Author Topic: Duguetia, what's the deal?  (Read 1916 times)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Duguetia, what's the deal?
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
So after finding my last Duguetia dead and having a couple people tell me about abysmal germination rates and sudden death of seedlings.

I'm sorta wondering, what's the deal? Has anyone had any success cultivating these?

Has anyone figured out the trick to getting these to grow?
- David Antonio Garcia

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Duguetia, what's the deal?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »
I got a few to germinat so far, 6 out of 10 but early days yet. It's been 3 months now since seeds were sown and I had to pull seed off seedling as it started to shrivel, one I did that I've left them in my bathroom on the window sill where it's super humid. Any plants I have that seem to be struggling I put in there most come good after a week or two then slowly introduce them to the outside world once recovered. Generally works,
Russell

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
With great difficulty I have three 5-7 cm D. lanceolata seedlings with 4-5 leaves.
When I put germanated seed in pot with soil mix he does not develop, the root is not growing.
After month without any growinng I dug them out of the pots and planted into pot of adult Strawberry Guava.
Two weeks later, they started to grow. A month later, I again dug it and planted in pots with soil by S.Guava + forest mole soil.
Looks like they need special mycorrhiza or bacteria for good growing.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
Alex, did you not say that as a result of transplanting your Duguetia megalocarpa seedlings into individual pots killed them? Do you know if this was simply a result of transplant shock, or in fact caused by moving them from the strawberry guava?

My lone seedling is growing considerably slower than any other annonaceae spp. that I have experience with; however, it is wick and I expect it to shed it's shell soon. The four inch pot in which it is currently growing contains coconut fiber and composted wood chips that I stelized immediately before sowing-- I do not see how mychorrizae could have been introduced.

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 03:13:19 PM »
Patrick, I transplanted D. megalocarpa seeds with 1 cm root, not seedlings... After month growing in individual pots with soil-mix they have not grown even a quarter inch and began to die. Maybe I made ​​a mistake with the soil mixture.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk