Author Topic: Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen  (Read 16214 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:41 PM »
Oscar,
I am 100% positive that the photos I posted are achachairus that I ate in Recife Brasil, on April 4, 2011.  I am also 99.999% sure that they are descendants of achachirus from Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  The .0001 % error margin is because I was not in Santa Cruz, Bolivia when the seeds were purchased by my close friend Romero.  Romero is currently the biggest producer of achachairu in Brasil.

Hi Berto, what you may not realize is that ALL of the rheedia specias in Bolivia are called achachairu. If you look at the book Frutas Silvestres Comestibles de Santa Cruz (Wild Edible Fruits of Santa Cruz [Bolivia]) by Roberto Vasquez, then you will see what i mean:
Rheedia arubayensis is called Achachairu Largo (long)
Rheedia brasilensis is called Achachairu Chico Cascara Blanda (little with soft skin)
Rheedia laterifolia is called Achachairu Comun Cascara Dura (common with hard skin)
Rheedia macrophylla is called Achachairu Grande Cascara Dura (large with hard skin)
Rheedia sp. 1 is called Achachairu chico amarillo de cascara bland (little yellow with soft sking)
Rheedia sp. 2 is called Achachairu de Buena Vista chico cascara dura (Little Buena Vista with hard skin)

So yes, what you bought in Bolivia was definitely an achachairu 100%, but it was not the achachairu that we were talking about. The one we were talking about is the one above called Common Achachairu. I think they call it common because it is considered the best quality and the one most commonly sold.
From the photos in this book it looks like what you posted was Rheedia sp. 2, Achachairu de Buena Vista. Yes they have two Rheedia species that they realized were either unnamed previously or could not figure out the correct latin name.
Btw, this is a very nice book despite a few errors, like Rheedia laterifolia.  But it is difficult to get it, and ofcourse is in Spanish only.
Oscar

Oscar

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Bolivian Mangosteen / Lemon Drop Mangosteen
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 09:29:28 AM »
Oscar,
Thank you for the additional information.
In conclusion, the achachairu I posted I call it Achachairu de Santa Cruz, Bolivia and I also call it Garcinia Laterifolia.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk