Author Topic: FRUIT FOUND  (Read 5186 times)

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
FRUIT FOUND
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »
I found this fruit inside the forest in my farm,
The tree is a woody creeper, all fruits had already fallen on the ground, had only one in the tree
I don't  have tasted, because I dont know what it is, the skin is thick, no latex, the smell is very good, like mangos mixed with abiu, and the consistency of the pulp seems caki
Anyone know what is it ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: FRUIT FOUND
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
Very interesting Ricardo and the foliage looks alot like what I see in some vines here.You need a volunteer for the taste test because it could be something special.

Today I tried a Syzigium fruit that was shiny and deep red and looked like a big Malay apple with red flesh.Wild native trees are planted around my work building and the 2m pink flushed trees are spectacular and I could not figure out what species.The flesh was acidic but it couldhave some uses as the trees were loaded.The photos are not downloading due to computer problems.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:19:54 AM »
Very interesting Ricardo and the foliage looks alot like what I see in some vines here.You need a volunteer for the taste test because it could be something special.

Today I tried a Syzigium fruit that was shiny and deep red and looked like a big Malay apple with red flesh.Wild native trees are planted around my work building and the 2m pink flushed trees are spectacular and I could not figure out what species.The flesh was acidic but it couldhave some uses as the trees were loaded.The photos are not downloading due to computer problems.

Mike
Thanks,
When is possible, post the photos,  I was curious :)
Cheers,
Ricardo

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
Awesome pics
Ill take a guess
Is it a posoqueria sp...latifolia? Or Salacia sp?

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
This is not Needle-flower Tree Posoqueria latifolia as it is shrub or tree
As per Ricardo's description,it is from woody creeper.
It may be a Salacia species : Salacia cordata/Salacia elliptica/Other Salacia species found in Brazil

I am looking for seeds of Chuchuhuaso and that of Siputa

Roy

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »
There are wild Salacia here with foliage not too much different but theyellow fruit are small with a single seed.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
Yes, the fruit is big,  the bigger like a large apple, The smell is very very good,
I think Salacia  or posoqueria the fruit are small
I sent the pictures for some collector in Brasil, up now, no one know what this fruit

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:05:07 AM »

Ricardo here is the unknown shiny dark Syzygium that has an ornamental tree and the paler pink,white fleshed Malay apple for a comparason.Thereare many wild Syzygiums around here with fruit of many shapes,sized and colours.We don't even know which are the best to eat.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »

Ricardo here is the unknown shiny dark Syzygium that has an ornamental tree and the paler pink,white fleshed Malay apple for a comparason.Thereare many wild Syzygiums around here with fruit of many shapes,sized and colours.We don't even know which are the best to eat.

Thanks for the photos
Is very different , this shiny dark is beautiful

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »
Mike: that looks a lot like the malay apple that Oscar has on his site. Is it sweet?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »
Malay apples are common and everywhere in many formsand that pale pink one was roped in as a supporting act and was sweet.Theother unknown fruit was sour and is much different to all Makay apples.

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:39:00 AM »
I found this fruit inside the forest in my farm,
The tree is a woody creeper, all fruits had already fallen on the ground, had only one in the tree
I don't  have tasted, because I dont know what it is, the skin is thick, no latex, the smell is very good, like mangos mixed with abiu, and the consistency of the pulp seems caki
Anyone know what is it ?

A friend identified the Gender of the fruit, is a Strychnos, but he dont know exactly which specie, but is edible and very tasty, and have several uses medicinal

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 04:34:07 AM »
Very interesting Ricardo.There are Strychnos vines here and African Monkey Oranges are Strychnos.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
There are a few vining strychnos species from I think south America and africa that i have read about. The genus seems to be well distributed and vining species are not abnormal for strychnos. Carefully of any bitterness especially the seeds! I Would love to find out If this does turn out to be a strychnos!:D
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »

Good sized S erythrocalyx, by the looks of them. The tree is the nicest foliaged of the genus. They grow well down south provided generous moisture is available. They bear heavily and have a high flesh %, but are acid. They are good if processed.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
Thanks Bruce and the foliage does look like erythrocalyx come to think of it.I know several forms of S.erythrocalyx from the rainforest but none ever had fruit like this and S.cormiflorum which is similar did not have fruit like this also.

Maybe if it is a form I haven't seen before and fruited early with being pampered it just could be it on reflection.Some fruit were baseball sized.

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:43:32 PM »

could be a laulau tree

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 05:08:34 AM »
Ricardo, except cause the fruit´s size, it could be STRYCHNOS PSEUDO-QUINA: http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/strychinospseudo.htm
By other side, it could be STRYCHNOS TRINERVIS http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/strychnostrinervis.htm, but the seeds of your fruit looks different.... Looks like your fruit has bigger seeds and in lower quantity...

I found a pdf that talks about several Strychnos from Brasil, and it has botanical drawings. Maybe, it helps you to identify the tree correctly: http://rodriguesia.jbrj.gov.br/FASCICULOS/rodrig60_4/024-09.pdf

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 07:43:36 PM »
Ricardo, except cause the fruit´s size, it could be STRYCHNOS PSEUDO-QUINA: http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/strychinospseudo.htm
By other side, it could be STRYCHNOS TRINERVIS http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/strychnostrinervis.htm, but the seeds of your fruit looks different.... Looks like your fruit has bigger seeds and in lower quantity...

I found a pdf that talks about several Strychnos from Brasil, and it has botanical drawings. Maybe, it helps you to identify the tree correctly: http://rodriguesia.jbrj.gov.br/FASCICULOS/rodrig60_4/024-09.pdf

Cassio,

Thank you !  :)

Ricardo

Joshua

• Australia gold coast Queensland subtropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 08:00:24 PM »
I have come across that one also mike here on the gold coast. an Asian friend said it was called a lou lou. pronounced like how how...With an l. not sure of spelling.how can you tell it's susygium?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:02:00 PM by Joshua »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk