Everything Else > Recipes

Kombucha Recipe?

(1/4) > >>

FruitFreak:
Does anyone have a decent recipe for kombucha?  Thanks

From the sea:
You need a scoby, after you have that, you make really sweet strong tea add the scoby and let ferment 7-14 days depending on taste. After it has reached your desired level of acidity, you have to bottle it and let it sit one more week to carbonate. I use grolsch-style bottles because they are reusable.

Growing a SCOBY

Buy a bottle of kombucha

pour the bottle in a quart mason jar

cover with a clean wash cloth and rubber-band it so it wont fall off.

place in a cool dark place until the scoby gets to be about 1/2" thick.

now its ready to use

Making Kombucha 

I make mine about a gallon at a time, if you want to add other herbs to the tea you can, but you must always use the same amount of black tea because that's were the SCOBY gets its nutrients from.

What you will need:
12-14 teabags per gallon of water
4 cups of sugar per gallon of water
a big pot to boil the water in
a glass jar that holds a Gallon + of water

first you boil the water hard for a few minutes, then you pour it into the glass jar (I always have the jar 1/4 full of room temp water so I dont bust the big jar) only fill the jar 3/4 of the way

add the sugar and stir

add the tea bags and let steep until the water in the jar is less than 90 deg.

now that the strong sweet tea is cool, add the scoby and some of the old kombucha (it acidifies the water making it more suitable for the bacteria and yeast)

cover with a piece of cloth and let it sit in a cool, dark place for 7 days, taste it if you want a stronger flavor let it sit more.

now to carbonate it, pour the kombucha into grolsch bottles and close the top, let those sit about a week then you can refrigerate and enjoy

You can adjust the sugar, but i would wait until after you try it, because the yeast uses a lot of it up.

hope that helps

nullzero:
From the sea,

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try this sometime (its on my to do list!).

From the sea:
no problem

FruitFreak:
Excellent!  Do you ever infuse with fruit for flavor?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version