Author Topic: Bush berry  (Read 991 times)

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Bush berry
« on: June 09, 2020, 11:12:42 PM »
Found this one in lows

PersephonesChild

• Bakersfield, California: Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Bush berry
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
Ooohhh.

How much are they going for? Might have to go have a look-see at my local Lowes tomorrow.
Cheers-
Cris

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 11:42:27 PM »
$120, the tree is about 7 feet tall in a 15gal.  it is there for a long time.  I didn't know it is berry tree until last night.  I am waiting for it is on sale. 

Does anyone tried the fruit before?  How is taste like?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 12:14:16 AM by pinkturtle »

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 01:29:47 AM »
I have this as hedges on my rental property. They grow really fast, you can get a 5 gallon for $30 at any nursery that carry drought tolerant/ hedge plants. They will fruit almost right away.
I don't know if you can grow them from cuttings, I trim the hedges regularly, I always have tons of cuttings.
The berry tastes okay, texture is like wax jambu, with the spongy middle part just like wax jambu too, pretty juicy, the really ripe ones quite sweet, the unripe ones is a bit tart. It has small seeds in the spongy part.
Actually they are really look like mini wax jambu and taste like one too.
I like them as hedges because they are super drought tolerant and grow fast. If you want to try the berries, contact me around Feb-March. I will have tons of them wasted.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:49:10 AM by palingkecil »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 12:27:37 PM »
I always visit the nearest HomeDepot or Lowes when I visit southern states, they have so many tropicals that are never sold in my region.  It's such a tease, though it makes sense why they do it this way.

In northern states they have very good selections of temperate fruit trees, usually even better than local nurseries.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
$120, the tree is about 7 feet tall in a 15gal.  it is there for a long time.  I didn't know it is berry tree until last night.  I am waiting for it is on sale. 

Does anyone tried the fruit before?  How is taste like?

I sample this from time to time whenever i see them. Small mealy, mildly sour apples with a hint of cloves. We do have one hedge in our neighborhood with fruit that seems a little better and my wife always eats them when we pass. Texture is the same but the flavor is a bit richer. I have no idea if that's the trees, the conditions or just a figment of our imagination. I wouldn't bother unless you have tons of space. Even then, I don't think I'd bother.
Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk