Author Topic: Dot mango dying in SoCal  (Read 3091 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Dot mango dying in SoCal
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »
Hi All, I thought I would share my experience growing Dot mango in SoCal.  I knew it was disease prone in SoCal but I didn't realize how weak it truly is.  I bought this Dot as a three gallon and it has been in the ground for about a year.  It has experienced consistent die back so about six months ago I started spraying it with copper and sulfur once a month.  That seems to have helped as it kept the remaining one foot plant alive threw winter.  But it has now started to die off again.  I think this is do to all the recent dew and fog.  I have not given up and I bought a seven gallon Dot to replace it.  This plant seems much more disease resistant.  I think this might be because I have been spraying it since I got it or because it is larger or because it is mislabeled and I accidently got a different more disease resistance variety.  Time will tell.  Does anyone have any advice to keep this variety alive?

Bill

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dot mango dying in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:38 PM »
Is your tree from Florida? It may perform better on a different rootstock. I have a small DOT graft on Lemon Zest interstock with Florida Turpentine as the actual rootstock and it is growing fine. The bloom panicles are susceptible to Powdery Mildew but much less so compared to Lemon Zest. DOT is a top tier Mango in my book!

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:03:04 PM »
That is strange your Dot mango tree is dying. I purchased mine in 2015 from Florida on Turpentine root stock and placed it in a 15 gallon container. It has grown fine for 2 1/2 years with no disease issues or spraying required.  I will be grafting some scions from this Dot tree this summer to some Manila Seedling tees I already have in the ground.

Hear a a few photos I took in February 2018 of my tree in bloom.

Johnny

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
Is your tree from Florida? It may perform better on a different rootstock. I have a small DOT graft on Lemon Zest interstock with Florida Turpentine as the actual rootstock and it is growing fine. The bloom panicles are susceptible to Powdery Mildew but much less so compared to Lemon Zest. DOT is a top tier Mango in my book!

Simon

How wud u compare dot as oppose to LZ & ST?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
Sometimes you just get (buy) a weak specimen. You were right to get another Dot. Anyone have theories on mango trees that don't pan out? Might have to do with how they were treated when in one gallon and smaller. Maybe poor root formation.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:46:28 PM by zands »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:53:06 PM »
Dot is my favorite mango that I have tried. I have not tried LZ or ST. I hope my new specimen does better.

Bill

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:25:58 PM »
Dot is my favorite mango that I have tried. I have not tried LZ or ST. I hope my new specimen does better.

Bill

Bill....I thought we did try a ripe LZ at Gary's place in Palm Springs....very orangey taste.  Sweet Tart was there too, but underripe....I took a ST seed home.

Other varieties prone to dieback during cold socal winters are alampur baneshan, ice cream, and young Carrie trees.
Warren

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
The flavor profile of LZ, ST and DOT are completely different.

LZ is citrusy and can have lemony to Orangy flavor. LZ is very sweet with a silky flesh and juice texture.

ST is a dense fleshed mango that has excellent Sugar Acid balance. The great thing about ST is that you can play around with its ripeness level and you can select your own favorite sugar/acid level. If you eat the fruit slightly less ripe, it is more on the tart to sour side, if you let it get full ripe, it is ultra sweet with very little acid balance.

DOT has more of a regular tropical mango taste but it is sweeter and more complex than Baileys Marvel, Spirit of 76, Haden. I’ve only had a few DOTs but they are definitely on my top 10 list.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 09:52:23 AM »
Although a great mango Dot does not rank in my top 20. Local mangos like Leo keitt seedling, parson, Leo Z and Señorita have out perform it in tasting and are well adapted to our climate. There are quite a few of Zill’s mango that have not preform very well in SoCal. Some that have are HK and ST you might want to replace your Dot with those or others.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
warren, now that you mention it we did have a LZ at Gary's. If I remember right it also was a little under or over ripe. I remember it had potential but I was saving judgement until I could try it again. Dot on the other hand I have had at what I would consider optimal ripeness and it is incredible. Dot in my opinion should be eaten a little under ripe. At this stage it has a lemony citrusy taste that I love. Hopefully my new Dot tree will be more disease resistant.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
Thanks Frank, I might have to do that if my new Dot can't prove its self in our local environment. What variety is HK?

Bill

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »
Thanks Frank, I might have to do that if my new Dot can't prove its self in our local environment. What variety is HK?

Bill

Honey Kiss. & Good Luck with your new Dot!!! I’m hoping to get a Dot soon.. definitely one of MY top tier mangos
Sergio

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 01:58:16 PM »
Here’s a picture of my small DOT graft. It bloomed this year and is holding small fruit. The graft is very small so I’ll probably remove all the fruit so the graft doesn’t die back.

Simon

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 04:19:32 PM »
Here’s a picture of my small DOT graft. It bloomed this year and is holding small fruit. The graft is very small so I’ll probably remove all the fruit so the graft doesn’t die back.

Simon

That’s awesome!! Love your projects simon 😁
Sergio

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »

Bill

Just say the magic word "Smathers" when you walk past your new dot mango tree.

1998  --
Frank Smathers Jr.

MIAMI (AP) _ Frank Smathers Jr., who made a fortune in the banking business, died Tuesday. He was 88.
Smathers was the brother of former U.S. Sen. George Smathers and the son of Frank Smathers Sr., a former federal judge who managed Woodrow Wilson's campaign for president.

Frank Smathers started at the old Miami Beach First National Bank, where he rose to chairman. He created new banks under the corporate umbrella of Flagship Banks and retired as chairman of Flagship in 1976. In 1983, the sale of Flagship Sun Banks _ now SunTrust _ earned him millions.
Known for his passion for growing mangoes, he recently gave $1 million to the University of Miami to finance the study of tropical fruit trees.

and http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article1940225.html 

and from wikipedia-
'Dot' was originally developed by nurseryman Laurence Zill of Boynton Beach, Florida, and was named after his wife Dorothy. It was reportedly a seedling of the 'Carrie' mango, however a 2005 pedigree analysis by the USDA estimated it was a seedling of the 'Zill' mango.[1] 'Dot' was propagated for several years by the Zill nursery but fell out of favor due to disease susceptibility and lack of ideal color. However, Frank Smathers of Miami, Florida received several cuttings of the Dot and took up propagating the tree, finding the eating quality of the fruit to be very high.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 01:37:43 AM »
Good info on Dot. Thanks.

Out of curiosity what disease problems does Dot have in Florida?  I have always heard it is disease prone but nothing specific that I can remember. Is it powdery mildew?

Bill

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »
Good info on Dot. Thanks.

Out of curiosity what disease problems does Dot have in Florida?  I have always heard it is disease prone but nothing specific that I can remember. Is it powdery mildew?

Bill

iirc the classic problem with Julie and Dot is anthracnose. Others will know for sure.

But to maximize morning dew burn off plant the tree in a place on your property where the morning sun will hit it during mango season   .... most of your fog is in the morning? I am guessing because this is how it is here. So maximum morning sun will help that too.
Also plant where it will get southern exposure.   The one Julie tree I know is planted w southern exposure.   I have no Dot or Julie. The fungus problems scared me off. Though if I had a larger property with room to experiment I would have tried Julie.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:14:42 AM by zands »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:26 AM »
The disease issues associated with DOT are Anthracnose and Powdery Mildew.

Simon

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
I have a young Dot mango tree which is holding 2 tennis-ball-sized mangoes currently.  I was reading somewhere that Dot mangoes are better picked green mature and allowed to ripen off the tree.  Is that correct?  What have you done?  When should I pick them in SoCal?
--Jake