Author Topic: Ambarella (Spondias dulcis)  (Read 2531 times)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
Ambarella (Spondias dulcis)
« on: May 19, 2013, 12:45:28 PM »
I was given a gallon pot with a Ambarella tree in it. I am having trouble finding much information about it. Is anyone growing it and what can you tell me about the quality of the fruit and how to grow it. What I can find so far is that it does not like full sun so I will put it in a partially shaded area. I am putting it in a larger pot for now.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: Ambarella (Spondias dulcis)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Very nice fruit it can be eaten unripe crunchy as an apple, or ripe soft & sweet, large tree that can be pruned, cuttings root easily
El verde es vida!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
I believe that it is only young trees that like part shade. Mine is planted in full sun with no problems
- David Antonio Garcia

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
I was given a gallon pot with a Ambarella tree in it. I am having trouble finding much information about it. Is anyone growing it and what can you tell me about the quality of the fruit and how to grow it. What I can find so far is that it does not like full sun so I will put it in a partially shaded area. I am putting it in a larger pot for now.

I've had two. A dwarf that fruited a couple of times and died. The fruit was just so-so.

The second has never fruited. Both were plagued with scale, sooty mold, and white fly.  In an effort to get ahead of these issues I pugged the second one and it's just coming back but I have little hope for it.

Regards,

Gary

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the info. What time of the year will it fruit here in Florida?
I have an organic foliar spray I use that controls sooty mold and scale. I will have to find something to control the white flys.
I has a large bloom spike on it right now. I will take photo in the morning and post. Looks like it will be a very nice looking tree.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 09:46:50 PM »
The fruits took a L-O-N-G time to mature and ripen and were edible late in the year in northern Broward Florida. What foliar spray are you using?

I've tried neem, and insecticidal soap with limited success.
Regards,

Gary

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »
There is plenty of information on ambarella. You can try looking in the Morton book, Fruits of Warm Climates, it's online. The tree likes and fruits better in full sun. Here the main crop is in summer. Beware the standard sized tree can get very large. There is also a dwarf version.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk