Author Topic: mango recommendation  (Read 5317 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
mango recommendation
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:21:33 PM »
Would like to get the opinions from everyone on a mango selection.  I am in the process of removing the stump of a big haden mango tree and want to replace it with a smaller mango variety. I have to take into consideration that the location is relatively close to walls (4-6 ft away).  also, my house is on the border between the dry and wet parts of my valley.  so would the selected variety would be more resistant to fungus.  as far as the varieties I know I can acquire, these are the ones I have come up with:  Carrie, Cogshall, Fairchild, Julie, Kook Long Krom, and alampur baneshan. 

I would love to hear everyone's opinions on which would be grown (and managed) best in a small area and has a better chance for resistance to anthracnose. 

thanks, lance

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: mango recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:43:20 PM »
Of those listed  Fairchild looks like a good option.   Julie and Carrie I know also are somewhat easy to control but question is, do you like them personally,  they can be a favorite to one person and the bane to another. I have no experience with the others.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 12:51:19 AM »
OK, let's see, you want a small, manageable mango tree, for a small area, got it.

I have 'Fairchild,' 'Carrie,' and 'Young.' Since I don't know your taste opinion of 'Fairchild' or 'Carrie,' I would want to play it safe and recommend a 'Young' (Tebow) grafted mango tree.

As always, please ignore at least the first two years of mango production.

My experience with the 'Young' is that of great resistance to anthracnose disease.

The tree is a consistent and productive producer of excellent quality mango fruit.

The 'Young' mango fruit is fiberless. The seed is very thin, the subtle sugar content makes the mango taste even better, IMO.

My tree is only about 4-5 years old, so I don't know how big it'll grow. From what I've observed so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the growth habit is like that of 'Carrie,' which grew to 20-25 feet and never needs to be pruned.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:25:44 PM »
Do not even consider the Young (no offense, Jack).  I dont know what a Julie would do in your coinate and conditions,  act like a Julie in the Caribbean or like it does in Florida.   Do you even like the flavor of the Julie?  My recommendation would be a Fairchild.

By the way, why not use the haden as rootstock and graft onto it?
- Rob

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:54 AM »
Any of the listed I think I would be ok with.   The Julie I liked a lot but apparently it's a either u like it or not type.   I was also recommended graham.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
With all due respect to Jack, I have both 'Fairchild' and 'Young.' Overall, 'Young' is way superior to 'Fairchild.'
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:57 PM »
With all due respect to Jack, I have both 'Fairchild' and 'Young.' Overall, 'Young' is way superior to 'Fairchild.'

No offense, and for you all that matters is what you like so I am not attacking you but in general, you are in the extreme minority here. 

Also, as Graham was mentioned...I would pass on this one too.  It is Julie-like, a seedling from Julie, and the fruit does not live up to the Fairchild/Richard Campbell hype.
- Rob

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 07:31:40 PM »
I guess it's down to Fairchild and kook long krom (since nothing bad was said so far!). I appreciate the opinions of everyone that have shared so far.  I'm surprised as to the lower opinion of Julie. I happened to like a lot the one I ate...but it all comes down to personal preference.  here in Hawaii we're all about haden/white pirie...at least that's what we grew up eating so mangoes that tend to taste/have similar texture score high here I would imagine.  my wife for examples loves mapuhehu (haden derived).  all the other mangoes so far have been 'meh' to her.  but the main thing is if I can find a mango tree that can grow small in the area that I am able to plant it in is the best mango.  thanks again to everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate it very much!

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:25:56 PM »
If space is your main concern, I would plant the cogshall. Easy tree to control, good fruit that has a different but not unfamiliar taste compared to Haden. IMO it is better than haden but has a very short shelf life.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 11:06:52 PM »

No offense, and for you all that matters is what you like so I am not attacking you but in general, you are in the extreme minority here. 

Also, as Graham was mentioned...I would pass on this one too.  It is Julie-like, a seedling from Julie, and the fruit does not live up to the Fairchild/Richard Campbell hype.

The only problem with 'Young' to some, may be its subtle sugar content. So, if the required mango has to have the standard, 'Haden' like, classical sugar content, then I'd recommend to find a variety with all of the perfect quality attributes of the 'Young,' but with the desired sugar content.

Case in Point: 'Young' vs 'Fairchild'
Taste: 'Fairchild' has just a notch higher sugar content (then it's down hill from here)
Seed: 'Fairchild' has a noticeable thicker seed. The 'Young' has a thin seed, and when I say thin, I mean 'thin.'
Size: 'Fairchild' is a smallish sized mango. 'Young' is a solid medium sized mango.
Flesh: Since 'Fairchild' is a smallish mango with a somewhat thick seed, the flesh content in the 'Fairchild' is much less than 'Young.'
Fiber-content: 'Fairchild' & 'Young' are both fiberless.
Anthracnose-disease-resistance: Very Good for both,
Tree: My 'Fairchild' tree is growing at quite a fast clip. The 'Young' is growing noticeably slower., it reminds me of the 'Carrie' tree.

Summary:
The first time I tasted 'Young,' the first thing I noticed was the subtle sugar content. Having grown up with average sugar content mango varieties like 'Haden,' 'Keitt,' ... I noticed the drastic contrast of the 'Young' being a mango with perfect characteristics, as mentioned above, but with a subtle sugar content. Then, I decided to do try something out, in the course of 2-3 years, I've notices that members of my family just love this mango. As I mentioned in the Mango Reviews Thread, we've been giving away large quantities of different variety mangos this year, and the overall noticeable favorite is the 'Young.' Finally, I gave it the King Solomon test. I told members of my family that I wanted to cut down the 'Young' and replace it with the recently purchased, heavenly food of the gods, the 'Lemon-Zest' mango, and well, the response I got back made me feel like some kind of really unpopular heretic.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:19:35 PM by LEOOEL »

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »
i have NEVER heard or read about Young being so good...does anyone else have an opinion on Young vs Fairchild?  And does Young go by another name?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:14 AM »
you don't need Young...unless that's all that's available.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »
i have NEVER heard or read about Young being so good...does anyone else have an opinion on Young vs Fairchild?  And does Young go by another name?

I think Young has been marketed as Tebow.  http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/tebow-mango.shtml

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »

Tree growth aside, I feel as though this variety is greatly under rated.  After tasting one from Squam's orchard I am so happy I planted a tree.  IMO the flavor is well balanced and delicious.  It doesn't have a complex profile like some of the most desirable mangoes but it lacks nothing in terms of completeness.  In fact, after eating one it left me with a refreshed palate wanting more.  I would say it may be considered semi-sweet (I love sweet).   The best attribute would be the the perfect texture and flesh quantity.  After hearing all of the negative comments prior to eating a perfectly ripened young I was amazed by how good it was. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:08:31 AM by FruitFreak »
- Marley

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »
I like the Young/tebow also. I purchased a tree from Benders a year ago after I tasted it, it is still to young to bear and  I have purchased a few fruits again this year and was not dissapointed.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:05 PM »
And that is why there is chocolate and vanilla.  I am not saying anyone's likes are right or wrong, maybe a little skewed  ;) :o 8) but not wrong, I am basically speaking on my opinion and somewhat overall of the masses.  There is also a reason why it is not widely propagated...just sayin.
- Rob

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 01:56:03 AM »
If you have ever have the opportunity to taste a Carrie and like it - I say plant CARRIE! Smallish, compact growth habit which is easy to control and does not have a lot of fungal/disease problems. At least here in Central Florida. And if you are able to get your hands on trees, would you not be able to get some fruit to try??? I'm actually thinking of trying to topwork my Haden to a Carrie... Just food for thought! Also, Julie might do well on an island with lots of salt air sea breezes - but in my yard it seems to have serious fungal issues. I'm located about 8 miles from the beach. Also , Julie is the grandparent of Carrie, so you might want to try first. Good luck with your choice and planting!!!

E.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
If you have ever have the opportunity to taste a Carrie and like it - I say plant CARRIE! Smallish, compact growth habit which is easy to control and does not have a lot of fungal/disease problems. At least here in Central Florida. And if you are able to get your hands on trees, would you not be able to get some fruit to try??? I'm actually thinking of trying to topwork my Haden to a Carrie... Just food for thought! Also, Julie might do well on an island with lots of salt air sea breezes - but in my yard it seems to have serious fungal issues. I'm located about 8 miles from the beach. Also , Julie is the grandparent of Carrie, so you might want to try first. Good luck with your choice and planting!!!

E.

Seabreezes, hmm...  I live a few miles inland from the ocean and up against the mountain base.  I live on the border between the dry part and wet part of my valley.  Right now, I'm going between kook long krom and Fairchild.  Carrie may be an option.  But I haven't had a chance to taste that one yet.  Fairchild I thought was good, but a little to fiberless for me.  I want something to chew on..a little bit at least. but I thought the taste was nice!  Thanks to all for the advice. 

As for the Young/Tebow, we don't have that here in Hawaii as far I as I can tell. 

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 04:44:28 PM »

E.

Seabreezes, hmm...  I live a few miles inland from the ocean and up against the mountain base.  I live on the border between the dry part and wet part of my valley.  Right now, I'm going between kook long krom and Fairchild.  Carrie may be an option.  But I haven't had a chance to taste that one yet.  Fairchild I thought was good, but a little to fiberless for me.  I want something to chew on..a little bit at least. but I thought the taste was nice!  Thanks to all for the advice. 

As for the Young/Tebow, we don't have that here in Hawaii as far I as I can tell.

If you want something with slightly more fiber than a Fairchild, then you definitely do not want Carrie.  A Carrie is about as soft of texture as it gets with a mango.  Maybe you should look into a Pickering.
- Rob

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
I can be happy with a Fairchild's texture.  I just have other preferences, but am realistic as to what I can and can't do with the section of the yard I can use to even consider planting a mango.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
x2 on the Pickering!!  A great tasting mango and one of the smallest trees out there

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
I I for Pickering as well. Great mango. Hopefully its available in the Islands.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk