Author Topic: Hasya vs oxkutzcab sapodilla trees  (Read 7656 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Hasya vs oxkutzcab sapodilla trees
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
I've got an Ox sapodilla tree occupying a spot in my full yard.  Lately I'm getting concerned that I may only get a dozen fruits per year from it....especially when I could replace it with another variety such as Hasya and get decent production of a larger fruit. 

One online reference mentioned that varieities such as hasya, molix and morena tend to get limb breakage issues from the fruits weighing down the branches. Supposedly that can look unattractive in a front yard, whereas Ox supposedly doesn't have these issues.

Has anyone experienced these limb breakage issues?

Any opinions on differences in taste and texture of any of the larger varieties?

Thanks!

Brad
Brad

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Hasya vs oxkutzcab sapodilla trees
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Hi Brad, I have a small mollix, probably <4 Ft tall. Without exaggeration, it flowers almost non-stop. I have fruits of different stages/sizes at a given time. Fruits are large and sweet. I wait until the fruits are soft before I pick them. I have never had branches break because of fruits, not even strong wind ever break any limb. Each fruit has just 1-2 seeds.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
Thanks Jeg. 

The pine island nursery website lists the season for molix to be feb-May.  UF site says feb-apr. 

So have you found that your season for molix is longer than the above references?

Do you happen to grow alano also?

Brad
Brad

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
I see this thread did not go too far in gaining interest but i like the discussion so wanted to drop in! I have 2 Hasya and one silas woods. My first Silas Woods snapped in half at the trunk and died. No fruit was on it  and was young. The Hasya seems much stronger and still have had no fruit as of yet do to the fact they have been in the ground only a year.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »
I chain sawed down my ox for it continue unfruitfulness today but kept the Alano due to its over sweet no grit for ice cream & practically year round production to make room for rare Annona.  Hasya was chainsaw down last year for overgrown size & made more room for rare coconuts.  I found both large fruited variety unreliable in fruiting with ox being the worst offender.  Alano was so productive year round and bushy growth it makeup harvestable quantity for its medium size fruit.  Both large fruit I prefer the Hasya but both are large trees that take up a lot of room for the little amount of yield as compare to compact Alano.  Brittle spindly growth the norm when young & in shade area can exaggerate.  Good city mulch from Palm Beach Waste Authority seem to help thicken its brittle branch tendency.  Although they thrive on neglect & poor soil, fertilizer whether organic or chemical induce strong branch development. Judicious trimming seem to also thicken branch development by keeping it compact in early year to develope hurricane proof trunk, after that spindly lateral branches can be support by a now buttress root system. A beautiful tree for shade & landscape for those that can afford the room. :)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:26:43 PM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »
Brad, I do not know why my tree is out of synch with the norm. Right now, it has fruits the size of a small grape and I picked the last ripe fruit around two months

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:47 PM »
No contest...Hasya is one of the best Sapodillas...I would remove the OX...it's a mediocre tree at best
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:38:41 PM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:08:41 PM »
I've decided to keep the Ox and not replace it with a Hasya.  I purchased the Ox because that was my favorite sapodilla fruit variety that I have eaten.  I figure my Alano tree will cover my production needs for sapodilla fruit in general, and the Ox will be a very occasional treat. 
Brad

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 09:52:27 AM »
Looks like oxkutzcab sappo is becoming the "lancetilla" of sapodillas. I've had mines in ground for about 3 years now and this year it has flowered profusely than ever. Haven't tasted the fruit yet but I'm optimistic. I been enjoying the heck out of my similarly aged alanos though. Almost round the year sappos at my yard.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 01:36:51 PM »
The original question regarded limb breakage.  I guess the question might be moot in view of Brad having made his decision, but for general information Hasya does occasionally have limb breakage from the weight of fruit. I would not say that it is such a problem that it affects the appearance of the tree from a front of yard view perspective, but it does happen.  I have not experienced limb breakage with OX, Molix or Alano.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
Harry

How productive is your Ox?
Brad

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
It wasn't very productive before Hurricane Wilma.  Maybe 10 fruits in a good year.  The tree was leveled by Wilma, but has since grown back.  I am not sure if what I have now is still OX or if it is a root stock off shoot.  Its still not very productive.  But, when you get one of those giant OX fruits, it makes the limited production very tolerable.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
I can only wish for genetic scientists to the rescue and make the 'Ox' to be a consistent, productive tree of giant sapodilla fruit. If they were able to remove the seeds out of watermellons, I don't see why this is not possible and easier to do.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 11:31:31 PM »
I can only wish for genetic scientists to the rescue and make the 'Ox' to be a consistent, productive tree of giant sapodilla fruit. If they were able to remove the seeds out of watermellons, I don't see why this is not possible and easier to do.

???  ::)
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 11:34:36 AM »
For the sake of contributing more info to this Ox var, mines is flowering profusely. Hope this is the year something bears to maturity :) . I haven't given up.
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
How does alano do in pots?
always longing for a JA Julie

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »
I can see it growing well in a 45gal and 90gal nursery pot and fruiting. Making the soil from scratch may break your back :D.
F*ck squirrels and deers

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
How does alano do in pots?

How long do you want to keep it in a pot?  You and it will suffer in the longer term...
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
Hey Rob, if things shake out as I'd like..hopefully in another 2 to 3 years I will be in a new place (adequate planting space a purchase criteria )...how's 3 years in a pot?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 09:19:57 PM »
Hey Rob, if things shake out as I'd like..hopefully in another 2 to 3 years I will be in a new place (adequate planting space a purchase criteria )...how's 3 years in a pot?

Yes, that is pretty much doable.   How big is it now and what size pot its it in now?
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
I don't have one yet..thinking about getting a 3-g soon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »
I don't have one yet..thinking about getting a 3-g soon

You shohld be fine in a pot for 3 years.  If grown to maximize plants abilities,  year 3 wohld most likely be in a 25 or 45 gal.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk