Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 212526 times)

belohorizonte.seedsbrazil

• Belo Horizonte MG, Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1400 on: July 25, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
Hello ,
My names is Roberto, I am From Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

I am starting the cultivation of fruit trees in the interior of Minas Gerais, a friend told me the forum, he said that I could learn many things from people outside Brazil, from what I read so far, yes it really is true, many Important tips.

I hope to learn and talk to many people from this forum, maybe exchange some species of seed or similar.

Thank you

Roberto Oliveira

Sapphos

• United States, Florida, Palm Bay, Border 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 01, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »
Hello, I'm Laura, currently living in Palm Bay Florida right along the Indian River - hence the 9b/10a designation since we are on the cusp and can grow some things they can't just a few miles inland. I'm originally from Connecticut and moved down to Miami about 20 years ago and since then have bounced around to a lot of places including southern Florida, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Asheville NC, Little Rock Arkansas and finally back to Florida to an area that feels so weird after living in sub-tropical Florida. This region I live in can be as dry as the south of France or as wet as South Florida and makes it really challenging.

We've got about 1/3 of an acre. When we moved here there was a Haden mango, Myer lemon, guava, some miscellanous bananas, loquat, sugar cane, papayas, and a Spondias purpurea - hog plum. Since then I've added an Everbearing mulberry, a mango that someone gave us and I have no clue what it is, elderberry, ice cream banana, dragon fruit, moringa, and a passion fruit plant that came from Brazil, and a kaffir / makrut lime. I've always loved plants but not been so interested in growing them, but that has recently changed so while I recognize a lot of tropical fruits and vegetables from around the world and even their plants, I'm not very knowledgeable about growing them and am eager to learn.

I've also got a great neighbor from Cambodia who has such a cool variety of fruit trees and vegetables, many unique to Asia, but he's not tech savvy so occasionally I will ask questions for him as well :).

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:17:15 PM by Sapphos »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:35 PM »
Hello all, I am a mango tree grower and fruit lover. I love the mango fruit so much I even created a Facebook Page called Mango Tree Growers Of America with lots of information about mango tree growing and the members are very active posting photos and information. It was originally called Florida Mango Tree Growers Club, but do to popular demand the members expanded from Florida to USA statewide and now I am receiving messages that it should be renamed Mango Tree Growers of the World  ;D. I don't plan to expand it that much because mango trees were originally imported from other countries, so we are currently trying to help each other grow the perfect mango tree and fruit in all kinds of zones from Florida to California to Alaska :) . So that is a little bit about me and my goals are to expose all information regarding backyard mango trees and propigation, grafting, container growing, and fruit tasting.

My current list of trees are

1. Haden
2. Valencia Pride
3. Kathy (k-3)
4. Maha Chinuk (Maha Chanok)
5. Nam Doc Mai
6. Coconut Cream (Coconut Cream)
7 Piña Colada
8. Orange Sherbet
9. Angie

Thank you all!

Here is the Facebook link... https://m.facebook.com/groups/656091337926681

Mango Tree Growers Of America, come help us grow the perfect mango tree!

Welcome to the forum. It is 100% not "chinuk". It is either Mahachanok or Maha Chanok.

kdhyde

• Chiang Rai Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 14, 2017, 05:56:49 AM »
I am Kevin, a Prof at Mae Fah Luang University in Chiang Rai, Thailand where I have lived for 10 years. I am a mycologist and a plant pathologist. Since I have a reasonably sized piece of land I thought I would cover it with a collection of tropical fruits trees for my children (not being so young). I am new to finding tropical fruit seeds and I am finding it quite difficult to find the unusual things as we of course have many of the normal fruit trees (Longan, mango, star fruit, star apple, etc) in Thailand but not many of the rare things. I am therefore looking for more unusual tree seeds with the hope that one day these will also become popular in Thailand. Any help or suggestions with getting unusual seeds of trees that produce delicious fruits would be welcome

usmcgy01

• usa,ca,losAngeles, 9
    • View Profile
I am new to this forum, and I think it's great!
« Reply #1404 on: August 16, 2017, 03:07:08 PM »
This seems like a great place to seek out information for growing fruit trees.  Since this is my first post, I'll keep it short and just say hi!! :-*

Zioxx

• Leeuwarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 17, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
Hello everyone !

i'm stefan and i'm from the Netherlands, the climate for tropical fruit trees is not optimal but surely not impossible ive just started with this hobby and im really starting to enjoy seeing everything grow currently ive started germinateing all kind of excotic fruits from mango to citrus fruits

Hope to see you guys on the forum !

