Author Topic: Compact Mango Suggestions  (Read 93576 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Compact Mango Suggestions
« Reply #225 on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »
Irwin is pretty average mango. I yanked mine out last year but as Warren says it's a slow growing mango in the West Coast.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2016, 03:09:39 AM »
Irwin does well as a greenhouse mango in Japan.

I don't know about their growing techniques. Possibly considered trade secrets?
They grow them in greenhouses because outside is too cold. They really like the color of it so they have reflectors to color it up all around and shade hats to keep each fruit from burning. I think greenhouse is the technique although they must have mad pruning skills. Who knows if Irwin is really dwarf. If they can bonsai a redwood, I bet pruning any regular mango into a dwarf is no problem.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 10, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »
Thanks for the responses all! So it sounds like while Irwin might make it onto the list for growth rate, it might not make the cut as a 'high-quality' mango. I was reading some more reviews of Irwin and many people say it is a pretty mango but very underwhelming flavor wise.
- Mark

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 10, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »
Thanks for the responses all! So it sounds like while Irwin might make it onto the list for growth rate, it might not make the cut as a 'high-quality' mango. I was reading some more reviews of Irwin and many people say it is a pretty mango but very underwhelming flavor wise.

Not dwarf/compact nor decent quality here in Florida. 
- Rob

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2016, 08:17:43 AM »
Not dwarf/compact nor decent quality here in Florida.

Well then, I think that makes it definitive :) No Irwin on the list!
- Mark

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »
I am surprised Graham is not on the list since it supposedly is a smaller mango. Not sure on the taste of them though.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:18 AM »
I am surprised Graham is not on the list since it supposedly is a smaller mango. Not sure on the taste of them though.

Yes, a smaller, more compact tree...while some like it (from what I have seen it is more people from the Caribbean and also some who like Julie) however it is not well liked by the majority/masses. 
- Rob

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:00 AM »
How would you compare the flavor profile of Graham with the flavor profile of Carrie?
- Mark

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2016, 10:10:51 AM »
Iirc, in a YouTube video, Dr. Crane described Graham as similar to Carrie but with less intensity.
Warren

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2016, 10:38:45 AM »
How would you compare the flavor profile of Graham with the flavor profile of Carrie?

Both crappy.  Wouldn't grow either but that is just my opinion.  If i were growing to sell the fruit, its a no brainer,  Carrie.   Carrie is loved by many.
- Rob

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
wslau,

Thanks!

Rob,

Both crappy.  Wouldn't grow either but that is just my opinion.  If i were growing to sell the fruit, its a no brainer,  Carrie.   Carrie is loved by many.

Ha! I was looking for something a little more constructive / descriptive than "both crappy" :)

Are they both resinous / piney? (the way Carrie is). Are they both fiberless / super-soft texture? (the way Carrie is)
- Mark

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »
wslau,

Thanks!

Rob,

Ha! I was looking for something a little more constructive / descriptive than "both crappy" :)

Are they both resinous / piney? (the way Carrie is). Are they both fiberless / super-soft texture? (the way Carrie is)

Graham is a very interesting flavor....not like many others I have tried.  I am sure others have more experience with it, but the few I have tried had no real sweetness, and more of a funky flavor.  I recall Chris Rollins stating in one of his classes that every 5 or 6 years, Graham is excellent.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2016, 05:30:47 AM »
How tall could a carrie and maha chanok be reasonably kept?

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2016, 07:33:01 AM »
Gave my carrie tree away.   Dug it up and planted it in a buddies yard and put in a fruit punch instead. 

Lost a year but the too soft Carrie had to go and I needed the room for better tasting fruit imo.   

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
Gave my carrie tree away.   Dug it up and planted it in a buddies yard and put in a fruit punch instead. 

Lost a year but the too soft Carrie had to go and I needed the room for better tasting fruit imo.

well-done!  8)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2016, 11:52:26 AM »

well-done!  8)

Agreed, though I wouldn't subject any "buddy" of mine to Carrie.

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »
How tall could a carrie and maha chanok be reasonably kept?

+1 ... interested in hearing about maha chanok

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2016, 05:45:40 AM »
Gave my carrie tree away.   Dug it up and planted it in a buddies yard and put in a fruit punch instead.  Lost a year but the too soft Carrie had to go and I needed the room for better tasting fruit imo.
File this one under:
Life is too short to be stuck w mangoes you don't like.

Very impressive tree when loaded with these exotic looking mangoes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:52:15 AM by zands »

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2016, 07:50:22 AM »
Gave my carrie tree away.   Dug it up and planted it in a buddies yard and put in a fruit punch instead.  Lost a year but the too soft Carrie had to go and I needed the room for better tasting fruit imo.
File this one under:
Life is too short to be stuck w mangoes you don't like.

Very impressive tree when loaded with these exotic looking mangoes.

thanks! how vigorous is it in terms of growth habit? will I be able to keep it compact?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2016, 08:20:42 AM »
The Mahachanok is not vigorous at all.  In fact, when young in can be a little slower growing.  Over the years, with proper pruning, it can be nicely kept at 12 - 15 feet.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2016, 12:41:12 AM »
The Mahachanok is not vigorous at all.  In fact, when young in can be a little slower growing.  Over the years, with proper pruning, it can be nicely kept at 12 - 15 feet.

Thanks Rob. That's good to know. I have it in a good spot between my Pickering and Fruit Punch then.

darkcoolboo

• Tucson, AZ - USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2016, 11:39:19 PM »

I also think it's great that it can be planted in a space that otherwise would have went to a guava tree.

mangologist

• Capt Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
This is the third year of harvest for my Alampur Banershan.  Every fruit has cracked.  This is not a split like NDM, but an irregular crack or on some multiple cracks.  It does not affect but the skin and perhaps 1/16" into the flesh.  Even with this said, it is in my top 5 of best tasting mangos.   At our Tropical Fruit Club meeting a few months ago, the speaker, a commercial mango grower, was asked why he didn't mention the A B mango, and he said, the cracking problem has not been solved, the fruit while very delicious, could not be sold.  He said I should have planted an Alphonso!
[/quote]