Author Topic: Picked my first jackfruits today!  (Read 3092 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Picked my first jackfruits today!
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »
Been watching the fruit closely the last month or so.  Always remained hard and no detectable smell when near them.  My fear was they would be ready while in PR the week before last.  I was a little lazy this week and waited till this morning to inspect.  I figured to remove a few of the smaller fruit as well.  Soon as I got near the tree, I could smell jackfruit.  The next thing I noticed was that one of the smallest fruit had rotted and fallen off the tree.  A quick look revealed no flesh at all.  No surprise there.

I grabbed the largest one and it was very soft.  Shit...my mother-in-law would be kicking me in the ass if she were here.  The other big one was much greener looking but had a split.  So I cut both off.  The larger one was a little over 10lbs and the other a tad over 7lbs.

It was obvious I waited a bit too long on the big one.  I easily tore it open and much to my delighted surprise, it was loaded with huge, glistening carpals.  Definitely soft too.  Way too soft.  However, the flavor was incredible and it was by far the sweetest jackfruit I've ever tasted...and I've tasted some very good ones in Thailand.  The sweetness and flavor was enough to overcome the soft texture.  My wife thought it was very good but she did not like the texture at all.  One bonus was that all of the rag was just as delicious.  It truly was 100% edible flesh.  Some of this one will be used for making ice cream and other desserts.  My wife has been watching video recipes all morning.

The other jack could have stayed on the tree another week at least but it had a split.  The flesh was much firmer.  Not nearly as sweet as the other but still very good.  If I could have caught the bigger one in a stage between the two, I think it would have been a winner in taste and texture both.

As for latext?  Really wasn't an issue when messing with the carpals and rag.  If I got into the skin, then I could tell the knife was gumming up a bit.  But not bad at all.  I did wear gloves while doing all the cleaning though.  To give you an idea how far along the bigger fruit was, some of the seeds had already started to germinate.  Still damn good and should make some awesome ice cream...add a little coconut and...

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Picked my first jackfruits today!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Wow Jay,
very impressive, especially for Ohio!  Next years fruits will be that much better, just to remind me, the variety is 'Gold Nugget'?

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
Awesome!  You are making my mouth water with those pics.  I am going to have to go out and buy a jak now...
Brandon

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:12:46 PM »
looks like it was easy to open and thus perfectly ripe ... soft texture kind with slight firmness?

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
Ethan...yes, Gold Nugget.  Ben...nothing firm at all on the first one.  All flesh was very soft.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
Nice. Glad the tree avoided the ax. I actually like the types that aren't super crunchy. Sounds like a good one.

GwenninPR

• Zone 13 , Puerto Rico
    • Rio Grande, Puerto Rico zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Day Trips
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »
You are now officially "Ohio Jack"!   Amazing accomplishment!

TropicalFruitHunters

• View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:07 PM »
Thanks.  The most important thing I discovered today was that I really cannot eat a lot of jackfruit.  Maybe just too sweet?  Not sure.  I do like the flavor but it is just something I cannot sit down and consume in great quantities like some fruit.  Really look forward to the ice cream though.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
Tres cool!

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:54:04 PM »
I know what you mean about not being able to eat great quantities in one sitting.  The only one I had was a bit on the squeaky side, good, but I grew tired of it.  Maybe the lack of acid bored me.
Super congrats, Ohio is now the jackfruit capital of the midwest.  Get it named the state tropical fruit, put it on the state flag.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:32 PM »
Thanks.  The most important thing I discovered today was that I really cannot eat a lot of jackfruit.  Maybe just too sweet?  Not sure.  I do like the flavor but it is just something I cannot sit down and consume in great quantities like some fruit.  Really look forward to the ice cream though.

Way to go, Jay! Very impressive - a high bar for the test of us!

My experience so far is that I can't STOP eating jackfruit! Awesome stuff and like you said great ice cream especially with coconut. Mmmm

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 01:15:55 PM »
Great accomplishment, congratulations!

In addition to icecream, it also makes a good juice.  My brazilian relatives freeze all the fruit they don't eat in a single sitting or at risk of rotting, and then drop it into a blender with some water (and sugar in the case of acerola, araca una, etc) and you have a quick juice.  Icecream comes in plastic containers which are perfect for storing the frozen pulp for later use.