Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620403 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1075 on: January 10, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »
Gio checking in from Hollywood South FLA. Have been a mango addict my whole life, and have no idea what took so long to get into growing my own (I guess the abundance of free fruit in my neighborhood lol) So as my first babies I got a lemon meringue, planted late last summer (which seemed dormant until last week!!! New growth shooting every where) and my cogshall (still waiting to see what it will do, has not grown much such planting) Also have 4 sugar apple trees growing well since the summer. HOPING for fruit this year on all of them for the first time. VERY interested in planting another 1 or 2 more mangoes if I can find some small varieties to fit my smallish yard.  Have been lurking on here since last year, don't have too much to contribute unfortunately due to lack of experience. But will most definetly share my experiences on this growing journey.

rpc938

• Makati, Philippines, Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:52 AM »
 :) Hi Chimmy here,  i live in Makati Philippines.

my interest is to grow my own durian fruit here in Batangas province ,typhoon Luzon Island.

I have tried that D101 or Malaysian Premium variety in Davao City, Mindanao Island ( typhoon free) and I must say that I really like it compared to the others i have had through the years. 

I think i have to prune  to only 3 meters to avoid typhoon damage.

I welcome any help or advice to grow it safely here in Tuy, Batangas

thanks !

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 14, 2015, 05:20:41 AM »
Hello Chimmy and welcome.I eat some D101 durians every year because my friend has trees.He also has D99, luang and gumpun and these are very good types.You could try arancillo which is a great Philippine type.
In Manila you should keep the trees short and 3m is possible. Trim thin branches and the top and give it some support like a heavy post and wires between 2 posts.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:30 AM »
Hi Chimmy, welcome to the forum.

I have a duriantree in Bangkok and also want to keep it small so i prune it.

ftmyersfruit

• Lee County Florida 33907
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 16, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
I have read the forum a lot, but I am just now registering. I live in Lee County Florida. I grow anything I can, about 30 trees in the ground and at least that many in pots. I have been here for three winters, most of my fruit is just now coming into production. Thank you for all the good information that I obtained from here in the past.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: January 16, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
I have read the forum a lot, but I am just now registering. I live in Lee County Florida. I grow anything I can, about 30 trees in the ground and at least that many in pots. I have been here for three winters, most of my fruit is just now coming into production. Thank you for all the good information that I obtained from here in the past.

Welcome to the forums.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

stormin

• USA, St Cloud FL, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 18, 2015, 08:58:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums. I'm located in the Orlando area (the home of the big Mouse) and have several fruit trees so far, a calamondin in ground, a calamondin in pot, Barbados cherry in ground, a Eureka lemon in pot, a brand new Pickering mango in pot (not sure if to leave it in a pot or put in ground), and a new Surinam cherry.  :D

Eriel Cotocadet

• southern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 25, 2015, 11:08:58 PM »
Hi my name is Eriel.  I live in Los Angeles.  I like growing fruit trees in my back yard.[/glow][/glow][/glow] I also have made some successful graft from nectarine and peach scions to a cherry rootstock. I have a few rare trees.  Black sapote, cherimoya,  pacay, Surinam cherry, Guamuchil, Jaboticaya and Longan. Thank you for allowing me to join your group.  Anticipating many good talks!

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:52 PM »
Hey there, I'm Dominic. I got bit by the permaculture and homesteading bug a few years back and given my location in SWFL I pretty much had to start growing all sorts of cool tropical fruit. I've been really nuts about the annonas lately since having my first sugar apple and atemoya a few months ago, and keep trying to find more spots on our 1/3 acre lot to cram more of them in. Besides that I'm trying to grow a little of everything, mangos, lychee, avocado, figs, Eugenias, you name it. Thanks for the awesome info here, I look forward to learning more.
Dom

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #1084 on: February 02, 2015, 03:18:57 AM »
Hallow. nice to meet all. My name is beni. I am A new member in this forum.
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 02, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
Hallow. nice to meet all. My name is beni. I am A new member in this forum.

Hi Beni, welcome to the forum.

What are you growing?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 02, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Welcome all the new members, look forward to future discussions.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 03, 2015, 10:01:18 AM »
Hey there, I'm Dominic. I got bit by the permaculture and homesteading bug a few years back and given my location in SWFL I pretty much had to start growing all sorts of cool tropical fruit. I've been really nuts about the annonas lately since having my first sugar apple and atemoya a few months ago, and keep trying to find more spots on our 1/3 acre lot to cram more of them in. Besides that I'm trying to grow a little of everything, mangos, lychee, avocado, figs, Eugenias, you name it. Thanks for the awesome info here, I look forward to learning more.

FWIW, If you haven't already, I would definitely recommend Wayne Clifton's "Dream" especially since he lives near you.  The tree grows well, fruits are available much of the year, and taste great!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #1088 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »
i have some fruit from indonesia. I want many learn from all my friend in this forum.
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

TyroMangoAficionado

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 16, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »
Hello Everybody,My name is Emily..here i'm just a Tyro Mango Aficionado and all tropical fruits in general.. i'm here to learn and share  and if i can ask questions. I've been reading some of the forums post for years in till today that i sight on..i'm glad i'm here .
By the way anybody knows or have any experiences growing Keasar mango in South Florida? Thanks in advance.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #1090 on: February 16, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
Welcome, Emily.  I have the Kesar mango, and it has been in ground for about 3 years.  It has been too small to carry fruit until this year.  The tree grows nicely......about average for a mango tree.  The tree seems to have decent disease resistance...which is a little unusual for an Indian cultivar. My tree is currently in bloom and I am expecting to try fruit from my tree this year for the first time. Do  you have a Kesar tree or are you looking for one?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 16, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
I am also curious about Kesar.  I have one spot left (besides the spot I'm saving for Fruit Punch), and I think Kesar may be a potential suitor.  Also looking forward to trying Seacrest.

Has anyone had the Kesar that can comment on it's taste/texture?  Thanks
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Steve Tsataros

• USA, Florida/South East Tarpon Springs C.?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 22, 2015, 02:57:08 PM »
Hello my name is Steve Tsataros I'm new on this forum, I live in Central Florida on the Gulf Coast. I had purchased two Avacado trees, One is a Doni Avacado the other is Catalina Avacado. Purchased from Home Depo back in September, each tree is about 3 1/2 ' tall. Both are flowering at this time, I've read where one of the trees needs to be an "A" tree and the other a "B" tree. Just as my luck would have it both are "A" trees. Will they be able to produce any fruit in the future?

cocoamoto

• Big Pine Key, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 22, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
Hi,
My name is Eric, I am working at the Grimal Grove property in Big Pine Key.  I am also a chocolatier and am experimenting with growing cacao in the Florida Keys at the Grimal Grove.  The property is pretty amazing and the restoration is coming along.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 22, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
Hello my name is Steve Tsataros I'm new on this forum, I live in Central Florida on the Gulf Coast. I had purchased two Avacado trees, One is a Doni Avacado the other is Catalina Avacado. Purchased from Home Depo back in September, each tree is about 3 1/2 ' tall. Both are flowering at this time, I've read where one of the trees needs to be an "A" tree and the other a "B" tree. Just as my luck would have it both are "A" trees. Will they be able to produce any fruit in the future?

As I understand it, the A and B craze is much more important for commercial growers.  You may not want to hear this, but you should not let your trees hold fruit for at least a year.  They are too small and it is better to let them grow.
~Jeff

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:27 AM »
Hi,
My name is Eric, I am working at the Grimal Grove property in Big Pine Key.  I am also a chocolatier and am experimenting with growing cacao in the Florida Keys at the Grimal Grove.  The property is pretty amazing and the restoration is coming along.

Eric hows it going, I remember Patrick taking that pic!

smilingstone

• Nanning city, China
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 02, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am an agriculturist in Nanning City of China, like to plant Tropical fruit like dragon fruit, hope to learn more from here.

sihanuk

• Czech republic, Europe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 04, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »
Hi everyone ,

I greet fans growing tropical fruits . Excuse my English, I do not speak much English . I'm interested in the cultivation of tropical fruits and traveling to tropical countries . If anyone had any extra seeds or seedlings of tropical plants for sale or exchange I will be very glad for each offer.

Thank Tomas

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 05, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »
Hi everyone ,

I greet fans growing tropical fruits . Excuse my English, I do not speak much English . I'm interested in the cultivation of tropical fruits and traveling to tropical countries . If anyone had any extra seeds or seedlings of tropical plants for sale or exchange I will be very glad for each offer.

Thank Tomas

Hi Tomas, we have more members from your area. If  you just post which seeds you are looking for then maybe somebody has them.

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 05, 2015, 11:08:39 PM »
Hi all.  I am Vincent, I am 42 years old, married, one daughter and living in New Caledonia ( S.W Pacific ). I own and run a fishing company and I have been diving/collecting seashells for many years. About 6 years ago my wife and myself have bought a beach front property south of Noumea  where some fruit trees were already planted. Huge mango trees, pomelos, guavas, various citrus, avocado, etc… I was not into fruits at all before, but a few years ago my wife wanted to get a goji plant. So I went to all the local nurseries but was unable to get her one as the specie simply could not be found in nc. Hard to believe but true….So I went to the internet to buy one and by the way I discovered web sites offering so many different fruit seeds, trees etc.... I was just amazed to see how many different fruits exist. I made a first order online, ordering "classics", then a second, a third, etc… and 6 years later I am just crazy about fruit trees…lol .I own now about a hundred different species and subspecies and I just run out of space. Most of the species I acquired over the last 2 years are still in pots and I am now looking for some more land ( not sea shore anymore, but more in the forest…lol ) to plant more and more different fruit trees. I am also into bees now and I am thinking about creating an orchard/collection in a really nice place more in the mountain to show to the public, including hives, bungalows to accommodate tourists, etc...  I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a while picking up great information and making great new contacts. I am also always interested by new species/subspecies/varieties I still don't have. I mainly buy but can also trade a few things including an endemic fig specie which is really tasty. If you come over to New Caledonia, please do not hesitate to contact me, it will be a pleasure to show you my collection. All the best, Vincent, vitiga@canl.nc
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia