Author Topic: Mango thief on the loose!  (Read 1158 times)

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
Mango thief on the loose!
« on: May 12, 2021, 03:52:11 PM »
Check this out, this douche bag goes out and wipes the whole tree clean.

If anyone recognizes please report it to the authorities. Thievery is a crime.

Mango season should always bring out the best in us, not the opposite.

One puts out so much time, energy, effort, funds and waits patiently for this special season of the year only to be robbed?

What a scrounger!  Arrrrggghhhhhhhhh

Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHeTax5piIYhhhhh
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Fiddler

• Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango thief on the loose!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 05:22:46 PM »
I wonder if it would help to write "Stolen!" in Magic Marker on each mango while it's still in the tree? Or maybe a rubber ink stamp with your phone number on it. You just know that Marielito is selling them at a flea market somewhere, and maybe his customers might not want stolen fruit.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 05:55:58 PM »
Excellant video & should be good enough to i.d. the thief.....

I had a few taken last year but they ran off due to activity on the street and 2 people glanced at them but did not want to pursue it with police.

So this year I have cameras ready like you have and I hope I don't video them stealing as I want my mangos; but if I do I will post the shamming crime for all to see...

I also put up no trespassing & video monitoring signs as I had just as well not have to try to find a criminal. I prefer scaring them off my property before anything is stolen.

Video looks great, good job... Also great that you got the TV station to broadcast & spread the shame to the thiefs friends etc...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 06:08:11 PM »
Video is from 2018.
John

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »
This guy has a problem of his right hip joint! He may have fallen from his ladder some time back.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 09:13:22 PM »
It would also be a sensible idea for the restaurant owners to place a camera set at an angle that will capture the vehicle's license plates.  That will offer up a positive and concrete ID.

Paul M.
==

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 11:54:07 AM »
I am starting to plant trees in my front yard. What is the best way to stop thrives-no trespassing signs, video cameras or high front yard fence? All 3? Not looking forward to this expense but I need to protect my fruit!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
I am starting to plant trees in my front yard. What is the best way to stop thrives-no trespassing signs, video cameras or high front yard fence? All 3? Not looking forward to this expense but I need to protect my fruit!
Unfortunately mangos are very tempting to everyone, Julie!  What I had in my front yard that never got bothered by anyone were sapodilla, soursop, jaboticaba, and avocado.  Sapodilla (Alano) is an extremely attractive tree.  I had mine right next to the street.  People were fascinated by the tree, but they didn't steal the fruit, mainly because they didn't know what the hell it was!  And they found soursop way too strange looking, and the fruit tends to hide under the canopy.  Jaboticaba fruit also hides itself somewhat as it grows on the trunk and interior branches.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:54:39 PM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 04:44:16 PM »

Also plant mango trees that do not put out attractive fruits. This is not too difficult if you do your research. What draws in human thieves are fruits that are>>>

Large
Red or reddish
Purple
Mysteriously elongated like Nam Doc Mai and Maha Chanok

You want fruits that are medium to small
That are green until one day they turn yellow and are ripe (Carrie does this) (same for me Pina Colada and the fruits are small)
Fairchild mango tree is a fine example. And tastes great
Sweet Tart too and I have one planted right by the road. 10 ft away.

Someone should start a thread "What mango fruits are plain looking, that taste great and are productive."

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 05:33:42 PM »

Also plant mango trees that do not put out attractive fruits. This is not too difficult if you do your research. What draws in human thieves are fruits that are>>>

Large
Red or reddish
Purple
Mysteriously elongated like Nam Doc Mai and Maha Chanok

You want fruits that are medium to small
That are green until one day they turn yellow and are ripe (Carrie does this) (same for me Pina Colada and the fruits are small)
Fairchild mango tree is a fine example. And tastes great
Sweet Tart too and I have one planted right by the road. 10 ft away.

Someone should start a thread "What mango fruits are plain looking, that taste great and are productive."
I don't know, z-man.  In my community (55+) all the mango trees are considered common property, and I've seen many people stripping green unripe mangos from the trees for the last month because they're greedy and they want to beat everyone else!
John

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2021, 07:28:31 PM »
I had someone stop and strip all the "blueberries" off my bush in the front yard.  We laughed our butts off as we watched him from the front window.  He never tried any, he was in such a hurry.
It was an aronia bush!

The refugee community garden that I run at my Mom's church had some of their plots picked clean last year, and the thief hit other refugee gardens on that same night.  Turned out it was another refugee, and he was selling his stolen goods at the local farmer's market. One place caught him on camera, and when he was ID'd by some of the gardeners, he was very surprised.  He figured that "his people" wouldn't turn him in.  Boy was he wrong!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk