Author Topic: Upcoming March events at UM's Gifford Arboretum  (Read 1409 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Upcoming March events at UM's Gifford Arboretum
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:52 PM »
Passing this on from Stephen D. Pearson, Director of the Gifford Arboretum at UM.

Dear Friends of the Arboretum,

I hope you will join us for the following March events:

Saturday, March 2, 2013
I will lead a walking tour of the Maya Cocoa Garden Exhibit of the Gifford Arboretum this Saturday at 9:00 AM. The Mayans were a very interesting culture that was very advanced in certain respects. Come learn about some of the plants that were important to these people, including the sources of chocolate, chewing gum and kapok. We will meet by the semi-circle stone benches and the tour should last about an hour and a half. I will also be happy to look at and discuss other parts of the Arboretum after the initial tour is finished.

Thursday, March 7, 2013
Dr. Chad Husby of Montgomery Botanical Center will present "The Garden Primeval: Ancient Plant Forms in Nature and Cultivation." Dr. Husby is an expert on tropical gymnosperms and this presentation will be of interest not only to plant lovers, but also to anyone interested in evolution and the history of plant life. As always at our monthly meetings, contributions to our snack table are encouraged but not required. The meeting will take place at 7:00 PM in Cox Science Center Room 166. A poster is attached so please post it or share it with others who would be interested in attending.