Author Topic: Relative size between six mango varieties  (Read 5982 times)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Relative size between six mango varieties
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
I'm planning a mango grove with multiple trees of several varieties and need to know the relative growth habits between them. I'm trying to determine which may be more or less vigorous or would need more or less space.
These will be grown in full sun conditions so if you have experience with these please let me know from smallest to largest.

Carrie
Mahachanok
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest
Cotton Candy
Peach Cobbler

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Relative size between six mango varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »
I don't have cotton candy or peach cobbler, but the other four would be in this order (most vigorous at top):

Lemon Zest - Upright and vigorous
Sweet Tart - Upright and semi-vigorous.
Carrie - Wide and dense. A fairly vigorous grower.
Mahachanok - Reasonably tame. Seems to have a sparse growth habit.

I'm planning a mango grove with multiple trees of several varieties and need to know the relative growth habits between them. I'm trying to determine which may be more or less vigorous or would need more or less space.
These will be grown in full sun conditions so if you have experience with these please let me know from smallest to largest.

Carrie
Mahachanok
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest
Cotton Candy
Peach Cobbler
Jeff  :-)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:06:55 PM »
I don't have cotton candy or peach cobbler, but the other four would be in this order (most vigorous at top):

Lemon Zest - Upright and vigorous
Sweet Tart - Upright and semi-vigorous.
Carrie - Wide and dense. A fairly vigorous grower.
Mahachanok - Reasonably tame. Seems to have a sparse growth habit.

Carrie
Mahachanok
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest
Cotton Candy
Peach Cobbler

Jeffs descriptions are perfectly inline with what I have noticed in the short time Ive been growing these varieties.
- Marley

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:19:29 PM »
Cotton Candy has been upright and semi vigorous here although not quite as vigorous as Sweet Tart
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 08:21:29 PM by dwfl »

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:49 PM »
Cotton Candy has been upright and semi vigorous here although not quite as vigorous as Sweet Tart

In my yard, Cotton Candy is upright and in the Keitt category when it comes to how vigorous it is.

The heaviest producers among the varieties mentioned are Sweet Tart and Mahachanok.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:20 PM »
In CA
Smallest to largest:

Maha
Carrie
Cotton candy
Peach cobbler
Sweet Tart
Lemon Zest

Warren

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:02:28 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. I needed to choose which to put closer to the edges and next to a driveway. It looks like Mahachanok and Carrie will take those positions and the others are similarly vigorous.

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:34:27 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:10:33 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
I just pugged my second lemon zest in an attempt to keep it short. I may have to pug my second sweet tart in order to keep it tame.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
Peach Cobbler is a compact grower for me in So Cal, in ground and on grafts too.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:14:59 PM »
Alex had Lemon Zest on his do not buy list.  The problems are causing the discontinuation of newly grafted trees.

Juicy Peach would be my choice

Here is his do not buy list and his suggested list based on disease susceptibility.

j-grow

• Merritt Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 08:25:40 PM »
I really wish I could read those lists ....... I'm planting 30 trees tomorrow and I think some of them are on that slow miserable death list ........

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:57 PM »
Alex is a smart cookie, but I might not agree with the recommendation to not plant, unless one is contemplating doing so in a commercial orchard setting. Even then, the sheer greatness of the fruit would warrant giving a few trees a shot.

I think the biggest reason it's on the do-not-buy list is its susceptibility to BBS. However, I think it's still possible to grow BBS susceptible trees successfully. The example I like to point to is that of my keitt trees. One had a terrible problem with BBS and what Alex calls "the rot," for several years. Yet, 25 feet away (trunk to trunk), my older keitt has never had an issue. Same goes for the neighbors' trees, one of which is just 150 feet away.

In a commercial setting, one would plant only the most disease resistant and reliably productive trees, and LZ wouldn't make the cut when compared with Florigon, Glenn, Tommy Atkins, etc on those characteristics.

Alex had Lemon Zest on his do not buy list.  The problems are causing the discontinuation of newly grafted trees.

Here is his do not buy list and his suggested list based on disease susceptibility.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 10:04:06 PM »
I really wish I could read those lists ....... I'm planting 30 trees tomorrow and I think some of them are on that slow miserable death list ........
On my computer, once I open the photo and click on it, the photo doubles in size and is readable. I believe there is a video of the presentation, or you could ask Alex(Squam) for details about his recommendations.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 10:11:21 PM »
Alex is a smart cookie, but I might not agree with the recommendation to not plant, unless one is contemplating doing so in a commercial orchard setting. Even then, the sheer greatness of the fruit would warrant giving a few trees a shot.

I think the biggest reason it's on the do-not-buy list is its susceptibility to BBS. However, I think it's still possible to grow BBS susceptible trees successfully. The example I like to point to is that of my keitt trees. One had a terrible problem with BBS and what Alex calls "the rot," for several years. Yet, 25 feet away (trunk to trunk), my older keitt has never had an issue. Same goes for the neighbors' trees, one of which is just 150 feet away.

In a commercial setting, one would plant only the most disease resistant and reliably productive trees, and LZ wouldn't make the cut when compared with Florigon, Glenn, Tommy Atkins, etc on those characteristics.

Most people attending or listening to these talks aren’t going to have enough space for 2 Trees of one variety on top of an existing collection of numerous others. The majority are going to plant a couple Mangos at best, many only one.

LZ’s major and fatal pitfall  at this point is it’s extreme susceptibility to MBBS, but it’s hardly it’s only drawback. It’s highly prone to powdery mildew as well (and is coincidentally sensitive to sulfur, to whatever degree that matters in someone’s PM control program), has a very vigorous growth habit, and flowers poorly (particularly as a younger tree). It also tends to suffer from excessive abscission issues and the fruit’s flesh  can be prone to internal breakdown.  Outliers notwithstanding,These observations are based not only on my own experiences growing about 20 LZ trees, but also field notes from other growers in multiple regions.

Thus It’s probably a bad choice particularly for backyard growers with few trees AND commercial growers that can’t afford “black holes”. I suppose for people collecting numerous varieties, having one around may not matter much in the long run. But if you’re the typical backyarder and depending on it for your fruit year-after-year, it’s just not a wise choice in the era of MBBS, particularly with so many other excellent cultivars now available.

We lost almost all our LZ crop last year to disease, and that was with a spray routine that most regular people growing them wouldn’t  come close to following . It’s bad enough that Gary Zill won’t even graft it anymore, and Walter cut his down. We may ultimately topwork our dozen or so remaining trees unless we can recover a sizable enough percentage of the crop to justify keeping them around.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:31:58 PM by Squam256 »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
Thanks CM and Alex for the commentary.  As it tops my list, it is a must have.  Reminds me of those infamous flower bulbs that sold for the price of a home...only later to find their uniqueness stemmed from a virus...and their demise.

It will be interesting to see how seedlings of Lemon Zest fare. 

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:02 PM »
Thanks CM and Alex for the commentary.  As it tops my list, it is a must have.  Reminds me of those infamous flower bulbs that sold for the price of a home...only later to find their uniqueness stemmed from a virus...and their demise.

It will be interesting to see how seedlings of Lemon Zest fare.

Fwiw, Orange Sherbert *appears* to posses better resistance and superior overall production traits. While I slightly prefer the flavor of LZ, others disagree and it may offer the best alternative to backyard growers seeking a similar flavor profile.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »

Most people attending or listening to these talks aren’t going to have enough space for 2 Trees of one variety on top of an existing collection of numerous others. The majority are going to plant a couple Mangos at best, many only one.

LZ’s major and fatal pitfall  at this point is it’s extreme susceptibility to MBBS, but it’s hardly it’s only drawback. It’s highly prone to powdery mildew as well (and is coincidentally sensitive to sulfur, to whatever degree that matters in someone’s PM control program), has a very vigorous growth habit, and flowers poorly (particularly as a younger tree). It also tends to suffer from excessive abscission issues and the fruit’s flesh  can be prone to internal breakdown.  Outliers notwithstanding,These observations are based not only on my own experiences growing about 20 LZ trees, but also field notes from other growers in multiple regions.

Thus It’s probably a bad choice particularly for backyard growers with few trees AND commercial growers that can’t afford “black holes”. I suppose for people collecting numerous varieties, having one around may not matter much in the long run. But if you’re the typical backyarder and depending on it for your fruit year-after-year, it’s just not a wise choice in the era of MBBS, particularly with so many other excellent cultivars now available.

We lost almost all our LZ crop last year to disease, and that was with a spray routine that most regular people growing them wouldn’t  come close to following . It’s bad enough that Gary Zill won’t even graft it anymore, and Walter cut his down. We may ultimately topwork our dozen or so remaining trees unless we can recover a sizable enough percentage of the crop to justify keeping them around.

Does it's parent, Lemon Meringue, have the same issues?
Alexi

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 11:21:46 PM »

Does it's parent, Lemon Meringue, have the same issues?

It definitely gets bacterial spot but does not appear as bad as LZ or several others.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 11:47:37 PM »
Curious. I haven't seen that in the trees down here in this part of broward. Granted, there aren't many planted out, but I know of one in Margate which was gifted to a friend of Walters well before LZ was released. It's been a productive and disease resistant tree for many years. PM is a minor issue here, and yes, this cultivar is highly sensitive to sulfur.

Internal breakdown on LZ is only an issue if not given enough calcium, and in this regard, it's middle of the pack compared to most other cultivars. Fortunately, lack of calcium is not a problem for most of Broward :-). OS sets fruit a lot better (dozens of bb's per panicle), but it's way more prone to jelly seed, and per my experience is MORE vigorous than even LZ.

Walter will cut just about anything down. He did cut down his orange essence tree several years ago (and numerous others as well :-). And the last I spoke with him, he was on the verge of axing the OS too :-). Memory is escaping me, but I vaguely recall him wanting to chop Fruit Punch as well. He's a bit of an oddball.

The biggest drawback to LZ (here at least) is lack of precocity and need for chill to flower. So, it does require some patience. I do think that dooryard trees are under far less disease pressure than those grown in an commercial orchard scenario.

I find it slightly odd that Gary has decided to abandon the LZ when he grafts and sells notoriously disease prone trees such as Julie and East Indian. But, alas, those foolish dooryard growers aren't typically concerned with reaping commercial-level crops; they look to flavor as a primary concern :-).

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »
Curious. I haven't seen that in the trees down here in this part of broward. Granted, there aren't many planted out, but I know of one in Margate which was gifted to a friend of Walters well before LZ was released. It's been a productive and disease resistant tree for many years. PM is a minor issue here, and yes, this cultivar is highly sensitive to sulfur.

Internal breakdown on LZ is only an issue if not given enough calcium, and in this regard, it's middle of the pack compared to most other cultivars. Fortunately, lack of calcium is not a problem for most of Broward :-). OS sets fruit a lot better (dozens of bb's per panicle), but it's way more prone to jelly seed, and per my experience is MORE vigorous than even LZ.

Walter will cut just about anything down. He did cut down his orange essence tree several years ago (and numerous others as well :-). And the last I spoke with him, he was on the verge of axing the OS too :-). Memory is escaping me, but I vaguely recall him wanting to chop Fruit Punch as well. He's a bit of an oddball.

The biggest drawback to LZ (here at least) is lack of precocity and need for chill to flower. So, it does require some patience. I do think that dooryard trees are under far less disease pressure than those grown in an commercial orchard scenario.

I find it slightly odd that Gary has decided to abandon the LZ when he grafts and sells notoriously disease prone trees such as Julie and East Indian. But, alas, those foolish dooryard growers aren't typically concerned with reaping commercial-level crops; they look to flavor as a primary concern :-).

Yeah, I'm not axing my LZ tree, unless I see that the fruits begin to show disease issues. It didn't flower for the last two years due to being severely trimmed back because it was too close to the power lines for the first time, followed by Irma ripping off half of the new branches that grew back this past September.
Alexi

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 12:58:37 AM »
I find it slightly odd that Gary has decided to abandon the LZ when he grafts and sells notoriously disease prone trees such as Julie and East Indian

Those are driven by entrenched demand from West Indians and can even perform well in certain areas (Julie does well along the coast here for instance).outside of some internet circles like this one,  Lemon Zest lacks that heavily ingrained recognition and demand: its small potatoes by comparison. Interestingly enough Julie, and virtually all of its descendants, appears to be resistant to both MBBS and rot.

MBBS and rot are huge concerns to those of us involved with mangos because they present the ability to wipe out entire crops of certain cultivars including many common existing ones, even in areas where anthracnose is largely a non-issue. An accumulation of disease problems can set mangos back tremendously much in the way it did for citrus ( which had/has problems independent of greening). For years anthracnose was largely the biggest limiting disease factor for mango, but now we have rot and bacterial spot on top of more aggressive strains of scab and anthracnose, along with the existence of mango malformation and strange things like “Pink disease”. And Seca hasn’t even made it here yet.

These rot and bacterial diseases are definitely not just problems for commercial growers....they actually started out in backyards. People in Manalapan and Hypoluxo, where we suspect the MBBS got introduced and has “built up” the most now watch their Kents and Keitts get consumed annually by this stuff. I’ve seen it, and have customers in other nearby areas who have shown me their rotting fruit too. These are folks with minimal numbers of backyard trees. And for bacterial spot, aside from wind/rain, the most common way the pathogen spreads is via infected nursery stock. Part of why Gary Zill is rightfully concerned about it.

I’m definitely not 100% sold on Orange Sherbert either but there (apparently) exists more promise there from the disease perspective. As far as LZ’s other noted problems, your typical backyard grower is unlikely to be even spraying sulfur (or copper) and highly unlikely to be applying bags of gypsum to correct their calcium deficiency should they have one ( and are probably just as likely to be creating one with over-applications of nitrogen). As I’ve frequently been asked what “not to plant” given the challenges associated with growing mangos, Lemon Zest goes on the list for them.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:29:03 AM by Squam256 »

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 07:54:58 AM »
I have a Lemon Zest in full bloom for the first time.  But I have other types to protect so depending on the issues I have with the fruit will decide if I keep it or not.

The O 2 is very clean next to the LZ.  That may be another choice...

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2018, 10:20:54 AM »
Which bacterias are causing these diseases in Florida? Scientific name I mean

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Right. I guess my hope is that this turns out to be like laurel wilt, where rather than toppling all (dooryard) avocado trees, it simply takes out a few here and there. The fact that one of my keitt trees has had BBS + "the rot" for years and the other is seemingly immune (despite being 25 feet away trunk to trunk) gives me hope.

Typically when a new disease is discovered, the first reaction is to overreact to the projected scope of the issue. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea of citrus being impossible to grow here. It is indeed averse to our high ph soil and has a number of diseases and insect pests, but I think the main reason we don't see them in dooryard situations is because the state came out with chainsaws to destroy them all. I'm back to growing citrus again myself, and it seems that with regular fertilizer application, they can do fairly well.

At any rate, I do appreciate all of your valuable advice here. Keep us informed with any new developments in this area.

I find it slightly odd that Gary has decided to abandon the LZ when he grafts and sells notoriously disease prone trees such as Julie and East Indian

Those are driven by entrenched demand from West Indians and can even perform well in certain areas (Julie does well along the coast here for instance).outside of some internet circles like this one,  Lemon Zest lacks that heavily ingrained recognition and demand: its small potatoes by comparison. Interestingly enough Julie, and virtually all of its descendants, appears to be resistant to both MBBS and rot.

MBBS and rot are huge concerns to those of us involved with mangos because they present the ability to wipe out entire crops of certain cultivars including many common existing ones, even in areas where anthracnose is largely a non-issue. An accumulation of disease problems can set mangos back tremendously much in the way it did for citrus ( which had/has problems independent of greening). For years anthracnose was largely the biggest limiting disease factor for mango, but now we have rot and bacterial spot on top of more aggressive strains of scab and anthracnose, along with the existence of mango malformation and strange things like “Pink disease”. And Seca hasn’t even made it here yet.

These rot and bacterial diseases are definitely not just problems for commercial growers....they actually started out in backyards. People in Manalapan and Hypoluxo, where we suspect the MBBS got introduced and has “built up” the most now watch their Kents and Keitts get consumed annually by this stuff. I’ve seen it, and have customers in other nearby areas who have shown me their rotting fruit too. These are folks with minimal numbers of backyard trees. And for bacterial spot, aside from wind/rain, the most common way the pathogen spreads is via infected nursery stock. Part of why Gary Zill is rightfully concerned about it.

I’m definitely not 100% sold on Orange Sherbert either but there (apparently) exists more promise there from the disease perspective. As far as LZ’s other noted problems, your typical backyard grower is unlikely to be even spraying sulfur (or copper) and highly unlikely to be applying bags of gypsum to correct their calcium deficiency should they have one ( and are probably just as likely to be creating one with over-applications of nitrogen). As I’ve frequently been asked what “not to plant” given the challenges associated with growing mangos, Lemon Zest goes on the list for them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:09:15 AM by Cookie Monster »