Author Topic: Please id this sour Borneo eggplant  (Read 1647 times)

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
Please id this sour Borneo eggplant
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:50:28 AM »
Hi,
I used to think that the sour Borneo eggplant is Solanum ferox and made a few videos abou it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5RmAastdIwM&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUudYOxs_TpXo5hgkbeWLc3V&index=4&t=0s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CTQfY1bfDdo&list=PL2AyaQ9frDUudYOxs_TpXo5hgkbeWLc3V&index=2

Recently somebody questioned that and i think they might have a point:

S. ferox seems to be a small hairy fruit used as a medicine in wide parts of Asia.

The people of Borneo insist that their sour eggplant is exclusively found on the island, it is larger, with a smooth shiny surface, a pleasent sour taste, a tough thin skin and is used as a common vegetable in Borneo/Kalimantan.

A great plant which should be cultivated throughout the tropics because its taste is nothing like the other Solanum species i know.

Has anyone eaten the small hairy S. ferox from Asia or the sour Borneo eggplant and do you have any info if they are the same or not?

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
Re: Please id this sour Borneo eggplant
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
The borneon eggplant is something that is eaten frequently here in my state of sarawak.i regularly plant them in my garden too.i believe the borneon eggplant is an undescribed species or maybe a subspecies.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 03:05:49 AM »
Guess you are right. But how can they fail to properly describe such a famous and tasty plant?
I ate lots of it two months ago in Sarawak👍. We should promote this eggplant.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »
I believe the main reason why they failed to describe it is because most of the population of Malaysia and Indonesia live outside of borneo and to them s.ferox is similar to this giant sour eggplant.besides in the non Borneo parts of Malaysia and Indonesia s.ferox is rarely eaten and unknown and aren't cultivated.lastly borneon cuisine are not as popular as their cuisine from the peninsular ,Java and sumatra

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »
I believe if this plant can make it's way to Thailand it will be popular.trust me I have eaten  Tom yam in kuching city that uses this eggplant and the taste is simply amazing.for the time being this exotic eggplant will remain unpopular unless more efforts are being made to promote borneon cuisine

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »
It looks a lot like Solanum quitoense 'Naranjilla', or Solanum sessiliflorum 'Cocona' from South and Central America. When I've cooked Cocona with a splash of lemon juice and good amount of sugar it cooks down a jam that taste a little like mango.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:06 AM »
So has no one on this forum seen, eaten or cultivated it outside of Borneo? Thats a pity. It should not be too hard to export the seeds.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 03:41:53 PM »
So has no one on this forum seen, eaten or cultivated it outside of Borneo? Thats a pity. It should not be too hard to export the seeds.
very few have seen or eaten it outside of borneo.good news is it's being cultivated for own use in home garden in peninsular Malaysia by ibans and other dayaks who migrated there in search of work

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 03:45:46 PM »
Btw glad to know there are foreigners who enjoy our exotic edible fruits and vegetables.

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »
Yeah, spread it all over Western Malaysia. Im sure they will love it.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »
PS just found out about your you tube channel
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acupunctureandherbs.co.uk/lilys-blog/2016/7/29/recipe-for-chinese-pearl-barley-water-%3fformat=amp
Heres something for you.barley water recipe

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:41 AM »
👍Thanks