Author Topic: Achacha versus Mex. Garcinia - 5 years later  (Read 23594 times)

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Achacha versus Mex. Garcinia - 5 years later
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
I told my wife that i saw mangosteens on the market again (3rd time this year) and she said that now they can  produce them all year around like durian. So the Thai must have a new trick for that i guess.

Achacha can also fruit several times a year is what i read, can luc's garcinia also do that? ( in ultra tropical climate).

I am sure with time we can bred Luc's mangosteen to do anything, early bearing to late bearing varieties; given time.  Of 22 trees, I have already discovered a natural dwarf already, perfect potted plant for the folks in more challenging cold that could be brought indoor like Maryland.   ;D

Oh don't write that because you will be called a scammer by the "pro's"  who just have their first tree fruiting.  ;) ;D

So you planted 22 seeds and the one that stays smaller then the rest can be a dwarf? Then i also got many dwarfs here  ;). How do you know that it isn't something else that causes that small one to stay behind the rest?

Yes for the colder climates Luc's mangosteen might be the solution, i hope it really works then they can also be grown in S-Europe.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:25 AM »
Achachairus don't fruit more than once a year from what I know.Mangosteen can fruit twice a year and besides a large peak and smaller peak in late sommer and spring in the tropics (not equatorial areas) odd fruiting can happen any time in response to rain.

jmc96

• Wallarah, NSW, Australia, Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 05:33:25 AM »
Yes, we only see the Achachairus' in the shops here in February. Where's here? Near Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »
Achachairus don't fruit more than once a year from what I know.Mangosteen can fruit twice a year and besides a large peak and smaller peak in late sommer and spring in the tropics (not equatorial areas) odd fruiting can happen any time in response to rain.

I read that somewhere but it was about the achachairu, don't know how many variety's there are. I will try to find it again.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
Potted plant growers in Maryland? Mm, I wonder? Lol ... well I'm trying my best, a very generous member and friend on here gifted me an Achachairu seedling in 2011. It was about 8" but is now about 30" with some branches, so I'm praying I will fruit one in a pot. I really need to make a post on my humble collection. Coconut, get to work, so I can grow some new snow loving Garcinia. :)

bangkok: I've seen fresh mangosteen in the supermarket in Baguio in May/June and Oct/Nov so somebody is pumping these fruits out regardless of season ...

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
I believe ( NO , I am sure ) achachairu will do well in a pot with pruning , 2 of mine were cut down to the ground ( I call that a drastic pruning ) and recovered very well . I have several more growing in different locations in the orchard , full sun , full shade , filtered light etc...all do well . I must say that this variety did extremely well at Raul's place at sea level , full sun and maximum heat .

For those who missed it in previous treads : In Bolivia ' Achachairu ' is a general name for that type of fruit , like we would say ' a mango ' there are many achachairu's , over there ( Bolivia ) they call them ,  the small  , the big , the sweet , the acid and so on Achachairu .....after emailing back and forth with this Bolivian guy from Santa Cruz where they have the Achachairu festival each year  I was not able to get a more specific common name or even Scientific name .

Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »
I think my info about achachairu fruiting all year was for the lemon drop mangosteen, some websites also call that one achachairu. I can't find the info anymore.

Achacha can fruit in a pot, i read that several times. Also i read they grow very slow but mine grow fast enough. The ones that get more light grow faster but i don't dare to put one in full sun yet, only with shadenet.

I have one seedling that has sprouted 3 stems but they all stay very small, the ones with only 1 stem are 3 times taller.

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
I am calling you on this one; the Mexican Garcinia (Mexican Achachairu) does not exist.

What makes you say this?

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 01:45:48 AM »
Lol I can't tell if you are joking or being serious :o
Iv seen some pretty clear pics of lucs garcinia on this forum! My seedling seem to grow very different from Achachairu or mangosteen. I cherish the seedlings I got through seeds I bought from luc they are beautiful plants so far love the way the leaves feel:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:07 AM »
Iv seen some pretty clear pics of lucs garcinia on this forum! My seedling seem to grow very different from Achachairu or mangosteen. I cherish the seedlings I got through seeds I bought from luc they are beautiful plants so far love the way the leaves feel:)

Sounds like he is joking/trolling.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2014, 06:46:35 AM »

Sounds like he is joking/trolling.
Strange first posts :P dunno why people sign up just to troll! Nicest thing about this forum is the lack of trolls and good moderators who clean things up:)
Ronald, dude it's so easy to ask questions rather than make accusations before introducing yourself even.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
I am calling you on this one; the Mexican Garcinia (Mexican Achachairu) does not exist.

You and your friends and your acquaintances have never held this fruit (The Mexican Garcinia).
No fruit vendor in Puerto Vallarta knows of this delicious fruit.
You have never seen nor will you ever see large, clear, digital photos of this delightful tree in its fruited glory.
For many years now, no effort has been made nor will there be any attempt made, by its only source, to profile this wonderful tree.

This fruit is of the Loch Ness, Bigfoot, blurry UFO, Ebay super variety of fruits, and the only source of this fruit plays coy with
the characteristics of this elusive tree, but will sell you seeds, even thousand lots, from the delicious fruit of the tree.

The Rheedia, Garcinia Vleerackerii, Mexican Achachairu, Mex. Achacha tree and its intangible fruits do not exist.

It's pretty obvious this is a troll account,
And by the writing style and the subject matter, I would say it a certain member who we all know- the member who rants on about the precocious mangosteen that nobody believes.....

Ronald

• USA, NFM, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
Luc, would it possible to see recent photos of your Mexican Garcinia fruit?
I would especially like to see lateral & longitudinal cross-sections of your fruit.

5 years ago I got Achachairu seeds from Bolivia , they were shared with my friend Raul who has land at sea level .

The plants grew very well at both locations ( I am at 300 meters above sea level ) Mine were planted ( due to lack of space ) outside my property in the federal zone and were shopped down to the ground by some stupid municipal workers surveying the land . They recovered well and are now 1 meter . Raul's trees fruited this year, ripened end of August ,  so I had the opportunity to pick fruits today , I must say for a first fruiting they really produced a lot .

The first thing that came into y mind after eating a few was : Why didn't the Australians do their home work before planting 10.000 plus Achachas ? I am not saying the achachairu is bad but the Mexican Garcinia is a lot more superior in size , taste , juiciness , name it .....( and this is not a sales pitch )

So , to all of you growing Luc's Garcinia , pamper your trees , they are worth it. Pics below are of the Achachairu

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »

You and your friends and your acquaintances have never held this fruit (The Mexican Garcinia).
No fruit vendor in Puerto Vallarta knows of this delicious fruit.
You have never seen nor will you ever see large, clear, digital photos of this delightful tree in its fruited glory.
For many years now, no effort has been made nor will there be any attempt made, by its only source, to profile this wonderful tree.

This fruit is of the Loch Ness, Bigfoot, blurry UFO, Ebay super variety of fruits, and the only source of this fruit plays coy with
the characteristics of this elusive tree, but will sell you seeds, even thousand lots, from the delicious fruit of the tree.

The Rheedia, Garcinia Vleerackerii, Mexican Achachairu, Mex. Achacha tree and its intangible fruits do not exist.

And by the writing style and the subject matter, I would say it a certain member who we all know- the member who rants on about the precocious mangosteen that nobody believes.....

I am not sure if you are talking about me , if yes , I am taking this as a personal insult and I expect an apology . You are an ignorant . If you are so familiar with Puerto Vallarta why don't you ask the owner of Archie's Wok , I sell this fruit to them every year when in season . Do you know Dwight Carter from Guatemala , big time tropical fruit grower , he visited when the fruits are in season . You want pictures ? I could post hundreds but I am not gonna lower myself to your level .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2014, 06:51:17 PM »
Dorgon at ebay my favorite scammers of all time!  I guess his business at scambay selling bogus seeds to newbies, is slow so he is back haunting, actually annoying us victims who have been Dorgonized again!  Moderators sleep again, please clean this troll that keep popping up like the fart in my Asses. ;D :'( ;D

:):):)
Very good !!!
I say the same !!!

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2014, 06:56:24 PM »
Moderators,

Through the IP of the newbie member, you can check where he is from

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 07:24:46 PM »
Dorgon at ebay my favorite scammers of all time!  I guess his business at scambay selling bogus seeds to newbies, is slow so he is back haunting, actually annoying us victims who have been Dorgonized again!  Moderators sleep again, please clean this troll that keep popping up like the fart in my Asses. ;D :'( ;D

Very good !!!
I say the same !!!

Ricardo your cambuca is a blast 30 trees doing very well.  Your 400 seedlings of Luc Mangosteen did you find any dwarf in it yet? I buy a small batch from Luc each year.  My four year old tree one of them is only 22 inches and bushy with the height of my two year old.  I plan on getting some scion of the orange from the one raul mention and maybe the giant apple size & see how they graft here.

The Taiwanese have started to tissue cultures it and I think in a few year it will be available on an industrial scale.  Hopefully you can develop & select variety unique to Brazil.  Let me know if you find any red mutation, if plant have red streak in plant stems or leaves; that could be a bloodline. If it is variegrated we can sell it to Dorgon for big beaucoup buck (appalachian redneck slang for Uncle Sam overprinted dollar bill)! ;D ;) ;D

With best regard,
Jack

The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »

Very good !!!
I say the same !!!

Ricardo your cambuca is a blast 30 trees doing very well.  Your 400 seedlings of Luc Mangosteen did you find any dwarf in it yet? I buy a small batch from Luc each year.  My four year old tree one of them is only 22 inches and bushy with the height of my two year old.  I plan on getting some scion of the orange from the one raul mention and maybe the giant apple size & see how they graft here.

The Taiwanese have started to tissue cultures it and I think in a few year it will be available on an industrial scale.  Hopefully you can develop & select variety unique to Brazil.  Let me know if you find any red mutation, if plant have red streak in plant stems or leaves; that could be a bloodline. If it is variegrated we can sell it to Dorgon for big beaucoup buck (appalachian redneck slang for Uncle Sam overprinted dollar bill)! ;D ;) ;D

With best regard,
Jack

Hi Jack

I am happy the cambuca are growing well,
Luc mangosteen I dont have any dwarf, but I have a dwarf Achachairu, very small leaves like a really  miniature achachairu

With Best Regards

RIcardo

GROW

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

I am not sure if you are talking about me , if yes , I am taking this as a personal insult and I expect an apology . You are an ignorant . If you are so familiar with Puerto Vallarta why don't you ask the owner of Archie's Wok , I sell this fruit to them every year when in season . Do you know Dwight Carter from Guatemala , big time tropical fruit grower , he visited when the fruits are in season . You want pictures ? I could post hundreds but I am not gonna lower myself to your level .

I hope you don't think I was referring to YOU as the troll, I was saying that this Ronald account is a troll account for another member here, one who is always blabbering on about the magical purple mangosteen that produces in two years, it seems to me that this account and the other member I am referencing are one and the same.

keembo

• Papaikou, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »
My achachairus are doing quite well.  I just went out and picked a nice bunch of fruit.  Yes...five or six peels that are chopped a bit and then about a liter of boiling water poured on them and honey added, then refrigerated, makes for a great refreshing drink.  I have had two crops on achacha here in Hawaii, but one crop is much heavier.   I find the same with biriba.  The seeds of Luc's Mexican garcinia have had pretty decent sprouting and one now has the second set of leaves.  I will see how they do and anticipate a good crop in another five or six years.  That is about how long it took my achachairus to fruit and now they have quite large crops.  I am heading them back so as to not let them keep getting taller.  They grow for me fine in full sun or plenty of shade, as their fruit is shaded anyway for the most part.  They seem to grow so fast the second year that the leader sometimes bends way over, as it is too long and rubbery to be supported, so I have to stake it for awhile until trunk thickens up and top stiffens.  Oh well...,it is all fun.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
My achachairus are doing quite well.  I just went out and picked a nice bunch of fruit.  Yes...five or six peels that are chopped a bit and then about a liter of boiling water poured on them and honey added, then refrigerated, makes for a great refreshing drink.  I have had two crops on achacha here in Hawaii, but one crop is much heavier.   I find the same with biriba.  The seeds of Luc's Mexican garcinia have had pretty decent sprouting and one now has the second set of leaves.  I will see how they do and anticipate a good crop in another five or six years.  That is about how long it took my achachairus to fruit and now they have quite large crops.  I am heading them back so as to not let them keep getting taller.  They grow for me fine in full sun or plenty of shade, as their fruit is shaded anyway for the most part.  They seem to grow so fast the second year that the leader sometimes bends way over, as it is too long and rubbery to be supported, so I have to stake it for awhile until trunk thickens up and top stiffens.  Oh well...,it is all fun.
Welcome keembo to Luc's Mangosteen Club! How many LUCANGOSTEEN TREE do you have?  I am doing selection & breeding Over the next two decades and would appreciate if you have mutation or unique character in your plant please post here for us.  Being a new wonderful specie for the zone pusher like myself, we would appreciate any knowledge on their performance away from their Mexican homeland even if its tropical Hawaii! :)

With best regard,

Jack
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 04:51:59 AM »
Here are some pics of my lucs seedlings. Most grow like the biggest one but these guys abit different I dunno if it means they may express different  genes or if subtle differences in growing conditions cauz this?

This one grew three leaves to start instead.of two like the others

All the others new/first growth came out creamy yellow then darken to green this guy's come out pink like a light mangostana I dunno if this means they.will continue to be different though!

-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 10:18:44 AM »

I checked the IP of Ronald and it does not match any other forum member. It's possible that someone could go on another computer or phone specifically for a duplicate account but I doubt anyone would go through that much trouble to make a few posts.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Here are some pics of my lucs seedlings. Most grow like the biggest one but these guys abit different I dunno if it means they may express different  genes or if subtle differences in growing conditions cauz this?

This one grew three leaves to start instead.of two like the others

All the others new/first growth came out creamy yellow then darken to green this guy's come out pink like a light mangostana I dunno if this means they.will continue to be different though!

Stuart i'm not a mangosteen expert for sure, rather a greenhorn but i guess you do everything right to grow them. Maybe you have different (tap) water but i guess also in Bangkok the growers use tapwater on there precocious mangosteens. I see those grafted precocious tree's in every shop now so why do people buy them?

The precocious mangosteens from seed are a different story, i didn't specifically mean you by saying that they might not fruit within the given period because there are also members who want to grow them in their greenhouses in colder climates.
The seller Shefloral doesn't even send seeds to the colder continents, i guess that is to protect her business so she doesn't get bad reviews who are caused by growing the seeds in the wrong climate/soil or whatever. I think that is a smart move from her.

I don't know any negativ thing about tesp seeds from Bangkok and the seeds i got from them grow fine. If they might be the wrong species then i even understand that it might be because this vendor buys/swaps the seeds from all over the world to make a living. I don't see the problem with that and i even think that IF something is wrong with the seeds i will get replacement seeds, excuses and/or a refund. What else can a seller who works that way do? About the mangosteenseeds from tesp i believe that they developed them as said and i don't have any reason to think they are a scam. That doesn't guarantee anything of course but the price asked was also low, if i had been developing precocious mangosteenseeds myself then sure i would have asked much more money and for people who defamed me i would ask 10 times more.

On chatuchak weekendmarket the grandpa who sells date-palms told me that his seedlings fruit in 3 years. I read it takes like 7-10 years to get them fruiting and you even need male and female tree's. I don't know if that man is cheating or not but his shop had many customers. The other grandpa i met today on another big weekendmarket also had the same yellow date-tree's. I couldn't ask him how long before fruit but i bet he has never fruited a datepalm himself, he is just a seller who buys and sells. The prices here are so low that in Holland even the parkingcosts for 30 minutes would be 3times more then the price of what he asks for a datepalm. If i had to pay american prices for my tree's then i also would expect more quality and better info but hey this is thailand. On my way to that market the police stopped me twice, i was lucky that i didn't have to pay a bribe this time but also that is common in this country.

You can't compare everything in asia with how it is in the usa or africa or europe, it is what it is here and take it or leave it but respect the people who just do their job, they also have to follow the rules here and try to make a living out of it.

Well i hope to eat one of luc's garcinia one day, also i hope to eat an achacha but my seedlings are growing well. Much faster than the lemondrop garcinia intermedia seedlings that i grow.

My pingans and pedalai grow fast but 2 pingans died. I don't blame anybody for that because they sprouted well but sure it is frustrating. They are all in the same soil, same spot, same water so i have no idea what can be wrong.

Coconut i don't understand what you are writing, my english is not sufficient enough i guess. I hope you don't get rashes from it or you just have to scratch if it makes you itchy. I speak 5 languages and i think that's enough, i don't have problems with it though.

We all know now what car you have, you only forgot to tell us how old it is. After a few years they are totally worthless.
I know you do your best to improve fruittree's for free but that's still no reason to defame me. If you have problems with Dorgon then i can't help you even if i visit Singapore several times a year. If your seeds from him didn't sprout you could claim a refund from the creditcard company i guess. If you can't be bothered for that small amount then leave it. You know as well as me that Dorgon is not me and also not tesp-seeds. there are even more seedsellers from Bangkok i noticed this week, i don't want to mention that shop but you can find it with google.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »

I checked the IP of Ronald and it does not match any other forum member. It's possible that someone could go on another computer or phone specifically for a duplicate account but I doubt anyone would go through that much trouble to make a few posts.

Must be a current or past forum member ;-)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk