Author Topic: Dominican Mango Festival. 4th update  (Read 12366 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Dominican Mango Festival. 4th update
« on: June 08, 2013, 12:32:17 AM »
Today I went to Expo Mango 2013.  this year the event started tied in with an International Mango symposium .

I will update with videos and pictures in a few days.

Anyway, this year had plenty of varieties, and I was lucky enough to obtain a few mangoes to try out for the first time.

Nam Doc Mai,  ( Flower Nectar or whatever its translation ) is exactly that, a very sweet, silky smooth mango with floral overtones. I loved it,  My wife called it "a very feminine mango", because or the sweet aroma, smooth texture, and pointed shape.

St. Maui,  Very nice looking mango,  very colorful like a Tommy.  it felt soft to the touch, so I decided to try it.  it was not 100% ripe yet, but this didn't seem to matter, it tasted really good, very different than the NDM, St. Maui had a slight pine aroma, but just a hint that gives it an interesting flavor. I would like to try a fully ripe one.

The got plenty of surprises at the expo, I did not expect to see Gary Zill and his wife, at the event, very friendly.

I also met Noris Ledesma she was a speaker at the event, extremely nice person.  the whole group did tours to some plantations and packing house, which I filmed.
hopefully I will have this edited and uploaded this week.

I also have a question regarding the St. Maui.  I noticed the seed was rather big in relation to the fruit, which leads me to think it could be polyembryonic.  does anyone know for sure? Poly or Mono?   

Update 3:  4th Video upload.

I finished the first of a series of clips, here Noris Ledesma, gives her opinions on various subjects related to commercial mango growing, one of her suggestions is that the D.R. should breed or select a signature variety that is well adapted to the tropics, and does not require chemical flower induction, like many varieties bred in Florida. which are more adapted to a sub-tropical climate.    another issue is regarding the Keitt variety, she says that there is good progress in the DR, but one thing one must take into consideration is that Keitt mango variety is being planted all over the world, and soon the DR will be competing for the same market using the same mango variety.

http://youtu.be/qVHu0o7rr74

Second video:

A short clip of the varieties being sold to the public from the vendors at the event.   the big Pascuals sell for around 25-30 pesos  which is like 0.55- 0.75 cents dollars.
and the medium sized fruit sell for about a US1.50 a dozen.  One thing you may notice is how clean the fruit are in regards to anthracnose, which is rarely seen on Mangoes grown in this area of the country, salt breeze and little rain. make it the perfect place for growing mangoes.

http://youtu.be/u8afGh830iQ

3rd Video upload:

This is a video of the varieties display tables,  this year they covered the fruit with some kind of oil, I suspect this was doe to prevent flies or to preserve them for display, but I noticed that it had some affect on the coloration, causing some kind of variegation in the skin.  anyway, if your bandwidth allows it, watch in 1080p.

http://youtu.be/zATZtkgBaUc

4th Clip:

I had the chance to visit a private mango orchard, the owner has 100 varieties.  the owner gave permission for a small group to look around.  my only problem transportation was leaving in 30 minutes.  so I had to rush things a bit.  although I may get another chance to film inside again, but now is the best time because most trees had fruit on them.

This place was one of the best kept orchards I have ever seen here.   the trees you see that are heavily loaded with fruit, are Keitt of course.

http://youtu.be/Eg_uI71ZW4w

Other video on the way,  >plantation tour, 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:32:24 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dominican Mango Festival.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:04 AM »
TropicDude - can't WAIT to see that video.
Sounds like a great time was had by all.....

I'll be tasting my first home-grown NDM in another
6 weeks or so....yeah, I've heard it is a real sweety!

Gary

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:15:37 AM »
Hi William, Same here, can't wait to see the vid 8) Thanks in advance :) btw I enjoyed the vid you made, of them fruit trees growing and producing in pots 8)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 07:47:37 AM »
William Thanks, waiting for video.
Tell me more about St Maui, did you tasted it. Is it true about hints of guava??  I'm growing one. Is the fastest and strongest tree I have seen.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »
 :o i should go there before it's over.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
William Thanks, waiting for video.
Tell me more about St Maui, did you tasted it. Is it true about hints of guava??  I'm growing one. Is the fastest and strongest tree I have seen.

Actually now that you  mention it, I think your right, it did have a hint of flavor I could not identify,  wish I had more samples, only had the 1 fruit. and was not fully ripe.  but parts of it were, and I really liked it, it had a unique flavor.

Carlos, I should add that I met someone that grows Carla Avocado, commercially, and has offered me a couple trees, but I will probably not be able to make it to his town before my trip to the Florida which is next weekend.

:o i should go there before it's over.
Yes, do go, you have until Sunday, but today ( Saturday ) would be the best day, lots of events, and farm tours, if your interested in those kind of things.

TropicDude - can't WAIT to see that video.
Sounds like a great time was had by all.....

I'll be tasting my first home-grown NDM in another
6 weeks or so....yeah, I've heard it is a real sweety!

NDM is really top notch,  I feel this mango would be perfect for making gourmet deserts, that are made from mango,  the smooth texture, delicate and the sweet floral taste of the fruit.  If I did not already have a tree, I would get one.  hope mine starts fruiting someday.   I was able to see a big NDM tree in someones private mango orchard.  non of the fruits were split, as many in Fla report. but of course these tree are grown under Ideal conditions.

More testing:
For breakfast I tasted my first Carrie, this is another variety that has a very unique flavor to it. I am not very good at identifying flavors , but I would say it has some lemony aftertaste,  another interesting trait is the melt in your mouth texture.  I can see why this variety is loved by many.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:47 PM »
went there and it was quite nice  8)
took some pics which i'll post tomorrow.

tasted a lot of mangoes...so the new fav list now is 1-kent,2-parvin,3-haden,4-madame francine.
keitt to the hall of shame  ;)

it was a bit frustrating to see all the poly mangos for exhibition but not be able to buy them...but anyhow i have now a grafted madame and a dr dupuis avocado.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:38:06 PM by digigarden »

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:28 PM »
went there and it was quite nice  8)
took some pics which i'll post tomorrow.

tasted a lot of mangoes...so the new fav list now is 1-kent,2-parvin,3-haden,4-madame francine.
keitt to the hall of shame  ;)

it was a bit frustrating to see all the poly mangos for exhibition but not be able to buy them...but anyhow i have now a grafted madame and a dr dupuis avocado.

This is the 2nd Summer since my NDM was planted. As previously reported, there were originally about 30 mangoes and 13 of them dropped. I'm really looking  forward to enjoying the ones that are ripening. Fortunately, I have not lost any due to splitting.

My Carrie bloomed early and the cold snaps in February and March took out most of the blooms.I currently have 5 small ones that will be ripe later than usual.  Last year it produced about 15 and they were delicious. My wife, next door neighbor and I all detected a hint of coconut.
Michael

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
Mango Haul.

Not the best quality photos, color is washed out due to the florescent lighting.

Those little green round fruit on the left are Jujube.

The big mango is a 4.5 pound Pascual.

William

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »
WOW, William, looks like someone having too much fun!!!!! ;) 8)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 04:40:08 PM »
are you going to eat all that William?  :o

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
William, thanks for the pics and video it looks like a grand event.

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 06:21:37 PM »
William, sure looks like you had so much fun. Thank you for sharing the video and info..:)

Digigarden, Loved the last shot...Perfect way to carry the little babies to their new home...:) What varieties did you get?

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »
William, sure looks like you had so much fun. Thank you for sharing the video and info..:)

Digigarden, Loved the last shot...Perfect way to carry the little babies to their new home...:) What varieties did you get?

madame francine,mingolo,yamagui and dr dupuis avocado.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Re: Dominican Mango Festival. 2nd update
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »

Hehe no not all of them, half have already been given away,  keeping the rare ones, and some of the ones I like better. many wont be ripe for a few days. like the Glenn, and Palmer.

The Mingolo taste pretty decent, it does have fiber, but not anywhere close to the likes of Gota de Oro, and some others.  the Only Mango Noris decided to take back to the States, she liked the disease resistance, and firmness.  I like them better than the Banilejo. which I think is too small.

They had really good prices on grafted trees, I was happy to see they had some old school varieties for sale, like Palmer.  40 pesos for 1 gallon grafted tree, that is 1 dollar.
William

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
$1 for a grafted tree sounds like a reasonable price to me (insert sarcasm here).  Now if I can just find a local nursery that will price match!

Thanks for the videos and photos.  I'm looking forward to more.

Bill

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Hehe no not all of them, half have already been given away,  keeping the rare ones, and some of the ones I like better. many wont be ripe for a few days. like the Glenn, and Palmer.

The Mingolo taste pretty decent, it does have fiber, but not anywhere close to the likes of Gota de Oro, and some others.  the Only Mango Noris decided to take back to the States, she liked the disease resistance, and firmness.  I like them better than the Banilejo. which I think is too small.

They had really good prices on grafted trees, I was happy to see they had some old school varieties for sale, like Palmer.  40 pesos for 1 gallon grafted tree, that is 1 dollar.

did not see the palmer but i have one already from the botanics fair this year...i don't like the local varieties much either but hey they're edible and i even eat noni so no problem. Yes grafted plants are cheap here but that's a double edge sword as you can't make much $$$ out of the fruit tree hobby either. besides it's hard to find named cultivar fruit trees around here besides mango,avocado and some citrus.

now someone wanted more...here it goes

http://youtu.be/3VA5mhNu9sg

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:38:08 PM by digigarden »

Tropicdude

• View Profile
Re: Dominican Mango Festival. 3rd update
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
@digigarden

You got one table I missed,  ( see above 3rd video ) this was a good year for the varieties display, probably twice as much as last year.  all those fruit labeled coming from "San Cristobal" are from ex-president Hipolito Mejias farm. he gets a lot of rain though and sometimes the fruit are not clean, but this year they look pretty darn good.
William

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »
Impressive spread of mangos.

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
Hi Tropic Dude!
I got the pleasure to visit your beautiful Island a couple times so far, is so pretty and the food! Yuca,Mangu!
Guineos! Etc, I got from street vendors  a delicious"  " Puntica " mango then in the market in Santo Domingo I saw another one call either copa or gota de oro, which I taught at the time to be the same one,
This ones are beautiful mango but I didn't try it, do you know the flavour?, I also bought in a Stop light on the street a bag of a nice small ones, almost round call" Guerrero " which I planted along with the Puntica, they are like 4years old, don't fruit yet, I never was able to find you're famous Banilejo, claim to be the sweetest in the world! Is it really good? I really love your country but most your people are very genuine and friendly, I can't wait to go back!
Best Regards from Mexico!
El verde es vida!

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
Hi Tropic Dude!
I got the pleasure to visit your beautiful Island a couple times so far, is so pretty and the food! Yuca,Mangu!
Guineos! Etc, I got from street vendors  a delicious"  " Puntica " mango then in the market in Santo Domingo I saw another one call either copa or gota de oro, which I taught at the time to be the same one,
This ones are beautiful mango but I didn't try it, do you know the flavour?, I also bought in a Stop light on the street a bag of a nice small ones, almost round call" Guerrero " which I planted along with the Puntica, they are like 4years old, don't fruit yet, I never was able to find you're famous Banilejo, claim to be the sweetest in the world! Is it really good? I really love your country but most your people are very genuine and friendly, I can't wait to go back!
Best Regards from Mexico!

Hello Raul
Gota de Oro, is one of the earliest varieties in the season. very sweet, and very fibrous.  it is a favorite of some here, personally I am not fond of all the fiber in that one.

If you ask people on the street what there favorite is here,  most of the time "Banilejo" would be their choice.  this one is a small sized variety with fiber, but they are soft, flesh is firm, also very sweet. you can say Dominicans select their mangoes for sweetness, and texture is of secondary importance.

Puntica, the fruit as a pointed wedge shaped end, hence the name. not so noticeable in the pictures I posted.

The new Hybrid, Mingolo, had Banilejo as one of its parents, I do not remember what the other one was, although it has some fiber, I do not find it objectionable, and is bigger than a Banilejo.  in any case Banilejo is polyembryonic, so if you can get a seed, generally they come up true, this is the variety used as rootstock here also.  next Mingolo I eat, I am going to save the seed, and open it up, see if it is a poly. looks like it may be, because its pretty thick.   In the video with Noris, she has a mingolo, but that specimen is the exception, that one is a lot larger than the average size.  as you can see in my pictures, the Mingolo is about the size of a medium sized Glenn.

There are many other variations on the name "Gota de oro",  Crema de Oro, Grano de Oro, basically Oro just means its a deep golden color inside,  notice in the variety video, the deep orange color of the cut up fruit "Grano de Oro", true to its name. 
William

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 02:45:48 PM »
Awesome!  :)
Alexi

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
Digi....William - amazing varieties and scrumptious videos.....

I'm dizzy now...must recover.....

;)

Gary

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »
Digi....William - amazing varieties and scrumptious videos.....

I'm dizzy now...must recover.....

;)

Gary

Dizzy is right, I gave editing a break today, tired of looking at "that fruit", one more and my head will pop.  24 hr break is in order.
William

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the great post and photos. I have to seriously think about going next year. There is a boat that will bring trees and fruit to the tci...   Hmmmm:). Best,  dave