Author Topic: citrus grown from seed shows more cold hardiness  (Read 14259 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: citrus grown from seed shows more cold hardiness
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
Of course I vent it when temps get above freezing and especially if gets into 50’s.
It's too bad you can't hook up some sort of automatic venting system connected to a temperature thermostat.
It must constantly occupy attention in your mind to have to worry about whether temperatures are going to go above 50 outside during the cold half of the year. That would be too much worry for me.

Kumquat is probably going to be hardier than other common citrus varieties, since it goes into a protective state of dormancy so easily (stays in dormancy).
I'm not sure if this really demonstrates "hardier grown from seed", since I would imagine the span (differential) between kumquat grown on poncirus compared to kumquat on its own roots, and some other hardy citrus grown on poncirus versus on its own roots, would not be as great.

(What I mean is the whole point of grafting a hardy citrus on poncirus is to keep it in dormancy, a trait kumquat already has, to some extent)

Generally kumquat can survive down to zone 8b, so that's already within zone 8 territory.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:22:20 PM by SoCal2warm »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2020, 07:06:11 AM »
Millet, I’m at 3000 ft elevation on top of a steep mountain, so temps can vary a lot compared to other local areas. It’s not too difficult for me to ventilate my enclosures; I just roll up/down one side of the plastic walls that is stapled to a board at the bottom and hung up on big hardware/bicycle hooks on side of frame.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2020, 11:32:11 AM »
Citradia. I'm at 5,440-ft. elevation.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
I am only at 500 ft

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
I will be conducting a specific test over this winter.
The below picture shows two Ichang papeda plants, one on trifoliate rootstock, the other rooted from a cutting on its own roots.

This side by side experiment should be interesting, because I specifically wanted to look at ichangensis and related hardy citrus to ichangensis, and specifically wanted to look at this behavior in zone 8.
Soon we should have a more sure answer whether ichangensis grows better on rootstock or not, when surviving cold climate conditions.
I can provide an update to the results of my test. (as of June 29, 2020)
It seems that both plants have done about equally as well. But the one growing on its own roots has much larger new leaves, in terms of size of the leaves. (I do not believe this is simply due to it getting a head start over the other)
However, they both appear equally vigorous, I would say. The one on the rootstock looks like it has the same energy as the other one, but it is holding back and pacing itself.

The older leaves (from last year prior to the winter) on both do not look very healthy. Still alive and slightly green, but more pale and yellowish.