Author Topic: Pairing up mango trees  (Read 12330 times)

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
Re: Pairing up mango trees
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 12:29:32 AM »
Here's an update on my mango combo plantings for 2016. All trees are on Florida's rootstocks BTW.
Hope y'all enjoy the photos.

Combo #1 Carrie Mallika Pickering(recovering from previous year abuse)

Carrie fruiting from the trunk

Mallika fruits

Combo #2 Peach Cobbler Mahachanok Ugly Betty

Peach Cobbler fruits

Combo #3 Sweet Tart Edward OS(LZ)

Sweet tart fruits

Edward fruit

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 12:48:51 AM »
Awesome updates Max, looks like you have plenty of fruit. I'm sure you're aware of the potential rootstock issues already but your trees are looking good so far. Please let us know which varieties taste best to you.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 01:35:41 AM »
Why do people feel the need to let trees tgat are clearly to small to be fruiting hold fruit.  It has bern repeated and the horse is now dead. ..you are doing nothing but harming the life of a small mango tree when you let it hold fruit like that.  This isnt a sprint snd there are no awards given to the person who has a small tree like that hold fruit, and th a t many fruit, to boot.  People need to learn patience.
- Rob

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2016, 12:10:12 PM »
Max,

Can we get some updated pictures of your trees? Wondering how they have grown since July 2016.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
update  pics 11/13/16 Everything growing strong! Enjoy the photos!

Pickering, Carrie, Mallika

Mallika

Carrie

Pickering

Ugly Betty

Peach Cobbler

Sweet Tart, LZ, Edward

Edward side

Sweet Tart Side

alangr088

• Los Angeles, Zone 10B Sunset 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 11:03:04 AM »
Awesome updates!!! This is uplifitng knowing that the florida rootstock is growing well for you! As i myself recently purchased trees with what im assuming is Turpentine rootstock. That Peach Cobbler is a nice nice size!

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 12:07:37 PM »
Enjoying the updates :). Seems like you had fruits from some trees in July of 2016. How were they?
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »
Here's my first pair up so far. Carrie on the left and Sweet tart on the right.

OK, what do you do to have a 3 gallon tree grow above your awning in less than 2 years. Wow.  :) Good job. They look great.

How do you do it? Is it just the lower humidity of California decreasing fungal growth?
Do you do anything special to keep aphids and other insects at bay to decrease loss of tree sap/nutrients?
I see you use colored brown wood chips but I assume the brown color does nothing special?   ;)
Maybe the sun is shinning through the special atmosphere over the pacific and stimulating plant growth more than through the atmosphere over the Atlantic. Perhaps the San Gabriel Mountains are drawing the trees upward toward it or maybe the moon passes more over California than Florida and pulls the tree up as it lifts the tides. And to top it all off you posted pictures of the trees having maturing fruit which could have made them even taller had the nutrients not been sent to the fruit. Wow.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:41:03 PM by palmcity »

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
TnTrobbie, all the fruits from these young trees this year tasted amazing! That's no BS. All the people that got to try them had the same response. Im taking full flavor mangos here.  The Carries were my favorite. Tasted same as last year, absolutely delicious! It's pretty incredible how such young trees can produce such awsome tastings fruits. I could only imagine how much more intense the  flavors will be as the trees matures.

Palmcity, all the trees were purchased as 7g trees. Except for the Pickering was tiny 3g. Im pretty lucky over here. No issues with any insects/pest at all. From time to time, I do notice those sap sucking bugs. The trees are healthy, so not too much of a concern. As for the brown colored wood chips, nothing special about it. It's just to prevent weed from growing.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »

Pictures updates taken today on combo plantings. All are growing well, especially peach cobbler. Only little Pickering is falling behind.  Some minor die back here and there. Mahachanok almost ready to eat.

Peach cobbler heavy bloom

Sweet tart bloom
image upload without registration

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
Beautiful trees as always. I am jealous of your ugly betty. I had my UB for almost a year now and it has not put out any new growth.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2017, 06:09:41 PM »
Beautiful updates! Your Peach Cobbler is going insane! I like the space saving technique of planting multiple trees in a hole. BTW, what's your fertilizer regime? Are you using the Patrick plant steroid make your dog turn green foliar regiment? http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=241.0

Simon

CBG35

• Escondido CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 08:27:46 PM »
I too would LOVE to know how you care for your mango trees to get such amazing growth in CA on turpentine rootstock!?!

I know you mentioned that you bought 7G trees.  Did you let them fruit in the first year after planting?

Please tell us your secrets! 

I've got VP, Glenn, LZ, PPK, Sweet Tart, Phoenix, and Fruit Punch.  I've also got Carrie and Malika, but I think I might need to graft the Carrie and Malika onto my mature Manila and lose the trees on the turpentine.  For me, they just flower too much and don't grow vegetatively (not vigorous enough varieties in my area?).  Will probably replace with Keitt, Haden, and Gold Nugget on Manila rootstock.

Cyndie

manicmango

• Ca (818), 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but fruit4me where do you buy your mango trees? I'm in Chatsworth so we're pretty close! So far I have Manila and Alphonso but I'm hunting for many of the varieties you're growing and I'm so encouraged by your success!!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »
Looking great!

I got 1 final spot left in my yard , going to plant PC, Fairchild , And maybe another Pickering !

Ed
Zone 10