Author Topic: Creamhart avocado  (Read 1097 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Creamhart avocado
« on: March 13, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
    Just wondering if anyone , particularly in the southern california area might know of a source for budwood or grafted plants of the creamhart avocado ? This was a variety that Orton Engelhart came up with . Seems like nobody knows where any of these trees might have ended up being planted. There has to be some somewhere as Orton sold trees from his nursery.

William

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Creamhart avocado
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:36:13 PM »
William...several of us have been looking for Orton's Creamhart.  Since I travel down to La Paz in Baja California regularly, I stopped at the orphanage near San Quintin twice to try to find the tree.  John Moore was a good friend and he planted many CRFG samples at the orphanage.  I was with John at Orton's place when he was getting scionwood.  But, after two trips and much wandering around no possible Creamhart could be found.  In fact, there are few avocados as the orphanage is planting many acres of macadamias (another story).  John passed away many years ago so that source is gone.  Bob Holzinger went to the old Englehart ranch to seek Creamhart, but it is all changed, grown up.  I have an F1 Creamhart (allegedly) sent to me as a scion and it has one fruit on it this year.  It is a sizable fruit and we'll see what it turns out to be.  Many folks have been contacted seeking this illusive avocado, but to no avail.  The only info I can get is from Julie Frink who says she heard it was in Mexico.  Well, that location didn't pan out.  I'm out of leads.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
Re: Creamhart avocado
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:12:46 PM »
Truly saddens me to hear about lost cultivars. This is another example of how important it is to share scions and seeds with others. I do hope a Creamhart shows up. I've been looking for a Ibis avocado scion for a couple of years now with no luck. The Epicenter in California had a scion but I don't know if it survived. The original tree was cut down and removed from what I've been told.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk