Author Topic: Mulch  (Read 1630 times)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
Mulch
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
I have a stand of Bambo Greenstripe Vivax  (Bright yellow with green stripes, large leaves, tall and fast-growing, cold-hardy)
Phyllostachys vivax 'Aureocaulis' that is just now gotten big enough to produce large quanities of leaves.
I started using them in several planting beds and in a number of pots with tropical fruit trees as mulch/weed control. So far they are doing a great job of both.
Does anyone been using then and what should I be concerned about?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mulch
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:25 PM »
bamboo leaves make fine mulch. They are nearly self-mulching
Jeff  :-)

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »
Thanks Cm. I  was hopping that they were OK but you can sure get fooled sometimes. They seem to give you a continuous supply and the areas where I have used them they have given me complete weed control. I am going to get me an electric leaf mulcher and add them to the compost pile for fast breakdown.

swfruittreeaddict

• az/ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »
Bamboo make great mulch. Ive been spreading to other parts of the yard for years. Supposedly, the Silica in bamboo is good for the soil and other plants. Just something Ive read.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
Any recommendations for non invasive edible bamboo types? Would also be a plus if the bamboo had good construction qualities.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
We have one of the best collections in the continental US right here in Palm Beach @ http://www.tropicalbamboo.com/

They specialize in clumping types and have 100's to choose from.  I have three types in my yard, Emerald Green, Timor Black, and Buddha Belly. They all make great mulch and produce their weight in it yearly.  The problem with the edible types is you need a lot of space.  When you use the shoots they never get a chance to grow!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk