Author Topic: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree  (Read 36222 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Pina Colada Mango Tree
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:50 PM »
 ::)

OK....I got busted!!!!!

Gary

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 02:31:05 AM »
Does anyone have a picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree?  A picture of a productive Pina Colada mango tree would really help.

My PC is very productive. A closeup from last year. Delicious fruit that do taste a bit like a pina colada and with a pineappley smell and taste.

another photo

Zands-    Do you put Pina Colada in the Elite tier group with LZ, CC, Sweet Tart, Carrie etc.? or is this a tier 2 or even tier 3 Mango?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 02:38:36 AM »
For the record...my 3gal baby PC from Top tropical sent a billion blossoms and actually fruited one tiny Mango that dropped after about 2 weeks....This is most definitely a 1 year graft and already was able to at least produce one tiny Mango...
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 08:54:54 AM »
Zands-    Do you put Pina Colada in the Elite tier group with LZ, CC, Sweet Tart, Carrie etc.? or is this a tier 2 or even tier 3 Mango?

Those two above photos were a joke. My PC is still small and is slow growing. I had two bland fruits from it last year. This year - a profusion of beautiful panicles that look better than what I see on other mango trees, but no fruits stayed. Might have been raining and fungus hit them.

So I cannot rank the fruit. I see some Pina Colada fruit evaluations in this sites archives.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=166.msg1960#msg1960

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4111.msg149168#msg149168

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »
Still looking for a REAL photo of a productive Pina Colada mango tree.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
These newer Zill varieties have only been released and available for 2 or 3 years so you aren’t going to get anyone posting a picture of a mature tree.  You are also not going to be able to fully determine any aspect of what production will be or can be from any of the grafted trees that have been purchased/planted since its release in 2011/2012 (I can't remember off the top of my head the year it was released) as they are far too young.  This has been said, over and over but some refuse to listen.

The Pina Colada was productive when it was 40-14 and mother tree be productive since it has been named Pina Colada.  I have seen the mother tree however I am not at liberty to post any pictures of it.
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
Still looking for a REAL photo of a productive Pina Colada mango tree.

YOU post that picture one day - I look forward to seeing your loaded with fruit!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:59 PM »
These newer Zill varieties have only been released and available for 2 or 3 years so you aren’t going to get anyone posting a picture of a mature tree.  You are also not going to be able to fully determine any aspect of what production will be or can be from any of the grafted trees that have been purchased/planted since its release in 2011/2012 (I can't remember off the top of my head the year it was released) as they are far too young.  This has been said, over and over but some refuse to listen.

The Pina Colada was productive when it was 40-14 and mother tree be productive since it has been named Pina Colada.  I have seen the mother tree however I am not at liberty to post any pictures of it.

Wait a second, slow down, let me try and understand this. So what you're saying is that because this tree was only released two or three years ago that no one will be able to post a pic of a productive fully mature tree? How is that possible? Please explain it again one more time.. some of us are really damn slow.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 02:24:45 PM »
maybe Rob is lying so he can have all the productive trees to himself  ::)

If it doesn't fruit by the time I get the tree home, it's no good to me.  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
Hate to say it, but Rob is a filthy liar. I have a 15 year old cocktail mango tree composed of pina colada, sweet tart, galaxy, and orange sherbet.

For those in doubt, here's the picture:

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
^ Looks legit.  ;D  :P
Alexi

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2014, 04:59:30 AM »
The force is strong in these "Mango Trolls"

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:23 AM »
Hate to say it, but Rob is a filthy liar. I have a 15 year old cocktail mango tree composed of pina colada, sweet tart, galaxy, and orange sherbet.

For those in doubt, here's the picture:

Too legit to quit.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 09:09:23 AM »
The force is strong in these "Mango Trolls"

hahahaha
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »

www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:27:30 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 05:36:21 PM »
Lol  :o

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 07:33:57 PM »
Dang Cleaners!!!! i can't believe you quit the Pina Colada tree so quickley?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
well, that's one way to make sure that you never know whether or not the PC will produce well in your yard. This was a very abnormal year with a) lack of cold and b) tons of rain -- both are bad for mango production. I probably wouldn't base my judgement calls on what trees live or die on an abnormal year. Ohh well. Not my yard.
Jeff  :-)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:26 PM »
Put a Tommy Atkins in its place.  Better yet, cut down any tree that has not produced prolifically in the first two years.  Tommy Atkins has crazy production.   Who cares about flavor anyway?

EDIT:  Wait !  I forgot about Donkey Killer !  Plant a grove of those bad boys ! ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 08:28:15 PM by Sleepdoc »

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
I hope that isn't the PC tree. If so, I guess destroying it instead of offering it to those who have recently joined this forum, or are new to growing their own fruit was a mature decision. Hopefully nobody reading this takes your approach to tree care.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
Pina Colada thoughts
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »
Same as Mr Clean, my Pina Colada is a slow and frustrating grower. Easily the worst grower of my new Zills which are also LZ and ST (Sweet Tart). My pina colada also having a bizarrely wide diameter at the base at the graft. Also having a branching out that is 50% of optimum. For comparison I have another grafted tree next to it, planted at same time, that is growing 3 times better. I will post photos.

I hope my pina colada is not on some kind of dwarfing rootstock. Doubtful that it is on a Zill experimental dwarfing rootstock but I wonder.....

pina colada had a spectacular bloom this spring but held no fruits. Hopefully this big bloom means some fruit for 2015. But with such slow growth I hope I have the future orientation to remove all 2015 fruits except one. On iffy trees there is a low anxiety, I am always thinking/wondering ahead about what it will do next year. Anxiety about wasted space in my non-infinite size yard because I do have non-mango trees in pots that need to be in ground but I lack the space. Make that wasted in ground growth time too for these deserving but presently potted fruit trees.

BTW I think it is always good idea to have an army reserve of "new soldiers" growing in pots in case a fruit tree has a disaster or tastes awful. If you never plant them you can always sell them. I recently sold a muscadine grape I was waiting to plant that had great new growth on it simply because four months ago I stepped it up from the original one gallon to a three gallon pot. Thus the buyer has a better head start, She bought it to have grape vines covering part of a garden gazebo, to cool it in summer.

Anyone know when Pina Colada fruits tend to come in? Mid-season or outside mid-season?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:23:39 AM by zands »

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2014, 10:59:58 PM »
Dang we would have loved to had all that Scion wood in Texas!

Ed

rbody2

• USA, FL, Plant City, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 12:13:09 AM »
I hope that isn't the PC tree. If so, I guess destroying it instead of offering it to those who have recently joined this forum, or are new to growing their own fruit was a mature decision. Hopefully nobody reading this takes your approach to tree care.
I do not know anything about PC mangoes, but I would have happily paid for that one.   :-[. I can' t wait until I get a tree that size.