Author Topic: second worst nightmare come true...citrus canker  (Read 4125 times)

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
second worst nightmare come true...citrus canker
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
next to citrus greening, just about the worst thing you can have is citrus canker and my grapefruit has it.  im not even sure what to ask anyone, cause I don't think many of you have had to deal with it before.  ill take any info you can give me, on the best products, best practices to protect the other trees and whatever else you can think of...

thx

red
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: second worst nightmare come true...citrus canker
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
Sorry to learn of your tree's problem, but it's not the end.

I have citrus canker on some of my trees.  It spreads easily in a shadehouse or in locations where citrus trees are very near each other, such as a commercial orchard.  However, in my experience, it does not spread widely or quickly if the trees are separated, or inter-planted with other species.

What I'm telling you is not scientific gospel, and may not be 100% technically accurate, but I think that keeping the leaves dry when watering reduces it's spread.  I also trim off some branches that are badly infected and send the branches to the dump.  If a tree is less than two or so years old, it's probably  best to pull it out and replant a healthy tree.

One year I had many rootstock seedlings infected.  I destroyed them and the next year I had no problem at all in the shadehouse.  I'm in a humid tropical climate with a wet and dry season, so your experience may be different.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:35:52 PM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
next to citrus greening, just about the worst thing you can have is citrus canker and my grapefruit has it.  im not even sure what to ask anyone, cause I don't think many of you have had to deal with it before.  ill take any info you can give me, on the best products, best practices to protect the other trees and whatever else you can think of...

thx

red

I think your citrus growing days are over. You should ask the Louisiana citrus group what to do.

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
im not giving up yet mrtexas.  its only one tree out of 8.  im looking into some copper fungicide to slow it down, have you tried that at all jcaldeira.  im pretty much in the same climate as you, just all my trees are in ground outdoors, I think the rainy season is going to be my biggest problem here.
owari satsuma, ruby red grapefruit, sunburst tangerine, meyer lemon, ponkan mandarin, st ann satsuma,  gold nugget mandarin, nagami kumquat, pineapples

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »
redster, as Jcaldeira wrote the first line of defense against canker is exclusion.  Where canker is a major problem, effective control require an integration of all appropriate cultural practices.  In regions where canker is endemic, windbreaks are effective , Working among infected trees when the trees are wet from dew or rain, MUST be avoided.  Leafminer control is particularly important on young trees, and cultivars that have a greater frequency of growth flushes.  Copper sprays have been shown to reduce infection.  Because citrus fruit is particularly susceptible to canker during the first two or three months, it is very important to maintain a spray coating of a copper spray on the rind surface throughout this young growing period.  Two or even three sprays may be required, depending on the amount of rain fall .  Unfortunately, even more spraying is generally required to provide  control on grapefruit, which is very susceptible to canker.    If you are growing Satsumas and Valencia oranges, they are much less susceptible to canker.  Redster,  be consistent and faithful to your attempts of controlling this disease. - My  very best to you and your trees - Millet 

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:55:28 AM »
Don't send the branches to the dump, burn them. Odds are if you send them to the dump they will get chipped up and turned into mulch or further into compost, thus spreading canker further.

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »
well exclusion isn't much of a choice for me, the tree sits about 2 feet from my Satsuma. luckily the infection is on the opposite and open side of the tree.  why are some of the trees less susceptible? is it that the bacteria don't like the tree or the tree has a stronger immune system?  I realize that may be the wrong terminology but comparing it to humans is all I can do.. the canker wiki page says that c. reticulata  is resistant, does that mean like 75% resistant on that simple scale. besides the grapefruit which of my trees are the most at risk? does the meyer lemon fall into the lemon or orange category?  I assume they can still all carry the bacteria even with no symptoms.

I live in the middle of a city, burning isn't really an option, im going to have to look into it and see what is legal for me to get away with.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »
Of the eatable commercial type of citrus only the Satsuma and Valencia are resistant.  The percentage of resistance that they have I do not know. - Millet

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:06:31 PM »

thx

red

I'm not sure I read you correctly... do you want to try saving the infected tree and risk the seven other healthy ones? Or are you going to cull the infected tree and try treating the rest to make an attempt at keeping them from getting infected.

Regards,

Gary

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:00 AM »
Don't confuse resistant with immune.
The resistant can play carrier to the non-resistant.

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
well last week I started round 2 against the canker.  I had my tree cleaned up after about 2 weeks and good for at least one month.  after about 2 weeks of rain it came back.  Ive looked all around my neighborhood I cant find a source for catching it, but about 3 to 4 miles down the road is a major hotspot for it, with at least 6 infected trees, 3 of them badly.  its possible it travelled that far.  the state doesn't have the money to take care of it, and don't seem to care, Im not sure what the owners are thinking, im about to start knocking on doors to see if they even care.

as far as my tree is concerned, I haven't changed my mind, im fighting it. I check every few days, prune what I have to, I spray every week or so, theres no sense losing my 400 grapefruit hanging on the tree when other people are the ones carrying and spreading it
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:27:14 PM by redster »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:05:38 PM »
Redster, If I was a grapefruit tree, I would want to be growing in your yard.  The best of luck to you and your tree. -Millet

redster

• new orleans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 09:19:21 PM »
thanks for the vote of confidence Millet. ill keep you updated and let you know if you survive.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
Redster, be sure you do.  Our members would be very interested in your battle against canker. - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk