Author Topic: Worth growing Santa Rosa Plum if pruned back?  (Read 1560 times)

Stan

Worth growing Santa Rosa Plum if pruned back?
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
Not much room for what has been my favorite fruit of all time. They dont come in semi dwarf,dwarf and all that do they?  I saw one at a nursery in perfect condition..it almost came home with me. Now if I hear they take to pruning AND they bear fruit the year after they are planted? I'm going back!

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Worth growing Santa Rosa Plum if pruned back?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
I have a dwarf Santa Rosa Plum, it's only supposed to get 8-10' tall.  I've had it about four years, two in the ground and its about 7' tall.  It did bear a couple of fruit after the first year, but production has been very meager until this year.  I have over a dozen fruit and I'm hoping the majority of them stick around to ripen.

Good luck with yours!
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
Re: Worth growing Santa Rosa Plum if pruned back?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 01:12:25 AM »
My mother has a Santa Rosa that's probably 40 years old and 18 feet tall. It produces huge amounts of fruit. She no longer makes jelly (Santa Rosa plums make great jelly, just the right combo of sweet/tart) so most of it goes to waste.