Author Topic: Lychee tree: to prune or not?  (Read 4334 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Lychee tree: to prune or not?
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
This Kaimana lychee tree had its central leader cut off when I bought it, and has grown more laterally than vertically.   I'm afraid that if the tree is supported on these two lateral branches at the base, it will be more prime to breakage. 

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should pug the tree and cut it off just below the two low lateral branches. 

Opinions appreciated!

Thanks. 

Brad

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee tree: to prune or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »

I would be very afraid to pug a Lychee tree, I just don't think they respond as well to pugging as mango trees...but "if" it were my tree I would do some trimming to force it to grow more out and take some of the weight off those branches that have all the weight on them. It does seem like it is likely to break or snap during a windy storm day and that could cause some serious damage...but you should wait for more "expert" advise which I am clearly not,lol...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
I personally would wait until the tree is better established and has big growth spurt, and then prune to desired shape.
Oscar

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:56:56 PM »
I have no experience pruning lychee - this is the first year I will prune mine, after I harvest my first few fruit. So I am looking forward to watching this discussion on how lychee responds to pruning. I have a lot of other trees, and I think you are right that these scaffolds might not be optimally placed. I think if it were me, I'd take off that topmost branch and leave a stub about 4 inches above the other two branches to see if you could induce some better scaffolds to sprout (don't known how likely that is), but it would be in the position of apical dominance, so seems like that would give the best chance. And if I were doing that anyhow, I think I'd use the summer to turn that topmost branch into an air layer. It looks like when separated it might make a nice shaped tree. My lychee has a badly placed branch that I'm going to try making into an air layer so long as the branch needs to come off anyhow.

I talked  to an elderly gentleman at the Orlando tropical fruit club once about how he protects his lychee from cold. He has huge trees, and he said he aims to protect 8 feet of trunk, and if he can save that much it will form a nice tree again. So lychee must be capable of resprouting from the trunk.

Can't wait to hear from the lychee experts out there! What is the ideal branch to trunk angle for a good lychee scaffold?

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:12:25 PM »

Of course mine is still fairly young, but I prune mine every year...but I've never "pugged" it. I just pruned mine a couple of weeks or so ago and it has new growths all over. I pruned most of the the branches and removed about 12"-16" off....
I took this picture today...I will tip prune it again in 2-3 weeks to stay in line with lycheesonline instructions ...

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:49:58 AM »
That is a hard call. If your current scaffold branches is able to hold the weight of the future growths of the tree, it will be a nice, extra wide umbrella shape. You do have to worry about winds where you live however so the tougher call of topping your tree below the current wide angled scaffolds is probably you safest bet. I would time the cutting of your tree to the timeline from lycheesonline.com like Pug suggested. Let us know how it goes.
Simon

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »

Brad, did you decide to prune it or let it go? "Inquiring minds want to know"  ;)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 01:31:48 PM »
Sorry to ask , what is pugging ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:45:50 PM »
It seems to be a term used mainly by Florida members when talking about pruning their mangoes down to essentially a stump and that makes them grow new lower branches to form a better tree shape that can better withstand hurricanes.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:48 PM »
It seems to be a term used mainly by Florida members when talking about pruning their mangoes down to essentially a stump and that makes them grow new lower branches to form a better tree shape that can better withstand hurricanes.
:) Thanks
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »

Luc, I found this from the "frequently asked questions" Hope it helps  :)

6)How do you "pug" a tree?

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=193.0

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »
it's actually more about cold protection, as pug lives in central fl and is involved in zone-pushing
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk