Author Topic: Best Figs for FL (or similar warm wet humid climates?)  (Read 31757 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Best Figs for FL (or similar warm wet humid climates?)
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
wow- $7 for a fig tree- thats an awesome deal

One gallooooon size I have seen them before and bought Ischia I think

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
Hello Friends,

I have the Violette de Bordeaux.  It is absolutely the most amazing Fig I have ever tasted.  I used to like Brown trukey and Black Mission, but after eating the VdB, I can't hardly eat them anymore for lack of flavor compared to the Vdb.  They are so rich, so sweet, the flesh is so dark and definitely has the berry undertone.  And it fruits at a very small size/age.  It is the Pickering of the Fig world. 

- Jacob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
I'm sure many of us are aware but for the few that don't, PLEASE do not buy BROWN TURKEY.  It's by far one of the most inferior Figs.

Brown  Turkey = Tommy Atkins

Now if you like TA, then ignore me  ;D
Tim

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:16 PM »
Been doing some research on this again, possible move to South FL soon.

From what I gather, I read several threads on various forums. These figs should do well;

Panache
Nero
JH Adriatic
Scott's black
LSU series (Gold, Purple, etc.)
Black Celeste
Marseilles VS Black
Alma
Dark Portuguese
Vista
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
Lowes has fig trees this week for $7.  Brown Turkey and Green Ischia.  I picked up a Green Ischia.  I hope it works for me in South Florida.  Anyone growing this one?

The Green Ischia didn't work out.  The new leaves would get spotted right away, and then start to decline.  I ended up taking it back to Lowe's for a $7 refund.  I'd still like to try LSU Purple.
John

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
These are my picks for South Florida.

Violete de Bordeaux is amazing in production and best tasting fig. Rich berry like delicious!
The fig is however very prone to rust. Fruit does not seem to be prone to splitting or spoiling.
Growing several container VDB for two years now.

LSU Purple very good less prone to rust good taste.

Kadota and White Genoa very good nice light green figs super flavor. Yes they will grow here in Florida!

Texas Blue Giant Bigger fig better taste than BT!

I have been experimenting with Panache but so far not impressed.
Also may have a few more to suggest soon we are growing.

Grow in containers if you have sandy soil

http://www.pepesplants.com

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »
Null I would add O'Rourke to the list.  Hands down best fig I have eaten and I have grown Celeste, alma, excel, conadria and Lu's purple.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
Conadria is growing really well so far. I have not had the fruit yet. How is the fruit?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2013, 11:14:52 AM »
I see someone called "Ben_in_SoFla" on internet with a very healthy good black mission tree in zone 10 South Florida. So good he has been giving away cutting from it...it was getting too large. >>>>>>  http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/Mission-fig-cuttings-available...for-postage-only-5071004  photo on this page of nice tree
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 11:31:36 AM by zands »

venturabananas

• USA, CA, Ventura, zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
I'm sure many of us are aware but for the few that don't, PLEASE do not buy BROWN TURKEY.  It's by far one of the most inferior Figs.

I know that lot's of people don't love Brown Turkey, including influential ones like Jon Verdick (Figs4Fun man), but taste is such a personal thing that to completely condemn this popular variety seems a bit too strong.  I inherited one when we bought our house.  It's a beautiful, very productive little tree, and some of my friends and neighbors really enjoy the fruit.  My tastes when it comes to figs, though, are similar to Tim's, and there are other varieties that taste better to me, but I can't complain about the performance of the plant.  Would I plant a different variety knowing what I know now?  Yes.  Will I rip this productive and attractive little tree out of my yard?  No. 

I'd say, taste a Brown Turkey fig before you decide to buy this variety.  You might love it.  Or not.

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »

I know that lot's of people don't love Brown Turkey, including influential ones like Jon Verdick (Figs4Fun man), but taste is such a personal thing that to completely condemn this popular variety seems a bit too strong.  I inherited one when we bought our house.  It's a beautiful, very productive little tree, and some of my friends and neighbors really enjoy the fruit.  My tastes when it comes to figs, though, are similar to Tim's, and there are other varieties that taste better to me, but I can't complain about the performance of the plant.  Would I plant a different variety knowing what I know now?  Yes.  Will I rip this productive and attractive little tree out of my yard?  No. 

I'd say, taste a Brown Turkey fig before you decide to buy this variety.  You might love it.  Or not.

Agreed, many people like brown turkery. Best to be the judge for yourself on subjective matters like taste.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:54 AM »
I'm growing a few varieties in the true tropics (13 N Lat) on an island with solid limestone covered with red clay.
Out of all the varieties I have, Black Madeira is by far the absolute best of them all. If they ripen during a stretch of dry weather a week's worth, they produce fruit with delicious and jelly-like raspberry jam-filled centers. They are consistently sweeter and more flavorful than the following:

Kadota
Celeste
BT
Negronne
St. Pietro
Galbun
Black Mission
Atreano

Other than that, with tons of rain, just about all of them can be filled with tasteless, watery mush that I don't care for. I have much, much better results when they are potted up and I can control the water they receive. All of them develop decent flavor that way.
✌🏽

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2013, 07:54:10 PM »
I'm growing a few varieties in the true tropics (13 N Lat) on an island with solid limestone covered with red clay.
Out of all the varieties I have, Black Madeira is by far the absolute best of them all. If they ripen during a stretch of dry weather a week's worth, they produce fruit with delicious and jelly-like raspberry jam-filled centers. They are consistently sweeter and more flavorful than the following:

Kadota
Celeste
BT
Negronne
St. Pietro
Galbun
Black Mission
Atreano

Other than that, with tons of rain, just about all of them can be filled with tasteless, watery mush that I don't care for. I have much, much better results when they are potted up and I can control the water they receive. All of them develop decent flavor that way.

I was going to ask about best figs for true tropical climate. Seems like Black Madeira is my first clue. What's annual rainfall in your area? I hope my 2000mm a year is not too wet for fig growing? Also anyone has opinion or experience with Black Brazil fig? It is grown commercially in Brazil. Bears very large dark figs.  It can bear up to 3 crops a year. Basically all year round in true tropics.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
In my location, we get a yearly average of 95 in. (2413 mm) of rain. More of it falling during our rainy season.

If I didn't have such fast-draining soil (mostly limestone rubble/thin clay surface) where the figs are planted, I think the figs would all turn to mush.

Most of them are quite decent and ripen with sweet, jelly-like interiors with about a week's-worth of dry weather here.

Without super fast draining soils as my saving grace, I think I have too much rain going on here for figs in general, IMHO.

We're in our "dry" season and it's been dry enough for all my figs to defoliate. They are all still healthy and green, with plump stems and ripening fruit. So far, I've been having luck with the Black Madeira as they ripen slowly, one-by-one.  ;D
✌🏽

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
Any more updates from South FL growers?

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Chris you get about the same rainfall as me and it is true that very few fig varieties can be grown in wet tropical places. With good drainage brown turkey will grow and produce and black genoa can also thrive.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 12:32:55 AM »
Any more updates from South FL growers?

Jeff,

I just got a few really nice figs from Just Fruits and Exotics (they are mail order, in Crawfordville, FL)....I got an LSU Improved Celeste, and an O'Rourke....both are Celeste hybrids that perform very well in the humid climate of south/central FL.

I love Celeste as it is...so these two cultivars are a welcome addition to my collection.

The 3 gal plants from Just fruits and exotics cost 29.99 each, but man....they're huge...about 4 ft tall...and ready to bear this year....although mine probably won't be bearing this year....they're more likely to be hacked up for propagation!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2014, 01:03:34 AM »
Panache "tiger striped" fig does it for me. A ripe one is really good, like cherry jam flesh, crunchy seeds and mild figgy flavor.  I Love em! Haven't had a better fig yet, though I haven't tried a plethora of fig varieties.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2014, 01:18:35 AM »
Panache "tiger striped" fig does it for me. A ripe one is really good, like cherry jam flesh, crunchy seeds and mild figgy flavor.  I Love em! Haven't had a better fig yet, though I haven't tried a plethora of fig varieties.

I've heard mixed reviews from growers who've tried to fruit this in FL...makes me wonder why nobody grows them here??

it's such a beautiful fruit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2014, 02:11:20 AM »

I've heard mixed reviews from growers who've tried to fruit this in FL...makes me wonder why nobody grows them here??

it's such a beautiful fruit.

It's a late cropper here. First ripe fruits appear in late july/august and go through until about December. There's a short window for phenomenal panache fig here. They're supposed to like  a lot  of summer heat, but they come out really good even in my cool climate.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
Beautiful and luscious pic's thanks for posting, I'm too cool in Summer to grow this variety but have tasted these over in Valley and when there grown in heat man they get big and yummy! 8)

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
Beautiful and luscious pic's thanks for posting, I'm too cool in Summer to grow this variety but have tasted these over in Valley and when there grown in heat man they get big and yummy! 8)

Are you sure you're too cool to grow this variety? lol 8) I thought my climate was too coll as well, but it seems to perform well here.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »

Are you sure you're too cool to grow this variety? lol 8) I thought my climate was too coll as well, but it seems to perform well here.

Vallejo is a good twenty degrees warmer than Arroyo Grande in the summer.  (Paso Robles on the other hand, 45 miles north of Arroyo Grande, gets hot.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:13:33 PM by johnb51 »
John

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2014, 01:44:16 PM »

Vallejo is a good twenty degrees warmer than Arroyo Grande in the summer.

I was told by Jack that the morning marine layer does not burn off quickly for the area including Arroyo Grande (until the afternoon usually).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:53 PM »

Vallejo is a good twenty degrees warmer than Arroyo Grande in the summer.

I was told by Jack that the morning marine layer does not burn off quickly for the area including Arroyo Grande (until the afternoon usually).
Yes, I've tried it in past but never fruited right not enough heat to mature fruit. Jack is inland from where I'm at my 2-3miles and makes a big difference. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk