Author Topic: Flacourtia rukam / indica  (Read 1169 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Flacourtia rukam / indica
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
While in Florida I had the chance to visit Fruit and Spice park,  not much in season in October, but did come across a loaded Rukam.  I was much impressed by the fruit.  I had tried governor's plum in the DR ( indica ) which were ok, bit on the sour side.   but these Rukam from fruit and spice park,   tasted just like regular plums,  texture, size and color being the main difference.   

I also like the fact that, you could eat them skin and all.

Not much chat on these in this forum,  anyone else have experience with them. or have them growing?   I have what I think is a governors plum in a container,  been there for 5 years or so, I think flowered once, produced no fruit.   do they require pollinator?  or is my tree just too young still?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
Re: Flacourtia rukam / indica
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »
I have a single Flacoutia indica from seed I got from Goa,India more than 15 years back. It is a huge tree  (17 meters) and fruits once a year. When ripe I massage the fruit between my palms, then put in my mouth  and bite it to remove the seeds . The pulp and softened skin are quite sweet and tasty. Needless to say, the bats are also fond of them.