Author Topic: Durian Alien Embryo  (Read 10237 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Durian Alien Embryo
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 04:46:05 AM »
Not me Bangkok but Isaan farmers in places like Sisaket, especially on basalt and alluvial soil.There is also maprang, mangosteen and sala usually watered by tilapia (pla nin) pond over flow. Loads of shade when they are young like Oscar said and lots of water. You need to baby them through April and May for 3 or so years.In Isaan they are planted in the shade of papaya,banana,and the edible flowered legume tree mmmmm and the edible foliaged legume and these are rotated when durian and mangosteen get bigger.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 05:54:16 AM »
Not me Bangkok but Isaan farmers in places like Sisaket, especially on basalt and alluvial soil.There is also maprang, mangosteen and sala usually watered by tilapia (pla nin) pond over flow. Loads of shade when they are young like Oscar said and lots of water. You need to baby them through April and May for 3 or so years.In Isaan they are planted in the shade of papaya,banana,and the edible flowered legume tree mmmmm and the edible foliaged legume and these are rotated when durian and mangosteen get bigger.

I see  well that even makes it easyier, she can plant her durian in the shade of another tree and if it grows we cut or prune the other one drastically. For the first year i will keep it under my carport connected to the sprinklers.

Maybe i will even make it a cocktail durian tree before it will be planted in full soil, i never heard of that before.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 06:36:12 AM »
Wow so productive... I can see 21 fruits from just that one picture, can't imagine seeing the fully loaded tree in person

This tree had over 125 fruits hanging on it.  If all goes well, this farm will produce will produce commercial Durian crops in a few years...
FloridaGreenMan

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 07:11:32 AM »
Hence i will give her another tree then, 2$ is worth trying.

Definitely keep trying!

Well my wife says she has never seen durian in Lopburi so also she doesn't believe it is possible. That is Thai thinking.

I completely agree with you here.  I get this same thing from my wife's parents.  Just because they know of no one growing it in a particular spot, they believe it cannot be grown there.  If we all took that attitude, many of us would be out of a hobby!  It just may need more work and care.   

The last bit of land we had well outside Bangkok supported most everything I wanted to grow except for the two durian we planted.  The soil sucked for the most part and at the time, had no tools or ammendments to try to improve.  Not having someone around to care for them didn't help matters.  Their conclusion?  Can't grow durian there.  Since the flood, we've sold this land and looking for something else.  Unfortunately, nobody but me is showing any enthusiasm for this.  My wife keeps asking why I would need to grow these trees when I could get them so easily from the markets.  Sigh...   :'( :-X

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
Hence i will give her another tree then, 2$ is worth trying.

Definitely keep trying!

Well my wife says she has never seen durian in Lopburi so also she doesn't believe it is possible. That is Thai thinking.

I completely agree with you here.  I get this same thing from my wife's parents.  Just because they know of no one growing it in a particular spot, they believe it cannot be grown there.  If we all took that attitude, many of us would be out of a hobby!  It just may need more work and care.   

The last bit of land we had well outside Bangkok supported most everything I wanted to grow except for the two durian we planted.  The soil sucked for the most part and at the time, had no tools or ammendments to try to improve.  Not having someone around to care for them didn't help matters.  Their conclusion?  Can't grow durian there.  Since the flood, we've sold this land and looking for something else.  Unfortunately, nobody but me is showing any enthusiasm for this.  My wife keeps asking why I would need to grow these trees when I could get them so easily from the markets.  Sigh...   :'( :-X

Right Jay, they give up very easy and if other people say something is impossible then it is impossible to them, don;t have to try no more.

It also is hard to learn them something new like adding mulch on the soil because it really works. But now that i have showed them many impossible things like cocktail-tree's of many plants i get big respect like if i am a magician. Also the fact that they buy tomato's and papaya's from Holland these days (and i am dutch) gives me extra respect haha. Dutch people can do miracles with plants.

Anyway believe in yourself and the expertise of the forummembers and just try, trees are cheap so just give it a go. A good big flowerpot costs 10x more then the tree.

I hope you find your high land soon and will help me convincing the Thai that it is possible to grow more. If my house gets into a flooding again i will loose many tree's but that's life. I m sure your Thai lady will like your fruits when she can eat them. My wife also says we can buy all on the market easy but that's why i want to have special variaty's that they don't sell on the market.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »
Even here where it is super rainy and humid durians need shade cloth when they are small. In direct sunlight they will burn in full when they're little. I use a wire cage with shad cloth around it. Lave them in there till 4 feet tall.

Oscar
What cultivars do you have on your farm? What is your favorite cultivar for eating?
FloridaGreenMan

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 09:10:17 PM »
I've got bizarre looking durian today. Never seen a durian with such an open pasture. Is it just some kind of harmless mutation?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »
Yes, there are even mutations that are totally spikeless.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »
some durians I got at the market yesterday... I think two different varieities as they had very different flavors and flesh coloration... seeds different size as well... anyways one was one of the best durians ive had yet...

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
btw I have 7 grafted durian planted at my place, including one red prawn.... THe red prawn is doing the best... I didnt know about shade clothing when I first put them out and they got hurt a bit, but most have recovered and are sporting green leaves... they are all stalled on growing though... its been pretty sunny this summer... I think they will get some relief when the rainy season comes...

Ive got hem all shade clothed... I have another grafted chanee in my nursery that im going to up pot to 7 gal and raise it in more shade before putting in out in the field.. I think durian are really sensitive and if they go out in the field too early they cant take the sun... they are an understory tree i their natural habitiat...

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:13:12 PM by roboto212 »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:16 PM »
It's not just the sun that hurts them but also lack of rain during this dry period. Durian is one of the least drought tolerant fruit trees that i know of. They really need consistent watering, especially when small. But even a mature tree can defoliate and start croaking after a few weeks of no rain.
Oscar

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
gotcha oscar, im actually looking forward to a long rainy period as a few of my trees got real sun burnt... I notice sun burning on some citrus, a few abiu and a few akee tree... do you have any suggestions? Im going to buy some 70-80% shade clothe and was thinking of putting that around the trees for a bit... I do this for my durian and cempedak and the cempedak really grow alot faster in super heavy shade...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
gotcha oscar, im actually looking forward to a long rainy period as a few of my trees got real sun burnt... I notice sun burning on some citrus, a few abiu and a few akee tree... do you have any suggestions? Im going to buy some 70-80% shade clothe and was thinking of putting that around the trees for a bit... I do this for my durian and cempedak and the cempedak really grow alot faster in super heavy shade...
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk