Author Topic: lancetilla mango  (Read 6261 times)

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
lancetilla mango
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:22 PM »
Does this tree actually produce 5lb mangos? Whats the tree like? Does it produce a few? Are they good? Anyone growing one here?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: lancetilla mango
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:30 PM »
I have a tree growing in a container,  that has not flowered/fruited yet.  most reports by people that have tasted it, say its average at best, and not worth the space, unless you have a lot of space.

My tree has grown well, but  has shown susceptibility to powdery mildew at my location.

may i suggest a Keitt?, there normal weight is around 1.5-2 Lbs, but there was a record breaker Keitt in Hawaii,  that tipped the scale at 5lb 7 oz.   so if your looking for a big Mango, go for Keitt, at least i know that variety is decent, very productive and relatively disease free.

I am still waiting for my Lancetilla to produce its first fruit,  if its lousy, I will top work the tree, if its just ok, I may leave a branch, just to have the genetics around.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »
Does this tree actually produce 5lb mangos? Whats the tree like? Does it produce a few? Are they good? Anyone growing one here?

Why would you want a 5 pound mango and how likely is it to ripen in your rough climate? Better to have is the tree that produces 5 one pound mangoes

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Here is a post with a pic with a 5lb Lancetilla: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2305.0

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
For cooler climates you may want to get an Osteen,  Mild flavored, creamy texture, and they seem to do well in cooler climates, Osteen  has been dubbed "The European Mango" and grow well in Spain,  some videos I have seen of the plantations look weird, the tree are trained like Grapes,  kept small  and in cooler areas they cover in plastic.

But I agree with Zands, other than the novelty of having a huge mango,  there are zillions with excellent flavor, that can grow compact.  but out of the bigger varieties that are decent, Keitt and Osteen are good, these are just a couple I have experience with, there are many others, I am sure would be good choices for you also.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 09:29:38 PM »
Lancetilla is a mediocre mango. In my first year I had a huge 5 pounder that tasted like mush...pretty nasty. The second years crop were better but if I had to do it over again I would not purchase a Lancetilla.

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
No i get it. I just thought that too much mango wasnt good. And i would not try to grow one here. It would problably kill my tree trying to fruit and deal with 115°

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
I have a three year old planted Lancetilla tree. It flowered for the first time this year. I hope it doesn't plan to fruit. I worry it might kill the eight foot old tree.

About three years ago I saw a very large ripe Lancetilla mango, at a Fairchild Park Mango Show. It looked and smelled beautiful and yummy. I regret I didn't get to taste it. But, if it looked that good, and it smelled that good, from my experiences with mangoes, the taste should be as good.

I was dissappointed when I learned about the mold on the leaves, after I planted the tree; which I got for free from the money wasters at my local government.

I'll see how the tree behaves in my Zone 10b, and I'll also be observing the fruit production and quality for a few years. Then, decide whether it should be hacked or not.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:43 PM »
Lancetilla is best put, it is a novelty for its large sized fruit.  The taste/quality is not much short of poor, in the Harry driven Fairchild scale of poor-good-fair-excellent.  It has a bit of fiber and is just plain below average.  People who have the trees and have limited space (and are wanting a quality mango in that limited space) should consider outright replacing the tree.  I think I would rate this worse than a Carrie (and those who know me know how I feel about Carrie mangoes).
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
To me it has a bland flavor with a gelatinous flesh. My wife really likes it though. I recently planted one out to make the wife happy.
Jeff  :-)

mario

• phoenix az Zone9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
So according to your guys experience, bigger is not always better. Ive never seen one but thougt it wouldnt taste good.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
Personally, I prefer smaller mangoes (8 to 12 ounces).

So according to your guys experience, bigger is not always better. Ive never seen one but thougt it wouldnt taste good.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:25 PM »
I wouldn't pick a mango variety based on fruit size.  Just not worth it.  Yes, Lancetilla can spit out 5+ pounders and Keitt can also lay some 4+ pounders but I wouldn't pick either because of it.  I really do not like,, and would never recommend Lancetilla.  Keitt is not my favorite either but is miles better than Lancetilla.  Now, with that being said, and if you are limited on space, go with a variety that is known to produce well in your area and one that produces not only what is "coined" a quality fruit but one you like or think you would like based on flavor.
- Rob

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
If you want size, I would say go with a Keitt. There's a Keitt grown in the Philippines which tipped the scale at over 7 lbs!!!! Do a general google search for the pic. It's a world-record holder, for sure.

What in the world would you do with a 7 lb. mango careening down at your nog as you innocently wander around beneath your tree???  :o :o :o :o :o
✌🏽

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Lancetilla has a flavor & texture profile similar to Kent, but SIGNIFICANTLY better and later.  It is also more disease resistant.  When PROPERLY RIPENED on the counter - it has a classic rich sweet clean pure Florida mango flavor without any offensive undertones or aftertastes.   A good Lancetilla trumps Keitt, Kent, Beverly & Valencia Pride though VP has a different flavor profile (VP is mild  - Lancetilla is rich).  Lancetilla is rated 4 out of 5 stars for flavor by Pine Island Nursery and highly recommended for good flavor by John Painter/Pantropic Groves (Shot) who grows them on his 15 acre mango farm in Bokellia.  Lancetilla due to it's size takes longer to ripen on the counter & many of the bad reviews stem from people eating it too soon which is easy to do as they need an extra couple of days after they are soft to the touch.  It admittedly does have very poor flavor if eaten before fully ready.   Lancetilla isn't just an oddball mango it is also a very enjoyable eating experience.  It needs to get more respect than it does.  Anyone looking a very late mango should try Lancetilla for themselves, just make sure you give them enough time on the counter to come up to full flavor.   I was so surprisingly impressed by the flavor "9" and overall indulgent face first eating experience that I planted a Lancetilla.  This is significant as out of all the 60 or so mangoes I have sampled there has been less than 10 that I devoted yard space to.  Anyone who says they don't like Lancetilla never had a good one.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:28:31 AM by nighthawk0911@yahoo.com »
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk