Author Topic: Shaded area  (Read 2849 times)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
Shaded area
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »
I have an area in my yard where a large oak on someone elses property shades the area. The tree is south of my property and geve heavy shade moring through late afternoon. What can I grow that can handle this amount of shade and still provide fruit?

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Shaded area
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »
It depends on how badly the roots have invaded the shaded area also. More of a problem than the shade itself.
I think there is a list of shade tolerant plants on here, but I understand the site is outgrowing the search function already!?
A number of Garcinia like good shade. My big Lemon Drop did okay in full sun until a rampant bean vine grew over it - then it performed brilliantly!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:25:50 PM »
You can grow lychee, mango, jaboticaba, carambola, loquat, white sapote, longan, and more...

if you are pushing the zone limits, planting near a nice large oak tree can make all the difference.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
All I have to say is what a pain in the rear. My property is not shaded but my next door neighbor has a huge freakin colossal tree shading her yard. Of course this monstrosity is in the next yard over from her. This tree is 4 stories tall and needs serious trimming. One day some lightning and wind is going to hit and topple it and when it does it will cost thousands to dispose of. It would cost thousands right now to bring it back to a safe size////// no wonder the owner is too cheap to do the right thing. When it falls it will be her house that gets squashed like a June bug

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 02:49:37 AM »
It depends on how badly the roots have invaded the shaded area also. More of a problem than the shade itself.
I think there is a list of shade tolerant plants on here, but I understand the site is outgrowing the search function already!?
A number of Garcinia like good shade. My big Lemon Drop did okay in full sun until a rampant bean vine grew over it - then it performed brilliantly!

My thoughts exactly! I know of a lemon drop in almost total shade and still fruits well. Most fruit trees don't fruit well with that much shade. If you put a lychee or longan in that much shade it will grow but not fruit.
Oscar

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am going to move some potted trees into this area. I was not going to plant in ground. I would think that the Finger Line would do well in this type of environment. Will get the Lemon Drop and see how it does. Tryig to keep all of the potted trees to 15 gallon pots or smaller so I can move them to the greenhouse it necessary.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Totally agree Oscar...too much shade equals no fruits.

But if you can provide just enough sunlight, (sometimes less than 4 full hours of sun) and just enough protection from cold (provided by the canopy of the oak), you can get very decent crops of lychee, longan, and mango...even in cold areas of central FL (Oviedo, Sanford, Apopka, Winter Garden)

I see this happen all of the time...especially where the climate isn't suitable for tropicals.

My thoughts exactly! I know of a lemon drop in almost total shade and still fruits well. Most fruit trees don't fruit well with that much shade. If you put a lychee or longan in that much shade it will grow but not fruit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
Asimina triloba, northern Pawpaw, does well in shade in Zone 9b. Plant two or three varieties for cross-pollination.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:54:03 PM by Guanabanus »
Har

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
Coffee survives shade (and is reported to produce better fruit), although it grows slower.  Ultimately, whatever plant you grow there, sunlight = energy for the plant.  Little sunlight = little energy = not much fruit per year.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 03:57:54 AM »
Coffee survives shade (and is reported to produce better fruit), although it grows slower.  Ultimately, whatever plant you grow there, sunlight = energy for the plant.  Little sunlight = little energy = not much fruit per year.

Coffee is usually grown in full sun here, but it is usually grown above 1000 feet where there is plenty of cloud cover most of the time. In lowlands is where it needs some shade from larger trees.
You reminded me that cacao is another one, like coffee, that can tolerate quite a bit of shade.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk