Author Topic: Almond heat tolerance  (Read 1274 times)

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Almond heat tolerance
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
I have hall's hardy, mission and non pariel almonds in my orchard that have been growing nicely for me. They are about 4 years old now and a few put on blooms last spring. When it got really hot this summer (+/-100F) they dropped most of their leaves and just survived. I increased their water and that seemed to help some, but not all. The leaves were green, no chlorosis. The weather is cooling now, so I'm hoping they will recover.
I know some of you are in Cali and probably close to the surviving orchards there. Do they hold up to high heat for months there if they get enough water?
Thanks, D

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Almond heat tolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
Hi i am from Greece and i have in my farm many many Almond trees. We usually have all August and July with temps during the day at 100°F or above. I would recommend to water your almond trees well untill they grow quite big. After the intence heat they usually loose half of their leafes and the other half get a little burned but its nothing to worry about as they drop their leafes normally in one-two months.y trees have survived 110°F in 2017 for 3 days with no problem

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 11:35:34 AM »
Almond is considered most drought hardy fruit tree here in Romania ,where its native and grows wild.
They loose leaves in order to save water and survive drought .
This summer we had 3 months with zero rain and big drought.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
They are grown comercially in central califonia where is 100+ for most of summer.  You probably just need to water more.  Maybe throw some mulch on the ground
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:40:58 PM »
Almond trees are drought deciduous.They loose leafs in the winter but also on drought. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought_deciduous

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »
Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to increase my irrigation to the almonds! Do almonds grow shallow, horizontal roots, or are they deep, more vertical? Dan

Totally-Fruity

• Montagu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
Like most nuts they have long deep tap roots. :)