Author Topic: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016  (Read 21226 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:20:23 PM »
Around 2012 I received some seeds of the Berry and Amber jackfruits from Australia and I planted them all and shared them out to many different people in South Florida. I only had one space for a jackfruit so I planted a Berry seedlings in my yard. I didn't actually plant out the seedling until 2014 so it was sitting in a container for around 2 years. I checked it today and I saw its first male flower. Hopefully it will have some females soon.

Can everyone else that I've shared the Amber and Berry jackfruit seedlings with reply to this post as well regarding how your tree is doing? Also, others who received the seeds directly from AU themselves, please post how your tree is doing as well.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Jackfruit Seedlings Update 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
Beautiful tree, nice shape to it. You planning to let it keep its straight narrow shape? Or you going to prune back some central leaders and widen the canopy?
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:31:25 PM »
I have 1 Berry and 2 Ambers.  The Berry is a beast.  I may get fruit this year as there were many male flowers last summer.  I'll take some photos and post tomorrow.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:38:00 PM »
Beautiful tree, nice shape to it. You planning to let it keep its straight narrow shape? Or you going to prune back some central leaders and widen the canopy?

Thanks. Next summer I plan to prune back the central leaders to encourage it to spread out more. I want to keep it around 12 ft tall.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »
I have 1 Berry and 2 Ambers.  The Berry is a beast.  I may get fruit this year as there were many male flowers last summer.  I'll take some photos and post tomorrow.

Cool. Can't wait to see the pics. Male flowers on both the Ambers and the Berry?

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

Cool. Can't wait to see the pics. Male flowers on both the Ambers and the Berry?

Flowers on 1 of the Ambers and the Berry.  I don't expect any fruit from the Ambers this year though.  I had to trim them back a bit to fit a new project in the backyard.  Who knows though...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:59:45 PM »
My Amber seedling is one of the tallest trees  I have gotten.  Planted about 15 months ago and has tripled in size.  It is 9-10 ft tall and about 7 ft wide.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
I have both a berry and amber planted in the ground. The berry looks very similar to Sleepdoc's berry tree (may be all in my mind) but at half the size.  It is about 8 ft tall and 4 ft wide. The berry has not flowered yet.   The amber is growing straight up.  It was 14 ft tall and 3 ft wide before I topped it down to 10 feet.  I am not sure why but the lower limbs tend to die back.  It does not have a leaf below the 6 ft mark. The tree looks like a green lollipop.  It flowered last year and is flowering heavily this year but I doubt it will produce a female.
Brandon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 11:46:04 PM »
Amber jackfruit seedling in Sri Lanka. Went from 5 feet to about 12 feet in 10 months. Have 2 more. But you FL people had it for about 1.5 year longer. You might get fruits first.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:09:23 AM »
They start bearing fruit very early to have been grown from seed......the same time that other species need if grafted :) !!!
In colder zone is faster to start flowering?

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 08:45:14 AM »
Photos from this morning:

Berry.  It's planted right next to a tall ficus hedge.

Same tree, and this is a promising looking flower stalk.  Based on its location I have high hopes for a female flower.

Amber #1

Amber #2

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:57:39 PM »
 For the record, my Amber jackfruit is about 10 feet tall after cutting the central leader last month and 1.5” diameter at the base.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »

Look behind the handsome devil obstructing the foreground yesterday at the 9 foot tall amber jackfruit tree.

mod edit: rotated the pic
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 12:04:16 PM by murahilin »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
Don't know why it posted upside down but it won't rotate or cancel.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
Nice looking tree Mike. How old is it?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2016, 09:30:21 PM »
Are those round ones ln the ground the Amber Mike?  Beautyful form they have!  Never seen a Jack perfectly round like a football balloon,  the leaves on the tree also looks quite peculiar, nice pic, thanks...
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 03:28:26 AM »
Yes those amber fruit are round but they are not always so spherical.

Here is a grower with 2 ambers.

My tree is grafted and 2.5 years in the ground. A friend had a seedling of this type fruit in 3 years.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
My Amber seedling is one of the tallest trees  I have gotten.  Planted about 15 months ago and has tripled in size.  It is 9-10 ft tall and about 7 ft wide.

I have both a berry and amber planted in the ground. The berry looks very similar to Sleepdoc's berry tree (may be all in my mind) but at half the size.  It is about 8 ft tall and 4 ft wide. The berry has not flowered yet.   The amber is growing straight up.  It was 14 ft tall and 3 ft wide before I topped it down to 10 feet.  I am not sure why but the lower limbs tend to die back.  It does not have a leaf below the 6 ft mark. The tree looks like a green lollipop.  It flowered last year and is flowering heavily this year but I doubt it will produce a female.

Cool. Both of you should post some pics!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
Look behind the handsome devil obstructing the foreground yesterday at the 9 foot tall amber jackfruit tree.

Mike, we all have you to thank for the opportunity to grow these Ambers and Berrys around the world. Thanks!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:55 PM »
Yes those amber fruit are round but they are not always so spherical.

Here is a grower with 2 ambers.

My tree is grafted and 2.5 years in the ground. A friend had a seedling of this type fruit in 3 years.

What are the fruit in the lower right corner? Chempedak?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 04:27:32 PM »
I think they are just some green jackfruit from another variety. The ambers are being held up as they are the more prized variety.Some people prefer the green ones so they can be used in cooking. I also see there are some boxes of abiu in that cool room.

I think it is good if can we spread good fruit from our own area and increase diversity all over.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 06:03:38 PM »
My Amber has been in the ground about a year. I scored one of the 4 ft seedlings offered by Patrick. It lost most of the leaves on a night last winter where it dropped to the mid 30s and has not grown much.  It did put out some male flowers a few weeks ago that quickly dropped.  With a warmer winter this year I expect it will do much better in the next year. By comparison to the right is an Orange Crush that was a 3ft tall grafted tree planted about the same time.   I wasn't fortunate enough to score a Berry but would be interested if there are still and seeds or seedlings around.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:06:53 PM by PurpleAlligator »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »

Cool. Both of you should post some pics!

My flip phone/chromebook combo laughs at your photo suggestion!  :-[  If I get a chance I can send the pics to your phone...best case scenario
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:07 AM »
Here is my Berry seedling

Here is my Amber seedling

Lots of male flowers on the Amber seedling

Brandon

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »
Four free Amber jackfruit trees in South Florida if anyone is interested. Check out this post for more details: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=13343.msg237033#msg237033

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk