Author Topic: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree  (Read 29778 times)

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
"Royal Purple" Mango Tree
« on: February 23, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
Hello Friends,

I am now recently intrigued with the "Royal Purple" Mango Tree, a Merritt Island selection.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a Grafted or Seedling Tree, or even some Budwood?  It would be greatly appreciated and I'd be willing to trade or pay for whatever you think is equitable.

Thanks everyone and hope to hear that someone knows where to find this Mango Tree.

Thanks,

Jacob

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: "Royal Purple" Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
The Ensey family would be the only direct source of budwood that I am aware of, so you could try contacting them. Someone posted that they have a Royal Purple seedling tree and that they were told by Ed Ensey it would come true from seed. Most of their mangoes were monoembryonic types, which if Royal Purple was in that category would mean it doesn't come true. If it does though perhaps they could provide you with some budwood also.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »
Hello Friends,

I am now recently intrigued with the "Royal Purple" Mango Tree, a Merritt Island selection.  Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find a Grafted or Seedling Tree, or even some Budwood?  It would be greatly appreciated and I'd be willing to trade or pay for whatever you think is equitable.

Thanks everyone and hope to hear that someone knows where to find this Mango Tree.

Thanks,

Jacob

I will make a few phone calls down south and see if I can't get some trees grafted up this summer for forum members.
I think I'll do some Osteen also, and Orange Delicious trees.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:38:12 PM »
Hello Friends,

Thanks,

Jacob

I will make a few phone calls down south and see if I can't get some trees grafted up this summer for forum members.

Hi Mangoman2, I would be interested in Osteen and Royal Purple if you can get them. Thanks, Oscar
Oscar

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »
Hello Friends,

Thanks,

Jacob

Hi Mangoman2, I would be interested in Osteen and Royal Purple if you can get them. Thanks, Oscar

Hi Fruitlovers
I have the trees already, I just need to see if a friend will graft the bud wood for me first. I'll keep in touch, Joe.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:10 AM »
I prefer Mobil 1.  ;D
Alexi

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

OK...where is the end of the line for these new....old mango cultivars?  Please keep me in mind for them as well.....I'm aftraid I might run out of mangoes this coming season. Can't have that!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:18:40 PM »
Oh Harry - you of all people - setting such a bad example!!!!!!

Have you been to any Mangoholic meetings lately?

........obviously not.....  :P

Gary on the Wagon  8)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:23:34 PM by MangoFang »

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
I have a seedling tree that Ed told me would come true from seed (I asked him "are you sure?" twice and he affirmed).  My tree is tall and lanky and would maybe yield 2-3 scions (it is a pretty skinny tree). You are welcome to have them; just e-mail me.

Best,
Dan
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
Sorry, but despite assurances to the contrary, no one can say for certain that the seedling will be true to the genetics of the parent plant.  Assuming it is poly embryonic...which hasn't been established for sure, there is a liklihood that it will be a clone, but still not a certainty.  The plant you have may still be a sexual reproduction of the parent tree and bear no likeness to that parent in terms of fruit .

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
I got a bunch of royal purple fruits today...can't wait to taste...anyone ever had this one??

also, FYI I tasted Austin mango, it's amazing, something between a Palmer and keitt.  they are so big and pretty I thought they'd be lack luster...but this is one book u can judge by it's beautiful cover!!

i must say Ensy has some amazing mangoes...that south tropical trail is like a mango forest...this spot is crawling with mangoes!!  people throw mangoes at squirrels to keep them off of their oak trees it seems...and I bet the squirrels of Merritt island taste delicious this time of year...when they gorge upon the finest mangoes.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoMan2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »
Hello Friends,

Thank

Jacob
[/quote

Jacob,

Did you get your budwood? It was sent FedX

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:27:52 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
Those mangoes look tasty.  :) The Austin mangoes look huge.
Alexi

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »

I am telling u when I saw austin mango, I said...oh...austin must be tommy atkins bigger cousin (nasty tasting, but pretty fruits in my opinion)...but let me tell u something...I like austin better then keitt, kent, and palmer.  Its funny because I found the aroma of austin fruits off putting (before slicing), but once sliced, they don't taste like they smell.... tastes good if u eat it a bit early, not too ripe...otherwise I think the pulp around seed will get soft like haden...and it won't taste as good.

I will make sure to post my opinion about royal purple...they look great, and are purported to have a grape taste....i will be judge of that!  Pickering has no coconut flavor to me!  I guess to each their own.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
found some info about the Royal purple flavor...sounds like a mango I want to grow...but let me eat one first...then I can make up my mind...I find a good grape taste to be something of rare occurrence.

http://centralfloridapalms.com/fruit/mango/mimangovar.htm

Austin

Little fiber, tart, citrus aftertaste, good   

Very large tree, purplish, huge fruit, weird bumps, cross between Kent and Royal Purple, and found as a volunteer under a Haden, shy bearer

Royal Purple   
Excellent with grape aftertaste

Large tree, fruit looks like hanging grapes. Small fruit, palmsize, dark Concorde grape skin.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »

I am telling u when I saw austin mango, I said...oh...austin must be tommy atkins bigger cousin (nasty tasting, but pretty fruits in my opinion)...but let me tell u something...I like austin better then keitt, kent, and palmer.  Its funny because I found the aroma of austin fruits off putting (before slicing), but once sliced, they don't taste like they smell.... tastes good if u eat it a bit early, not too ripe...otherwise I think the pulp around seed will get soft like haden...and it won't taste as good.

I will make sure to post my opinion about royal purple...they look great, and are purported to have a grape taste....i will be judge of that!  Pickering has no coconut flavor to me!  I guess to each their own.
As for the Austin, never had one  but I am not a fan of Kent, Keitt or Palmer (late season mangoes need to be really special to have any appeal with me...Neelam is the only one I look forward to).  Anyways, what makes you think it will get jelly seed (When Haden is good, it is a decent mango but I would not go as far to say that it is better "early" to avoid any possible jelly seed) ?

As to Pickering...I agree, the flavor reference to coconut is kind of a misnomer.  It may have a coconut nuance but that is the most I would give it (I have had other mangoes that have the same nuance but it is not a dominant flavor in any of them).  If you want coconut flavor in your mango, go for Coco Cream.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
bsbullie,

when I cut into the Austin early, the pulp around the seed was already almost too soft for my liking.

i doubt u would like Austin, if u don like Kent or keitt...Kent was a parent along with royal purple (I believe).
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 07:48:21 PM »
bsbullie,

when I cut into the Austin early, the pulp around the seed was already almost too soft for my liking.

i doubt u would like Austin, if u don like Kent or keitt...Kent was a parent along with royal purple (I believe).
Like I have stated, its not as much of a dislike but I think somewhat of a burnt out.  From eating the number of varieties and quantity of each of all of the early and midseason mangoes, by the time we get to the late season ones they have to be really good and special/different to really hold my attention. 

Also, just cause I don't have a fondness for them does not mean they are bad.   Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what they like and dislike.  There is no right or wrong in the tropical fruit world...a little crazy, yes.  ;) ;D
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 07:56:21 PM »
I thought u said your not a fan of keitt Kent or Palmer...

u never said u was burnt out...

that's why I'm guessing u wouldn't like austin...Kent is a parent.
bsbullie,

Like I have stated, its not as much of a dislike but I think somewhat of a burnt out.  From eating the number of varieties and quantity of each of all of the early and midseason mangoes, by the time we get to the late season ones they have to be really good and special/different to really hold my attention. 

Also, just cause I don't have a fondness for them does not mean they are bad.   Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what they like and dislike.  There is no right or wrong in the tropical fruit world...a little crazy, yes.  ;) ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »
I thought u said your not a fan of keitt Kent or Palmer...

u never said u was burnt out...

that's why I'm guessing u wouldn't like austin...Kent is a parent.
bsbullie,

A lot is the burnt out aspect that causes me to be not a fan.  To me, they are just average mangoes in the big picture.  After eating so many varieties from May into August, those mangoes are nothing special.  It is not an outright dislike but like I said, more "not a fan".  Would I eat one or two, probably but I could not eat the quantity I eat of the earlier mangoes I like better (or the late season Neelam).  Here is an analogy, I am not a fan of the Miami Heat (not even a huge basketball fan in general).  Do I watch an occasional Heat game (or basketball game), yes.  Do I root for the Heat to win, NO (I don't necessarily root for either team to win in a basketball game for that matter).  If I had to pick, Kent is better than Keitt.  Would I enjoy either of them more were they an early season mango, a primer of what is to come (like a rosigold), probably...
- Rob

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »
???

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
x
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:26:51 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:23 PM »
Adam,

Thanks for sharing your pics.  Great looking trees.  I hope to be stopping by soon to take a look and sample the varieties of MI myself.  Any stops that you would recommend?

Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk