Author Topic: Which green sapote variety is better ?  (Read 5671 times)

Bananaizme

• USA , California,Visalia, sunset zone 9
    • View Profile
Which green sapote variety is better ?
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
    I understand that taste is a subjective thing , with that being said I'm looking forward to hearing your different opinions about which green sapote taste best. I'm looking to buy one and would like to hear the pros and cons on IFAS  and Fairchild varieties . I have a Makawao on order but he said it would be over a year till it's ready.

William

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Which green sapote variety is better ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
    I understand that taste is a subjective thing , with that being said I'm looking forward to hearing your different opinions about which green sapote taste best. I'm looking to buy one and would like to hear the pros and cons on IFAS  and Fairchild varieties . I have a Makawao on order but he said it would be over a year till it's ready.

William

I have only tasted the one that I believe budwood came from Whitman's place.  Lara's in Homestead had one that came from Hawaii that Julian said was superior in taste quality (don't recall if he had a name for it).
- Rob

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
    Rob

Thanks for the response. I wonder if this variety from Hawaii that your speaking of is the " Makawao " ?I read the story years ago about it. It's supposed to be a superior tasting fruit. I talked to Alex Silber a couple weeks ago about purchasing one but he said that there's a waiting list and that it would be at least a year before I could actually buy one .

William

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:00:17 PM »

William

Last time I emailed Richard Campbell, he said that they all died or were removed due to cold (at Fairchild Farm location).  The large tree at Fairchild Gardens was still there last I visited.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 11:27:01 PM »
The Hawaiian cv that Julian Lara has is the Poamoho.

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 12:41:35 AM »
    Jeff

Have you ever tried the IFAS variety ?  I talked to the sales lady at pine island nursery and she told me that they propagate IFAS and Fairchild green sapote. She suggested that I special order through mimosa LA nursery since he orders in trees from them several times a year . I'm just trying to get a idea on the flavor of each one .

William

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:07:54 AM »
    Jeff

Have you ever tried the IFAS variety ?  I talked to the sales lady at pine island nursery and she told me that they propagate IFAS and Fairchild green sapote. She suggested that I special order through mimosa LA nursery since he orders in trees from them several times a year . I'm just trying to get a idea on the flavor of each one .

William

I am not certain but I believe the GS fruits that I have eaten were sourced from TREC.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same as IFAS.

Squam, thanks for the lead on Julian's Poamoho. 

Has anyone tried Makawao, the variety that Oscar has?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
    Jeff

How was the flavor ?

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
I had the same talk recently with Papaya Tree Nursery about the waiting list for Green Sapote. Then I did a dumb thing and ordered a grafted Whitman from TopTropicals and another from Plantogram (they call the cultivar "Miami").  I say dumb because both are grafted on Mamey rootstock, which may doom them here in northern California. Should have waited to find trees grafted onto Green Sapote rootstock.

I would up ordering a 3ft seedling from Polynesian Produce Stand on eBay, and also some seeds from Maui Seeds. I'll try to graft my Plantogram/TopTropicals trees onto the seedlings if I can keep them alive long enough.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 02:00:53 PM »
    Jeff

William

I am not certain but I believe the GS fruits that I have eaten were sourced from TREC.  It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same as IFAS.

Oscar Wrote a topic about Makawao but I can't find it.  :o
Moh'd

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »
I had the same talk recently with Papaya Tree Nursery about the waiting list for Green Sapote. Then I did a dumb thing and ordered a grafted Whitman from TopTropicals and another from Plantogram (they call the cultivar "Miami").  I say dumb because both are grafted on Mamey rootstock, which may doom them here in northern California. Should have waited to find trees grafted onto Green Sapote rootstock.

I would up ordering a 3ft seedling from Polynesian Produce Stand on eBay, and also some seeds from Maui Seeds. I'll try to graft my Plantogram/TopTropicals trees onto the seedlings if I can keep them alive long enough.

To start, since TT does not graft anything.  They outsource and their information is sketchy at best so whatever they told you should be taken with a grain of salt.  Mickey does a lot of outsourcing too but he is much more trustworthy.  You would need to know the actual source of the trees to know for sure what rootstock was used. 

How cold do you get in your neck of the woods?
- Rob

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
    Jeff

How was the flavor ?

Very good.  I had them 2 years in a row, and I don't really like mamey...not sure what cloying means, but maybe it was too cloying--lol.  It is just creamy and sweet--too much for me.  As for the GS, I found myself eating them daily.  They did have a bit of a problem with uneven ripening but that may have been my fault at least in part.
~Jeff

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
To start, since TT does not graft anything.  They outsource and their information is sketchy at best so whatever they told you should be taken with a grain of salt.

How cold do you get in your neck of the woods?

Interesting... I guess I'll never know what the Whitman is grafted onto.

Winter nights average low 40s, but we'll usually get a few 30F nights. Every few years it will get to 27F and I suppose there's a "century freeze" always waiting to happen that could get colder.

I know of one guy in the Bay Area with a big Green Sapote tree that has powered through many cold winter nights, so I'm optimistic for mine.

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 05:30:27 PM »

Negative.  I suppose he only sells seeds from it, not grafted trees?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 01:14:03 AM »
    Jeff

William

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5279.msg71691#msg71691
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=821.msg10075#msg10075
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:39:40 PM »

Negative.  I suppose he only sells seeds from it, not grafted trees?
You can get scion wood of Makawao from me also.
Oscar

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 05:52:30 PM »
    Jeff

William

What a Beautiful fruit.

BTW, Have you tried to cross pollinate green Sapote with mamey Sapote ?. The hybrid tree should be really Interesting if that possible.

Thanks Oscar
Moh'd

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 08:23:18 PM »
    Jeff

William

What a Beautiful fruit.

BTW, Have you tried to cross pollinate green Sapote with mamey Sapote ?. The hybrid tree should be really Interesting if that possible.

Thanks Oscar
Don't usually have time for stuff like that. Maybe when i'm retired?  ;D
Oscar

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
Fairchild gardens noted in one of their papers hybrids between             p.fossicola and p.viridis and in another they talk about fossicola and p. Sapote being closely related . So its definitely possible

Bananaizme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 04:09:04 PM »
    Joe
 I just received a IFAS variety, grafted onto mammey rootstock.  I'm a little concerned about the cold tolerance of the mammey as a rootstock. Guess I'll have to wrap the graft to protect it .  It will be in a unheated greenhouse but I better protect it regardless. As soon as I can find some seedling gs I probably should graft onto them .  Does anyone know if Lara farms sells budwood of their Hawaiian variety ?

William.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk