Author Topic: Beverly Mango  (Read 9126 times)

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Beverly Mango
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:13:51 PM »
I notice that Beverly is seedling of Cushman. How close is flavor of Beverly to Cushman. Is it safe to consider Beverly as an improved Cushman?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Beverly Mango
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Its actually not a Cushman seedling. At the time Beverly got selected the Zills didn't even grow Cushman, which was pretty much restricted to the Miami area back then.  The USDA pedigree analysis has been off on a number of instances and this is one of them.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
I notice that Beverly is seedling of Cushman. How close is flavor of Beverly to Cushman. Is it safe to consider Beverly as an improved Cushman?

Regardless of pedigree accuracy, the flavor is not similar to Cushman and Beverly, while quite a nice late mango in its own right, is not an improved Cushman by any stretch of the imagination.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I did not know the USDA was wrong on those analysis.  I was hoping for an improved Cushman when I purchased this tree. Hopefully the fruit is just as good as Cushman. With the limited info on Beverly, I purchased based on Cushman seedling and that Harry thought highly of Beverly. Hoping for sweet fruity with no piney or turpentine.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »
Hopefully the fruit is just as good as Cushman.

I like Beverly but its not in the same class as Cushman in terms of flavor.

Its a more productive tree from what I've seen though, so its got that going for it.

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »
Can someone provide a brief description of the flavor of Beverly?  I realize taste is subjective, but a general description certainly helps classify the flavor somewhat.  It's become clear the logic behind choosing this variety was not accurate.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »
beverly is a good mango. trying to recall the flavor ... it's sweet without a tart component and some resinous flavor. definitely not as good as cushman.
Jeff  :-)

mangomaniac2

• Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:10:03 PM »
Thanks Cookie! That was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like the Cushman is the one to get when you can find it.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Beverly mango; a must have?
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:40 PM »

I have a few questions for the mango experts.

I have space for a small to medium mango tree. I am torn between Rosigold and Beverly. Can Beverly be kept small? Is the growth habit  comparable to a Carrie? 

I know one fruits later in the season and the other is the earliest of them all, but in terms of taste, which is better?

Squam256

• View Profile
Re: Beverly mango; a must have?
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Can Beverly be kept small?

Yes, with reasonable pruning.

Is the growth habit  comparable to a Carrie?

It isn't quite as spreading as Carrie. The level of vigor is in the same range though.

in terms of taste, which is better?

I think Beverly is better.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »

Thanks Alex.

Wonder why few people seem to talk about Beverly.. Is it productive?

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
I tried a few Beverly's last year and i really liked the flavor  ...  prefer it over Carrie also  ... plz don't rip me mango snobs ;D :-[ :-[ :-[

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:54:41 PM »
Yes, Beverly can be kept small...and depending on your space you may not have to do much to it.  It is definitely one of the better late mangoes, far better than Keitt.  While I like Neelam, it does not seem to be consistent in its quality or quantity of fruit whereas Beverly produces consistent quality fruit.  I would say production is medium. 

Between Carrie and Beverly,  Carrie is early season, usually a very good producer of what many deem an excellent quality fruit.  I would say Carrie will ultimately make a larger tree but it too can be managed with proper pruning.

While you have to make your own decision,  I would weigh which is more important,  early season or late season.
- Rob

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I thought the choice was between Rosigold and Beverly, not Carrie and Beverly?  In any event, I would agree that Beverly is better than Rosigold but a perfectly ripe Carrie is something to behold. 
George

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
I thought the choice was between Rosigold and Beverly, not Carrie and Beverly?  In any event, I would agree that Beverly is better than Rosigold but a perfectly ripe Carrie is something to behold.

see post from 5:46pm today, question was between Beverly and Carrie.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 09:17:56 PM »
I've been scrutinizing this thread looking closely for misinformation.  I am happy to report that it seems there is a lot of "right on the money" advice and analysis here. Good job guys. I have let my Beverly get shaded out to some degree.  This would be a tribute to its less than vigorous growth habit as opposed to my pruning efforts.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »

see post from 5:46pm today, question was between Beverly and Carrie.

I have a few questions for the mango experts.

I have space for a small to medium mango tree. I am torn between Rosigold and Beverly. Can Beverly be kept small? Is the growth habit  comparable to a Carrie? 

I know one fruits later in the season and the other is the earliest of them all, but in terms of taste, which is better?

Upon reviewing the post from 5:46 today, I would ask you to review the same post  ;)   The question seems to be between Rosigold and Beverly while Carrie was just thrown in as a point of reference regarding the growth habit of Beverly. 

George

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 09:39:50 PM »
Touché,  George.  I could say I made my comment based on the fact that I would not even consider Rosigold when mentioning Beverly and Carrie, and while I feel its true, that would just be a BS excuse to prove you wrong.
- Rob

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 12:39:00 AM »
It's not often that the Broad Street Bully submits.  The Trini Mafia must be running things now! ;)

Touché,  George.  I could say I made my comment based on the fact that I would not even consider Rosigold when mentioning Beverly and Carrie, and while I feel its true, that would just be a BS excuse to prove you wrong.
JC

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:10 AM »
My mature Beverly produces reliably without spraying.   :)

I don't always have the best luck as to when to pick it and when to eat it, but that may be because it's locked in my tenant's backyard.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »
Dan - the fruit must get a full yellow coloration cor proper eating results.
- Rob

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »

How precocious is Beverly? I hope it is not like some Asian cultivars like PPK.. Is it more like a Glenn or a Carrie in that regard?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
The 'Glenn' has low fiber, while the 'Beverly' has no fiber; according to Murahilin's Thread, "The Ultimate Mango List:" 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T5yroo6oqvsERObsP-LtgS_zX43TkEMcqtf4_CajGGE/edit?usp=sharing

From the information on the The...List, after using some basic parameters like (1) fruit-weight, (2) Dessert, (3) No-fiber, (4) Disease-Resistance, (5) Mid-and/or-Late-Season, and (6) Consistent-Production, I came away with two varieties: 'Beverly' and 'Golden-Lippens.' So far, everything on this Forum seems to indicate that 'Beverly' has the superior taste over 'Golden-Lippens;'' thank you everybody for all the great info.

How precocious is Beverly? I hope it is not like some Asian cultivars like PPK.. Is it more like a Glenn or a Carrie in that regard?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:13:49 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2018, 02:16:10 AM »
My Beverly Mango Variety tree has produced its first fruit. And, the verdict is in: It’ exquisite! I figured as with other Mango Varieties, that the first fruit would be of inferior quality, but not so at all. I’m really impressed! And, that’ saying something. I was informed in this Forum that the taste was superior to the ‘Keitt’ Mango, but I was totally caught off guard with the fireworks 💥 of its great 👍, sophisticated, gentle, high-class kind of taste; really something!

I used the same technique as for my ‘Young’ Mango tree, I didn’t pick the fruit off the tree. No, I let the fruit fall off the tree by itself. And, just like the ‘Young,’ no blemishes on the fruit from the fall! Perfect behavior IMO. - Side-Note: As I was peeling the fruit with a knife, I loved the feel of its skin. The skin somehow felt as if it was unusually and effectively protecting the fruit. - There were minor dots on the exterior of the skin, which I suppose was a mild manifestation of the Anthracnose Mango Disease. But, in no way did the Anthracnose affect the quality of the interior of the fruit. The seed was very agreeably thin, although nowhere near as crazy-thin as my ‘Young’ Mango Variety tree.

I purchased this Beverly Mango Variety about 1.5 years ago. I planted it about 1 year ago. Right now it’s about 4 feet tall. I know I should have removed the fruit buds to let the roots strengthen, but no regrets so far. If it dies, it would be somewhat devastating. I need it to live & Thrive; can’t wait for next year.

As far as which one do I prefer between the ‘Beverly’ and the ‘Young’? Answer: With all due respect, I cannot go there, at least not yet, maybe next year. It’s just that I love’m both. BTW, the Season for the ‘Young’ is earlier and totally separate from the ‘Beverly;’ Thank Goodness 😅!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2023, 02:05:41 AM »
How well is your Beverly doing now, LEOOEL? I bumped this thread  because I  planted a 3 gallon Beverly in March. 5 years later, your Beverly should be mature.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:09:08 AM by Greater Good »