Author Topic: Pomegrantes  (Read 6773 times)

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
Pomegrantes
« on: May 03, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Is anyone growing these in south Florida? If so are they fruiting reliably and what variety is it?  I love poms but I am not sure how well they do here, it seems like some places will sell you anything regardless if it fruits or not.
Thx
Ken

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Pomegrantes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:47:02 AM »
I had 2 wonderfuls that were anything but.Their defiance ended and now they are contributing to the garden in an earthy way.I planted seeds of white and yellow thai taptims because they are tropical and I am hopefully seed will pop up` soon.I would plant tropical ones.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 07:36:12 AM »
That's what I was thinking, I am going to have to try and find a variety that is suited for down here.  I'll have to ask around and do some more research. They are great fruit if we can get them to fruit lol.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »
I'm afraid that you really can't grow high-quality pomegranates in South FL.  I looked into it but decided against it.  They require a Mediterranean climate.  Too many great fruits you can grow.  Hate to see you waste the time and space!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:07:11 AM by johnb51 »
John

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 10:49:42 AM »
I've grown around 6-8 different pomegranate cultivars in S FL and none were that great. The stuff in the grocery store was better than any that I've had locally grown. I've grown the three cultivars that local nurseries sell as varieties that will do well here, and while they do fruit well, the quality of the fruit is not great. I've also grown a few different cultivars from Just Fruits and Exotics, and none were that great either.

UF has a collection of pomegranates in Central FL somewhere that they are experimenting with different cultivars. Hopefully they will find that have better quality fruit and does well here in FL and maybe it will survive down in S FL also.

I think I may have some more info on the UF collection in my emails... send me a PM and i'll forward you the info if you're interested.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
Yeah the more I look into it the more it seems like I won't be adding poms to my collection :/. Oh well there are plenty of other great fruits that do well here.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 12:02:46 PM »
I know it is discouraging, but there is hope. If along the way you happen to snag a few seeds or plant material from tropical varieties from say, Thailand, then you might be on your way to growing decent poms in FL. In Thailand, there were multiple juice stands where I would buy freshly squeezed juice. Sweet to the taste, with that classic pom tartness. I thought they were worth growing and nothing to scoff at regarding quality.

I'm guessing they were grown under tropical, humid climates vs imported.

An even rarer treat was a smaller variety with very deep red flesh (from Chatuchak Market) I ended up calling a "blood pom" just out of lack of knowing the variety name. I grew some seeds and it has flowered but an extremely dry spell might have caused the plant to drop all 20 flowers. It's about 2 ft tall right now. Don't know if the resulting seedling plants will differ greatly from the mother.

Just food for thought....
✌🏽

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
The juice on Chatuchak is nice but they are from imported pomgranates i think from Korea or China.

Thai pomgranates are not that nice, people grow them next to their fence for good luck. Most growers don't even pick them.

My MIL just killed her old thai pomgranate because it tasted awfull and i gave her the Indian version. If they  produce well in humid tropics i cannot tell yet. Her tree had 2 fruits allready 3 weeks after planting. Mine has fruits for 4 months now but they are grey coloured, not nice red. The tree's are small though so maybe later things change.

I grafted Taiwan variety onto my Indian one and it took.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
Chris that is very interesting, i did see some poms labeled Thai/Bangkok but I wasn't exactly sure about it.  When it comes to buying certain fruit tha I'm unfamiliar with I like to buy from people I trust.  I also heard that the Vietnamese variety may do well here but again who knows.  If any of you come upon something be sure to post it. 

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 07:18:11 PM »
The UF collection is in Lake Alfred and is being run by Bill Castle.  I have 9 cv's from UF but they are small trees still.  I may get to try at least one this year if this guy holds on.  It's the Nikitski ranni.

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »
The UF collection is in Lake Alfred and is being run by Bill Castle.  I have 9 cv's from UF but they are small trees still.  I may get to try at least one this year if this guy holds on.  It's the Nikitski ranni.

Nice! Is that particular one in the ground or in a pot? What region of fl are you in? Keep us posted if that fruit matures and you get to try it!

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
Ok, so Bangkok just confirmed that Thai juice poms are imported. So sad. Perhaps the Indian or Taiwan varieties will pull through and give us tropical fruit growers some hope.

If there's a will, there's a way I always say.  ;)
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 02:17:09 AM »
Ok, so Bangkok just confirmed that Thai juice poms are imported. So sad. Perhaps the Indian or Taiwan varieties will pull through and give us tropical fruit growers some hope.

Don't think the large white pomegranates (have slight pink blush) i had in Thailand were imported, and they were pretty good, and very large sized. I distributed seeds to a few folks in Florida, so guess we'll find out in a while if they are suitable there?
I think there is room for hope in Florida. Here in very rainy area it's pretty much useless. They flower but pollen does not set in rainy weather. In dry (Kona) side there are good pomegranates at lower elevations.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25:03 AM »
Tropical pomegranate are all over the place in thailand, north to south and tap tim trees can be seen in yard everywhere.The fruit have less red than most.They are in climates way hotter and wetter than Florida with fruit hanging heavy.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:14:17 AM »

Don't think the large white pomegranates (have slight pink blush) i had in Thailand were imported, and they were pretty good, and very large sized. I distributed seeds to a few folks in Florida, so guess we'll find out in a while if they are suitable there?
I think there is room for hope in Florida. Here in very rainy area it's pretty much useless. They flower but pollen does not set in rainy weather. In dry (Kona) side there are good pomegranates at lower elevations.

That explains a lot, Oscar. I had pom juice in several places around Bangkok and the poms being juiced were very large and whitish on the outside. I saw no indication that they were imported (foam mesh cups, produce sticker, outrageous price, tissue wrapper) but thought I could be wrong about where they came from.
I planted seeds of this variety as well but they have not flowered yet.

I ran into the really dark pom in Chatuchak and they were considerably smaller, dark, glossy red outside, and blood red inside.

Almost anything is possible in Thailand... Heck, I even visited a Thai vineyard in the  mountains of Hua Hin. All the vines were heavily laden with wine grapes and showed no indication that the climate was too hot.
✌🏽

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 06:47:30 AM »

That explains a lot, Oscar. I had pom juice in several places around Bangkok and the poms being juiced were very large and whitish on the outside. I saw no indication that they were imported (foam mesh cups, produce sticker, outrageous price, tissue wrapper) but thought I could be wrong about where they came from.
I planted seeds of this variety as well but they have not flowered yet.

I ran into the really dark pom in Chatuchak and they were considerably smaller, dark, glossy red outside, and blood red inside.

Almost anything is possible in Thailand... Heck, I even visited a Thai vineyard in the  mountains of Hua Hin. All the vines were heavily laden with wine grapes and showed no indication that the climate was too hot.

The small red poms you had in Chatuchak were probably imported. The big white ones all over in vendor carts of Bangkok aren't.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
The best ones come from Spain i heard, i guess that south Spain has about the same climate as Florida.

I never got pomgranates from Thailand, only imported ones. If the fruits that all my neighbours grow next to their gates were nice they sure would eat them. They all let them fall from the tree's and rot away.

I guess they sure grow nice ones in Thailand but maybe they are not good enough to bring to BKK for sale. And the nice imported ones cost 3 for 1 us$ on the market so better grow mango's to make money.

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:04 AM »
Anyone tasted pomegranate from India?
India is exporting poms to many countries.
Bhagwa is the most well known pom cultivar in India
It is large and very sweet.

Roy

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »

Roy

Yes i bought an imported one from India, it was huge and very nice.
I now grow the seedless Indian pomgranate but have no idea which species exactly.

How long do pomgranates have to grow/ripen on the tree? We have no idea when to pick our grey tennisball.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 06:04:59 AM »

Roy

Yes had pomegranates many times in India, quite nice. But never got any of the cultivar names.
Oscar