Author Topic: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa, sprouting  (Read 16550 times)

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
Re: Sapote de Mico, Pouteria torta subps. gallifructa, sprouting
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 10:25:11 PM »

PS i love this species name "torta" because it means cake in spanish! You can have your cake and eat it too!  :D

Torta doesn't mean cake in all Latin American countries.  For example, Cubans don't use the word Torta for cake. Back in the old days in Cuba, cakes were known as Pastel. Don't confuse that with pastelito cause it's something different.

We use "torta" as a short slang/abbreviation for the word Tortillera, which means Lesbian.  :o 

It's interesting, cause even though all latin American countries speak the same language, they all have different ways of speaking.  A Spanish word could have different meanings, depending on what country from Latin America you're from.

Spanish is my first language. Torta means cake in Spain and in all of spanish speaking South America. Pastel usually means pie, not cake. What you are saying about it meaning lesbian is purely slang, not official language. True every country has different slang.
Oscar
En Mexico, se refiere a un tipo de sandwich :D

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 10:32:52 PM »
I always found it hard to believe that Sapote de Mico was a subspecies of Pouteria torta, owing to major morphological divergence. Sure enough, the taxonomists at Flora do Brasil reclassified this as Pouteria gallifructa. Also the ssp. glabra has been defined as P. guianensis. Sure to spark disagreement...
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
I always found it hard to believe that Sapote de Mico was a subspecies of Pouteria torta, owing to major morphological divergence. Sure enough, the taxonomists at Flora do Brasil reclassified this as Pouteria gallifructa. Also the ssp. glabra has been defined as P. guianensis. Sure to spark disagreement...
Pouteria gallifructa has always been a synonym for Pouteria torta subsp. gallifructa.
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/record/kew-164129
There is already a species names Pouteria guianensis, so i don't see how Pouteria torta subespecies glabrea could be change to a name that is already taken up?
http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl1.1/search?q=pouteria+guianensis
Oscar

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
Ok always been a synonym. But now Pouteria gallifructa is the "synonym" with priority, no? That should be the default way to perceive Sapote de Mico. Certainly more streamlined than dealing with lengthy subspecies/varietal nomenclature, that may be more wrong than synonymous.

As for P. torta glabra and P. guianensis (guajava) I suspect some midentification has occurred in the past.

theplantlist.org is probably just working off FloraDoBrasil (with some delay)
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
yea a tall trunk which makes it a perfect canopy tree. Maybe with a bunch of TLC i can get it to 80 feet in 80 years  ;)
this is actually a pretty fast growing tree, it grew a foot already in the past 2 months and it’s been slightly cold lately.