Author Topic: "Stopper" (Eugenia) species taste  (Read 1598 times)

Dimitry Fisher

• San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
"Stopper" (Eugenia) species taste
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:48:53 AM »
Which of the Eugenia species native to the continental US (E. axillaris, confusa, foetida, rhombea; any others?) has good-tasting fruit?  What does each of those taste like?  Thanks in advance!

Zpusher

• DFW z8
    • View Profile
Re: "Stopper" (Eugenia) species taste
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »
I have no knowledge on this just bumping this thread hopefully you get an answer.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
I’m growing a few (redberry, Spanish, white, & Simpson’s), only tasted White (E. axillaris) and Simpson’s (M. fragrans).

Unfortunately, don’t recall much other than that Simpson’s stopper was the better of the two, sweeter- and I remember the White being more tart and less palatable.  It’s completely possible I picked em at the wrong times and etc. tho, so will have to pay attention next time I get fruit- looks like I have flowers on a few of the Simpson’s now.

I will have to report back, tho I’m no connoisseur.  I do recall Simpson’s being featured in Tropical Fruits for Florida tho, if that’s any indication as to what to expect.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:23:29 PM »
Any updates, Rex Begonias? I recently got a White Stopper because I love that skunky smell, and just read on the interwebs the fruit was edible.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 04:03:35 PM »
Tried some Simpson's Stopper fruits for the second time in my yard. They have a tarragon taste to them. There's an aftertaste that's not pleasant but doesn't last long. The birds are getting the ripest fruits.

Still waiting to taste the White Stopper fruit. Hopefully soon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 04:50:46 PM »
Here is one of the fruiting Simpson's Stoppers in my yard:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk