Author Topic: Durian in Hawaii  (Read 7379 times)

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
Durian in Hawaii
« on: October 21, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »
Welp there is certainly alot of durian going around in Hawaii this year. It seems alot of the trees in the area are having a bumper crop. Here are just some pics of some various durians ive been buying, along with some pics of some trees in the area.

enjoy :) !

Seedling 35 year old tree

Seedling 35 year old tree

samuel

• Reunion
    • View Profile
Re: Durian in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »
hi Roboto,

great pics, thanks for sharing!

where in Hawaii those pics were taken? i mean the one of the large tree.  i am curious about learning more about places where durian can be grown in hawaii. what altitudes? downwind/upwind? ... of course i guess sea level on the east coast should the best places but was durian tried in some other conditions? This would be some good indication for me to make plans for durian cultivation in Reunion :)
we only have a few trees scattered on the island.  I have not seen any tree of that age here, i guess the older ones are about 15 years old.

Samuel

Reunion island

Samuel
Reunion Island

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Very nice Roboto, they look delicious and that seedling tree is putting out some monster sized fruits!

One more great thing about HI.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:42 PM »
Roboto - you have a GREAT camera by the way....so clear....

Someday I'll get to taste a Durian, but it better be a good one,
or that will be my last taste EVER!!  I'm not a big risk taker with
strange looking fruit.....

:o   Gary

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
 Samuel  the seedling tree is in Hilo..  the other pics are taken in pahoa or kapoho

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
I didn't realize there were so many trees planted.  Really nice to see.  Thanks for posting.  I have a friend who has property in/near Pahoa.  I need to check back with him to see how his durian are doing.  Last I heard about his plantings, he was lamenting a wild pig attack on his trees.  That was years ago though.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
Many publications advise that seedlings produce poor fruit and that it takes about 15 years.This is not really the case and a large proportion of seedling from top varieties produce fruit of high quality also and often in less than 10 years.I heard of a seedling having a bumper crop in 6 years.Some growers around here actually prefer seedlings even though they get way bigger.Fruit I had from monthong and luang seedlings early this year had fruit almost identical to their parents varieties.

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:54 AM »
Mike the fruit from the seedling is very good...  very buttery,  creamy,  relatively thick,  with butterscotch  overtones...Some bitterness.

it's encouraging  to see a seedling bearing such superb fruit...  the aril  is pretty good size too do good flesh recovery..  the owner said she planted  it froma tree from the experimental station in Hilo  back in 1980..  very large tree now roughly 65  feet tall  and large spread...

she says all she feeds it is mulch ed  cuttings from her other trees

roboto212

• Pahoa, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:02 AM »
some more pics of the seedling. such a majestic tree :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »
If memory serves me correctly selected budwood from Hilo used here as Hilo Monthong turned out to be Gob. I think there could be some mislabelling of varieties at Hilo like there has been in several places. Those durian look a bit like gob (kop).

Soh Joo Liang

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:10:16 AM »
Interesting to know that there are durians in Hawai and there are many durian lovers too.The picture could have been better if the flesh remained intact by a more careful opening The depression at the tip resembles the small Kob or D 99 of Malaysia.The fruits ripen on tree and drop or harvested as in Thailand ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:47 AM »
The durian in the picture looks like a thai origin type to me.D99 is really thai and a friend has a bunch of D99's in the next suburb over from me.

Ignore the duku and chempadak the durian is D99 and has flesh a bit paler with thinner skin than the pictured hawaiin seedling.

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 01:37:01 PM »
Cool looking fruit with the very distinct star pattern on the bottom.  Do you know which variety it was planted from?  Thanks for sharing the pics.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 04:00:39 PM »
Are these popular in "mainstream" markets? When I went to the islands the last couple years, I didn't see any in the markets.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
Are these popular in "mainstream" markets? When I went to the islands the last couple years, I didn't see any in the markets.

Only found occasionally in farmer's markets. Despite what roboto says there are still very few right now in farmer's markets. If there is a bumper crop the people growing them must be eating them all. :(
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk