Author Topic: Trying again - anybody growing Ilex guayusa?  (Read 3966 times)

amitzauber

• Israel
    • View Profile
Trying again - anybody growing Ilex guayusa?
« on: October 01, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
Hi all
I keep hearing about this one for long time

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Trying again - anybody growing Ilex guayusa?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »
Hi,
Im trying to experiment with all cafeinated Ilex species - Yaupon (I. vomitoria), mate (I. paraguariensis) and wayusa (I. guayusa). They need very different conditions for succesfull groving, Yaupon and Mate tolerate subtropical conditions well, while wauysa need more heat and humidity. ;)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 01:37:21 AM »
Hi all

Thanks
Yes i'm growing it, thanks to Fruitdork (MicAh). What do you want to know?
Have yerba mate and guayusa growing side by side and both doing well at my location.
Oscar

amitzauber

• Israel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »
Hi all

Thanks
Yes i'm growing it, thanks to Fruitdork (MicAh). What do you want to know?
Have yerba mate and guayusa growing side by side and both doing well at my location.

I would like to try them both.
Do you sell cutting or seeds?
I would like to try them as Tea source

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »
Hi,
Im trying to experiment with all cafeinated Ilex species - Yaupon (I. vomitoria), mate (I. paraguariensis) and wayusa (I. guayusa). They need very different conditions for succesfull groving, Yaupon and Mate tolerate subtropical conditions well, while wauysa need more heat and humidity. ;)

Interesting - I've been thinking about going into Ilex species, as you get a lot of yield relative to how much area / light you give them and don't need to bring them to flowering / fruiting. You omitted one that I know of: I. tarapotina (Té ó mate).  But I have no clue how you'd get ahold of it. It's from Peru.

https://www.gbif.org/species/5533911
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
Also I. cassine is interesting, it has some theobromine content in its leaves. Very easy to keep. I know I. tarapotina, but it is not easy to get live plants :) Next year I will try to prepare some young plants from Yaupon, Wayusa and Mate.  This year only one fruit on Mate and birds were faster than me so no any material for sowing :-\ 

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:17:57 PM »
Well, if you're adding in non-caffeinated Ilex species then you can't forget Ilex kaushue, aka large-leaved kudingcha (I. latifolia sometimes used interchangeably).  Very interesting chemical profile with it too  :)

Is vegetative propagation preferable for all Ilex species?  I know it's the most common approach  with I. paraguariensis, but that seeds are occasionally used as well.  I ask because live plants are a hundred times more difficult to get here (unless they come from Europe) than seeds.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:39:35 AM »
Well, if you're adding in non-caffeinated Ilex species then you can't forget Ilex kaushue, aka large-leaved kudingcha (I. latifolia sometimes used interchangeably).  Very interesting chemical profile with it too  :)

Is vegetative propagation preferable for all Ilex species?  I know it's the most common approach  with I. paraguariensis, but that seeds are occasionally used as well.  I ask because live plants are a hundred times more difficult to get here (unless they come from Europe) than seeds.
Seeds of I. paraguariensis (yerba mate) have a very short shelf life. Can be done if you get very fresh seeds. Once you have the plants much easier and faster to do air layers. Cuttings work also, but amount of take is low.
Oscar

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
Yes, you are right Oscar :) cuttings are faster but a lot of material is necessary... If you think abut seeds, hollies are usually dioecious so you need male and female plant  - not easy way
Wayusa take much better from cuttings than Mate for me. Cuttings are common way to propagate this species in Ecuador. But much decorative and I think easy for cultivate or propagate is Yaupon and it is native in US

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
Yes, you are right Oscar :) cuttings are faster but a lot of material is necessary... If you think abut seeds, hollies are usually dioecious so you need male and female plant  - not easy way
Wayusa take much better from cuttings than Mate for me. Cuttings are common way to propagate this species in Ecuador. But much decorative and I think easy for cultivate or propagate is Yaupon and it is native in US
Yerba mate is dioecious. I started with just one plant and propagated from that. So they all flower, but don't form any seeds.
I noticed when i Ecuador that they sell bags of guayuasa for tea in some stores. Had never seen it sold commercially before that.
Oscar

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 03:59:51 PM »
Yerba mate is dioecious. I started with just one plant and propagated from that. So they all flower, but don't form any seeds.
I noticed when i Ecuador that they sell bags of guayuasa for tea in some stores. Had never seen it sold commercially before that.

When you use the yerba mate for teas is it the leaf or the beans? 
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
Yerba mate tea is made from the leaves. At least that's how I do it.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 02:58:34 AM »
Traditionally, both leaves and stems.

I'm still getting used to the taste.  I have some mate, guayusa, and yaupon, they all taste pretty similar to me: like grass.  I've been blending a bit of unsweetened chai in when I brew it; I like the effect that the spices have on the taste.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
Im just trying to understand the male female thing and if it matters.  Sounds like no it doesnt matter unless you want beans.  Which no one uses?  Oscar was saying he was looking for a male plant.  Was just curious why?  It seems like most of the plants available online in the US are tissue cultures.  Probably all from agristarts.
Brad Spaugh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 03:47:09 AM »
Im just trying to understand the male female thing and if it matters.  Sounds like no it doesnt matter unless you want beans.  Which no one uses?  Oscar was saying he was looking for a male plant.  Was just curious why?  It seems like most of the plants available online in the US are tissue cultures.  Probably all from agristarts.
Yerba mate does not make beans, as it is not a legume. The plants make male and female flowers on separate plants, so if you want seed pods then you need both in order to have pollinated flowers. For drinking tea it does not matter which gender of plant you have.
Oscar

R.J.

• USA, Saint Petersburgh, Florida zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Heavenly Products Inc
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »
I have two large Ilex Guayusa mother plants I grow here in Florida. Haven't had any luck propagating them, or getting any seeds.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 07:38:18 PM »
I have two large Ilex Guayusa mother plants I grow here in Florida. Haven't had any luck propagating them, or getting any seeds.

Nice!  Is that one any more difficult to keep?

I have our native yaupon and I’ve got a Yerba mate.  I was able to propagate the Yerba mate from cuttings, idk if I had a lot of failures or not as sometimes I just go around cutting stuff and sticking the stems in pots, I discovered I had a small plant growing recently and it’s grown pretty quickly as I recently up potted to 1gal.

The native yaupon holly and the Yerba mate are both super easy to keep here in FL.
I’ve never processed for tea, is it a lot of work?  I am guessing roll em, dry em, etc; but never tried would love to hear from someone who’s done it before. 

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 11:41:25 AM »
Rex see Here
some said taste like grass
Not when smoked
Just had some Commercial stuff like that
(around same time someone gave me a sip of 150 buck tequila with same flavor )

https://www.foragingtexas.com/search/label/Caffeine

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »
I cassine is dahoon  Holly

There is proof Yaupon leaves that contain caffeine were traded all the way from the south to Near central IL. (by saint Louis MO about 10 miles East) (at bottom of this post see image of Illex vomitica / I. cassine )

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1208404109

Abstract

-Chemical analyses of organic residues in fragments of pottery from the large site of Cahokia and surrounding smaller sites in Illinois reveal theobromine, caffeine, and ursolic acid, biomarkers for species of Ilex (holly) used to prepare the ritually important Black Drink. As recorded during the historic period, men consumed Black Drink in portions of the American Southeast for ritual purification. This first demonstrated discovery of biomarkers for Ilex occurs in beaker vessels dating between A.D. 1050 and 1250 from Cahokia, located far north of the known range of the holly species used to prepare Black Drink during historic times. The association of Ilex and beaker vessels indicates a sustained ritual consumption of a caffeine-laced drink made from the leaves of plants grown in the southern United States.

Edit I have a few things on it
there are some people in Texas going around, and removing for the land owners
to sell tea (I have links if anyone is interested, but need to dig for them. )

The wood is pretty as well it's like pure white, and curls like horns.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:57:06 AM by Francis_Eric »

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 12:20:55 AM »
Yeah, I’ve had the tea before (Ilex vomitoria), just not done it myself. 

These guys sell it commercially-
https://yauponbrothers.com/collections/shop-now?gclid=Cj0KCQjworiXBhDJARIsAMuzAuwyiaCHx-7yj5-ADRBdNG6M715PWgQQGo81f__W8Qsoc3O0DNE-gEMaAnVaEALw_wcB