Author Topic: Which Mango trees to keep in a container  (Read 9231 times)

spaceoak

• Zone 9b, North Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
Which Mango trees to keep in a container
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:06:11 PM »
I am thinking of keep two more of my mango trees in containers.  I already have a Pickering.
Does anyone have advice or experience on which would do best between:
Mallika
Nam Doc Mai
Rosigold
Glen
Neelam

spaceoak

• View Profile
Re: Which Mango trees to keep in a container
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:26 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to mention the Maha Chanok is a candidate as well.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »
BSbullie mentioned before that even the dwarfest of trees such as the Pickering can reach 20+ feet with enough time, but trees like you just mentioned can be pruned and kept in a container with regular maintence.

I'm going to try to keep Maha Chanok, Pina Colada(because it grows so damn slow!),and Pickering in a  container and gradually uppot them to a box size container, however, eventuall I think there comes a time when the tree can no longer be productive with good quailty fruit once it has gotten so big with a larger root system than it's container can hold, at least that's my assumption... so I'm thinking after about 8-10 years it would be a  good idea to have another graft of that tree already growing and ready to replace it.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »

Of the varieties you mentioned, Neelam and Maha Chanok would do the best in containers. Mallika is not a container mango.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
Neelam, NDM, and Rosigold. How big are your containers?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:57:10 PM »
They r n 3 gal containers now. I will step then up to 20" pots.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Why is Mallika not a good container mango?  I've read that they are good in containers in a few threads sites

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
Why is Mallika not a good container mango?  I've read that they are good in containers in a few threads sites

Mallika is a moderately vigorous tree that will get 20 - 30 + feet tall.   Someone coined it a condo mango which is a term people should ignore as it has no real meaning and just seems to make people think it can be kept in a pot on the balcony of a condo. ..which is far from the truth.
- Rob

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 10:04:43 PM »
BSbullie mentioned before that even the dwarfest of trees such as the Pickering can reach 20+ feet with enough time, but trees like you just mentioned can be pruned and kept in a container with regular maintence.

I'm going to try to keep Maha Chanok, Pina Colada(because it grows so damn slow!),and Pickering in a  container and gradually uppot them to a box size container, however, eventuall I think there comes a time when the tree can no longer be productive with good quailty fruit once it has gotten so big with a larger root system than it's container can hold, at least that's my assumption... so I'm thinking after about 8-10 years it would be a  good idea to have another graft of that tree already growing and ready to replace it.

Clay they can become pretty large in a small container, that's how they sell the big mangotree's here. I think you can keep it in a container forever if you use some bonsai techniques like rootpruning and branchpruning. Those big tree's in baskets also have fruit allready. Those baskets are nog huge or so, something like 25 gallon max but i guess bigger containers can hold bigger tree's as long as you water them enough.

I have mahachanok grafted onto my ndm-gold but it makes long branches and i hate that. It might be caused by the leafcutter weevils but i prefer to tip-prune them all the time.

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice.  I guess it makes me wonder if anyone has experience as to which of the following as the most vigorous growers.
Keitt
Alphonso
Lemon Zest
Peach Cobbler
Glenn
Mallika

I would plant the faster growers 10'-15' to the north of the slower growers.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 06:13:48 PM »
My nursery guy and I were discussing this awhile ago and we researched a bit, Graham was the best one we found and I ended up with.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:44 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice.  I guess it makes me wonder if anyone has experience as to which of the following as the most vigorous growers.
Keitt
Alphonso
Lemon Zest
Peach Cobbler
Glenn
Mallika

I don't know about alphonso, and have heard it does poorly here in FL, but I am pretty sure LZ is the most vigorous of this group.

Do you have all these, or are you considering them?

One thing to think about is your personal taste preference.  I got a bunch of trees at first that were recommended for container growing/keeping small (based on fairchild's info and PIN's website).  Then, I went to a huge tasting event at Fruit & Spice park last year, and got some fruit from some generous forum members, and realized I didn't care much for the fruit, and had to replace them with varieties I like better. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »

Mallika is a moderately vigorous tree that will get 20 - 30 + feet tall.   Someone coined it a condo mango which is a term people should ignore as it has no real meaning and just seems to make people think it can be kept in a pot on the balcony of a condo. ..which is far from the truth.

Mike from Benders Grove has a mallika on his property that is a beast--It grew right through the pot and into the ground.  It grows right up over the roof (probably like 20+ feet) and I believe he prunes it back each year. 
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
I don't know about alphonso, and have heard it does poorly here in FL, but I am pretty sure LZ is the most vigorous of this group.

Do you have all these, or are you considering them?

One thing to think about is your personal taste preference.  I got a bunch of trees at first that were recommended for container growing/keeping small (based on fairchild's info and PIN's website).  Then, I went to a huge tasting event at Fruit & Spice park last year, and got some fruit from some generous forum members, and realized I didn't care much for the fruit, and had to replace them with varieties I like better. 

I do have all but the Lemon Zest.  I bought them in October.  I recently read the great advice about trying them first.  It was a little to late since I already had them, but I will have to bring my wife to a tasting event this season.  We have different tastes when it comes to mangoes, but both love them a bunch.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:29 PM »
I also recommend visiting Walter Zill's fruit stand in Delray Beach.  He and his wife are great hosts, and their mangoes are out of this world.  I know it's not close for you, but definitely worth the trip if you can.
~Jeff

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Keitt
Alphonso
Lemon Zest
Peach Cobbler
Glenn
Mallika

Lemon Zest, followed by Keitt.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:08 PM »
Yes, a true Alphonso is a relatively poor producer here in Florida. I would not give it a prime location.
- Rob

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 05:06:37 PM »
Yes, a true Alphonso is a relatively poor producer here in Florida. I would not give it a prime location.
Thank you all for the information and great insights. 

Interesting way to put it Rob - "true Alphonso".  I have to take the nursery's word until it fruits I guess.

I got my Alphonso from a local nursery with a good reputation, but they just bought it and resold it.  The tag says it is from Hopkins Nursery.  Anybody have experience with them.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »
Thank you all for the information and great insights. 

Interesting way to put it Rob - "true Alphonso".  I have to take the nursery's word until it fruits I guess.

I got my Alphonso from a local nursery with a good reputation, but they just bought it and resold it.  The tag says it is from Hopkins Nursery.  Anybody have experience with them.

Yes, I am familiar with Hopkins.  There have been multiple "forms" Alphonso that have been circulated (not sure what it stemmed from although if Hopkins got it from Zills it should be the real deal).  Did yours come with any ID tag?
- Rob

spaceoak

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:57 PM »
Yes, I am familiar with Hopkins.  There have been multiple "forms" Alphonso that have been circulated (not sure what it stemmed from although if Hopkins got it from Zills it should be the real deal).  Did yours come with any ID tag?

Yes, Yellow printed tag says Alphonso with Hopkins Nursery on it. Also has generic mango care instructions with the Hopkins website printed on it.

My Keitt appears to have come from them.

I thought about buying the Alphonso\Kesar from POG but I wasn't sure what I would be getting.  Then I saw this Alphonso for a good price with out shipping.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 11:25:23 PM »
Keitt
Alphonso
Lemon Zest
Peach Cobbler
Glenn
Mallika

I have a Glenn that was a a 6' stick when I put in in the ground 9/2011 and now has a canopy that is over 12' high 12'x12' ++ wide and has a 4"+ trunk and has bloomed profusely early January.

Regards,

Gary

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 06:16:29 AM »
This is a list I have compiled through the years from recommendations from various posts on this forum and garden web for container mangos.  I would be interested in hearing the mango gurus take on it.  Although I own most of these, I have not had them long enough to give any comment from practical experience.  I yield the floor to the mango professors in the room. 

Alempur Baneshan
Alfa
Amrapali
Angie
Chocanon
Cogshall
Cushman
Doubikin
Dwarf Hawaiian
Fairchild
Graham (with great effort)
Ice Cream
Imam Pasand (With great effort)
Irwin
Jehengar
Julie
Kesar
Kook Lom Krong
Langra Benarsi
Maha Chanok
Mallika
Manila
Manilita
NDM #4
Neelam
Okrung
Okrung Tong
Ott
Pickering
Prieto
Rosigold
Toledo
George

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 09:41:18 AM »
This is a list I have compiled through the years from recommendations from various posts on this forum and garden web for container mangos.  I would be interested in hearing the mango gurus take on it.  Although I own most of these, I have not had them long enough to give any comment from practical experience.  I yield the floor to the mango professors in the room. 

Alempur Baneshan
Alfa
Amrapali
Angie
Chocanon
Cogshall
Cushman
Doubikin
Dwarf Hawaiian
Fairchild
Graham (with great effort)
Ice Cream
Imam Pasand (With great effort)
Irwin
Jehengar
Julie
Kesar
Kook Lom Krong
Langra Benarsi
Maha Chanok
Mallika
Manila
Manilita
NDM #4
Neelam
Okrung
Okrung Tong
Ott
Pickering
Prieto
Rosigold
Toledo

Alempur Baneshan
Amrapali
Angie
Cogshall
Dwarf Hawaiian
Fairchild
Ice Cream
Imam Pasand
Jehengar
Julie
Kook Lom Krong
Manilita
Neelam
Pickering
Prieto
Rosigold
Toledo

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Do people here really get a fruit crop in these trees? I have seen photos but are those experiences the exception?  I have a Mallika in a pot which has been up-potted a number of times and has flowered heavily- but Ive never actually seen fruit.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
Do people here really get a fruit crop in these trees? I have seen photos but are those experiences the exception?  I have a Mallika in a pot which has been up-potted a number of times and has flowered heavily- but Ive never actually seen fruit.

I had a Mallika in a 15 gal pot, was about 4-5 feet tall, and got i belive 7 fruit from it (can't remember but I think it was 10 altogether and after animal destruction, harvested 6 or 7 good ones).
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk