Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 76325 times)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2017, 08:30:36 AM »
How long do they take to bloom mine are huge but no pineapple, they are about 13-15 months, thanks

Hi if your pineapple plant hasn't flowered already and there as big as they are than you can always try to force them to flower
How to force to flower?

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »
How long do they take to bloom mine are huge but no pineapple, they are about 13-15 months, thanks

Hi if your pineapple plant hasn't flowered already and there as big as they are than you can always try to force them to flower
How to force to flower?

I use Calcium Carbide to force flower pineapple plants you just drop one into the center of the pineapple plant but make sure you water before adding one to the center of the pineapple plant.... you can order Calcium Carbide from amazon. once the little rock hits the water it will start to gas up and thats all you need to do. just don't breath the gas in and keep it away from fire very flammable

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Carbide-Lumps-50g-Bottle/dp/B00JWU3TA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511703768&sr=8-1&keywords=Calcium+Carbide

if it worked you should see a flower start in a few weeks after force flowering it
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 08:50:38 AM by Evildeadguy »
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »

How to force to flower?

I use Calcium Carbide to force flower pineapple plants you just drop one into the center of the pineapple plant but make sure you water before adding one to the center of the pineapple plant.... you can order Calcium Carbide from amazon. once the little rock hits the water it will start to gas up and thats all you need to do. just don't breath the gas in and keep it away from fire very flammable

https://www.amazon.com/Calcium-Carbide-Lumps-50g-Bottle/dp/B00JWU3TA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511703768&sr=8-1&keywords=Calcium+Carbide

if it worked you should see a flower start in a few weeks after force flowering it
Thanks for the insight will try. a certain time it should like spring or summer?

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »

How to force to flower?

Thanks for the insight will try. a certain time it should like spring or summer?

I'm not sure it matters really but i always do it on a cool, cloudy day

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »

How to force to flower?

I'm not sure it matters really but i always do it on a cool, cloudy day
Thanks will do ordered it just got to wait now

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks Scott,

I have several White Jades that are huge and should Fruit very soon, probably this Winter.

Is it me or is White Jade a naturally big bromeliad?  Mine are getting well over 3' across.

Yup, White Jades can get huge, here’s one that’s just over 5 feet across. This one will probably flower this Winter

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 28, 2017, 09:04:19 AM »

In for one.  Will probably wait until March to gas er up.

Thanks Simon.  Need to take a tape to mine.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
I sniffed my White Jade Pineapple( snapped off way too prematurely) today and it finally had a slight sweet Pineapple smell to it. The peduncle was completely dried out but the fruit still looked edible so I cut it open. It had a super soft core and the flesh had a great texture. Unfortunately, the Pineapple was not sweet at all, it had a Brix reading of 8%. It was able to develop a bit of flavor and the little bit of flavor I was able to detect tasted very similar to the White Sugarloaf.

I then ate a miracle fruit and then tried the pineapple again and it tasted fantastic and very sweet. I only ate a few pieces because I’m afraid of adverse reactions from eating an under ripe pineapple so I’ll eat the rest tomorrow if I don’t get an upset stomach tonight.

I’m glad I was able to salvage this fruit and at least I’ve learned my lesson to support the heavy Fruit before it snaps. I can only imagine how good it would have tasted if I were able to harvest this fruit fully ripe!

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
I sniffed my White Jade Pineapple( snapped off way too prematurely) today and it finally had a slight sweet Pineapple smell to it. The peduncle was completely dried out but the fruit still looked edible so I cut it open. It had a super soft core and the flesh had a great texture. Unfortunately, the Pineapple was not sweet at all, it had a Brix reading of 8%. It was able to develop a bit of flavor and the little bit of flavor I was able to detect tasted very similar to the White Sugarloaf.

I then ate a miracle fruit and then tried the pineapple again and it tasted fantastic and very sweet. I only ate a few pieces because I’m afraid of adverse reactions from eating an under ripe pineapple so I’ll eat the rest tomorrow if I don’t get an upset stomach tonight.

I’m glad I was able to salvage this fruit and at least I’ve learned my lesson to support the heavy Fruit before it snaps. I can only imagine how good it would have tasted if I were able to harvest this fruit fully ripe!

Simon

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
Yeah, thanks for sharing Simon.

Got my lab grade calcium carbide in.  Hope to hit some 5' W White jade next year.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »
I’m still alive and no stomach ache last night. I ate another round of the White Jades with a miracle fruit and it tastes excellent! Without the miracle Fruit, the fruit would have been a complete waste unless I blended it up in a smoothie with a bunch of sugar or other sweet fruit.

Mark, let us know how it goes, hopefully it will fruit for you.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2017, 01:12:13 AM »
Since this is a low acid variety, I thought it wouldn't even develop the acidity. So it sounds like it's pretty acidic when immature, and then the acidity goes away as it matures.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »
Fang, it is lower acid but I believe most the commercial varieties nowadays are pretty low acid as well. The ripe Kuai White Sugarloaf I ordered from Jude had some acidity, more than I thought actually. I believe that as the Fruit matures, the sugar level increases so that the sugar acid balance is better and the acidity is not as noticeable.

Simon

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 14, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
Just received 40 beautiful little WJ plugs in the mail.  Very impressed with how everything was processed, packed, and shipped from Flying Fox Fruits.  Thank you Adam!
- Marley

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
My original plants were from Flyingfoxfruits as well and I’m glad I purchased them back when I did. My plants are now large and fruiting size.

Simon

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 14, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »

- Marley

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #291 on: December 15, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

Looking good Marley!  Thanks for the plug! 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:05 PM »
Here’s an update on a few of my White Jade Pineapple plants. The plants got hit hard by the frost I received this year but the plants are still alive. I haven’t payed much attention to them recently but noticed a couple of them started blooming several weeks ago.

Here’s a pic of the plants with frost damage

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 01, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
Here are some pictures after I trimmed off the dead leaves. One of the WJ plants has a large bloom and I hope it can grow into a decent sized fruit. They don’t have much surface area to their trimmed leaves anymore but I’m still hoping for decent sized sweet fruit.

Simon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 01, 2018, 08:02:58 PM »
White jade is extremely sweet. I was getting brix readings in the high teens on mine.
Jeff  :-)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2018, 01:04:08 AM »
That flower is going to become a very large fruit! Mine are below average size since I forced mine, or I should say my mom made me force them. They ripened a month ago and weren't the best. Some winter damage but most of the damage was sunburn to the fruits during the fall. The side of the fruits kind of died and dried up. That hurt the flavor of the whole fruit.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »
Here are some pictures after I trimmed off the dead leaves. One of the WJ plants has a large bloom and I hope it can grow into a decent sized fruit. They don’t have much surface area to their trimmed leaves anymore but I’m still hoping for decent sized sweet fruit.

Simon

They still look pretty good.  Warning to those who dump frozen pineapple plants in haste like I did with most of mine after the 18F hit.  The few I left on the bench are pushing pups, one has 2. 

I'm starting over with White Jade, White Sugarloaf and a few twistees.  I HAD 5' wide White Jade expecting fruit this summer.  Oh well.....

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
Here’s an update on a few of my White Jade Pineapple plants. The plants got hit hard by the frost I received this year but the plants are still alive. I haven’t payed much attention to them recently but noticed a couple of them started blooming several weeks ago.

Here’s a pic of the plants with frost damage

Simon

yeah that's how my white sugarloaf pineapple plants turned out from all the cold damage they got from winter.... i ended up cutting all the dead leaves off... they have flowered now hopefully they will still turn out good.... be sure to stake it up with out the leaves the pineapple will fall over maybe break the stalk.... mine are already putting up pups... so that's good now i can start over with new plants and be ready for next winter when it come's

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Is it just me or does white jade's fruiting stalk stick out a lot farther than other varieties. I only fruited white jade and the ones from the store.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
Is it just me or does white jade's fruiting stalk stick out a lot farther than other varieties. I only fruited white jade and the ones from the store.

with my red Spanish this year i notice with a few of them the stalks are alot longer than the others and the ones with the longer stalks seems to be growing much smaller fruit than the plants with shorter stalks.... i heard some where cant remember where at but having longer stalks on a pineapple plant can be bad   

okay so i ran a cross the site again where a guy talks about growing pineapple plants he mentions about: Avoiding the plants that produce long fruit stalks, like the one in the picture. The fruit should grow as low as possible or it just falls over and gets sunburned.

http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/pineapple-growing.html
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:29:15 PM by Evildeadguy »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk