Author Topic: Reed Avocados in April?  (Read 1349 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Reed Avocados in April?
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi all, my two and a half year old Reed Avocado is dropping its fruit.  The tree is about ten feet tall and three or four feet diameter.  I let it hold three fruit last year and stripped the other fruits off.  Two days ago it dropped one of the fruit and today it dropped another.  The fruit are very big the first weighted over 24 ounces and the second weighted over 26 ounces.  I've read that Reed usually weight 16-20 ounces.  Is this true?  If so are these fruit dropping because they are ready?  Or are they too big for the small tree?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

The first fallen fruit is getting soft and I will try it tonight.

Bill

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Reed Avocados in April?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
If the tree had plenty of water then its tree age.  My 2 year old reed had 3 or 4 fruit last year and dropped this time last year.  My 2 year old Holiday just droped its 2 fruit.

The Reed that dropped last year has 30 or 40 fruit and no drops this year.
Brad Spaugh

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »
This produce place has Reeds ready right now, I was curious about why the Reed's would be ready right now instead of summer time (as most websites/info out there suggest).... Sounds like you are kinda on the same boat.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 01:02:46 AM »
My yard is on a drip system so water isn't an issue. I guess the tree just wants to drop them since it is young and blooming. The avocados are giant!  I hope they taste good. I'll report back.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 01:33:08 AM »
I ate one of the Reeds tonight. Though it was very very large it definitely wasn't mature yet. It tasted watery and bland. Hopefully the last fruit on the tree will hold. If not the tree is starting to bloom like crazy and I should have lots of avocados next fall.

Bill

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 10:09:45 AM »
Bill, same thig with my Holiday.  Was a bowl of watermole.  They will be better next year. 

My reed tree did the same as yours last year and is holding a ton of fruit this year.  They are smaller this year than the monsters it dropped in April of last year also.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:28:19 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk