoms are trashed by the 14 degrees and 16 degrees the past two nights. I'm already resigned to the fact of no stone Fruits other than cherries which haven't bloomed yet, and my apples haven't bloomed yet. Mountain ash not bloomed either. Apples and sorbus bloom later here, so they are really the only reliable fruit trees to grow in these mountains. All my other stuff, including citrus is pretty much a gamble year to year; we drew a bad card with the warm February this year.

manfromyard

• USA, Ga, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »
We will probably have to buy those Michigan peaches this year again. My pears, figs, pomegranates got fried. The trifoliate got zapped, but my citrangequat is still fine. That kumquat genetic dna keeps it dormant for longer than my other fruit.