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 18, 2017, 02:17:03 AM »
Hello,

I am from San Diego and an avid gardener.  I enjoy growing exotic plants and horticulture.

Please let me know if u have rare and unique annonas u want to trade or share.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:05:14 AM by Mikey »

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 21, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
Hello all,
This is the best forum on tropical fruits. I'm from Tampa, FL area so Tropical fruit trees are only options. On my small yard, I have several mango (LZ, MahaC) and few annonas (4 Atemoya, a sugar apple, a A. Reticulata), few citrus trees, lychee, sapodilla, guava, Acer. Cherry, Red Jabot., Jackfruit, loquat. That's about it.
Hoping to learn from all your experience on TF.

Cheers,
Joe

jim H

• Fellsmere
    • View Profile
    • Fellsmere Lychee;s
roduce Yourself
« Reply #1408 on: August 26, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »

Hi Everyone i just reg. on the site and hope it will be helpful. I am a new grove owner of a 10 acre grove located in Fellsmere fla. I am growing Lychee,s ,longans and High end Asian Mangoes and assorted fruit trees. Also we just put in a plot of macadamia nut trees. so i was wondering if anyone has any EXP. in growing macadamia trees and what there needs are. my trees are around 3yrs old and seem to be doing well. but want to put them on a maintenance plan. .so any info would be great Ty.

Rick-of-Oregon

• Southern Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: September 12, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »
Hello out there in plant land.  I'm a 70 year old fa#t that just finished building a 20 by 68 foot greenhouse on our Southern Oregon property. Our plan is to grow dwarf avocado trees and oranges, tangerines and lemons. I hope to get lots of information here to make it successful  :)

Susan

• Sarasota, Sarasota County, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:21 PM »
I'm a hobbyist, wondering about growing fruit in Sarasota. I live on a standard lot, and I am looking for a non-deciduous fruit tree for my front yard.  Something I can keep at 15 ft or so, not something that wants to be 40 ft. tall.  Any suggestions of an easy fruit tree to try? 
Also, I have an Oro Negro avocado in a pot.  Any idea if it will grow well in Sarasota in the ground?

Robnelms

• USA, CA, LA, 10
    • View Profile
    • Radiant Portraiture Photography
« Reply #1411 on: October 04, 2017, 11:52:03 PM »
Hello everyone.  I just recently discovered tropical fruits.  I'm really interested in those in the Annona family.  I have several Annonas as well as starfruit, some eugenia species, and others as well.  I'm just looking for like minded folks as I don't have any gardening friends.

PrimeDinner

• Los Angeles County Zone 10B Sunset 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: October 12, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »
Prime Dinner checking in.

Recently I purchased my parents house.  They had grown lots of trees in the backyard and I would like to continue adding to the fruit collection.  I have potted some cherimoya seedlings this past weekend and am looking forward to reading more posts and looking at great pictures.

Dinner Out.
Dinner Out.

SouthOfBorneo

• Banten, Java Island, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
Hello all,

You can call me Albert. I live in Java Island, Indonesia where pretty much the fruits we're discussing here will thrive especially if they like full blown heat and humidity. For those in the middle which likes mild frost, I think not so much.

Currently interested in the Inga and Myrciaria or Plinia genus.

Albert

bhart90

• Flint Michigan 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: October 21, 2017, 09:55:20 AM »
Hi, Im Brenden, 26 from Flint Michigan

Just an avid gardener, and curious to see what kind of fruit trees I can maintain indoors and hopefully bear fruit.

Mvule101

• Arua, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: October 25, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Hi everyone I am John Wright and I have lived in Uganda for over 20 years. I have a belated interest in growing some of the more unusual tropical fruit and I hope to get lots of ideas from this forum!

Thanks,

Mvule

DJMadonia96

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: October 26, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm DJ. I originally got into growing plants to feed my reptiles (two red foot tortoises, and a canary island lizard.) I have a few other ones but they don't eat greens. After a while I just had fun growing things, and poof now I grow exotic fruit in my backyard. I live in sunny south west florida and am fascinated by annona fruits. I'm looking foward to all of the things I can learn from and share with this forum.

JonM

• Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines 14.1°N
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:24 AM »
Hello everybody, you can call me Jon. I am an undergraduate student in University of the Philippines Los Baños, an institution known for agriculture and forestry. I have had interest in growing plants since I was seven although it was mostly ornamental plants. My fascination with tropical fruit was kindled much more recently when I realized that there is such a huge diversity of edible fruits out there, most of which are underutilized due to the stigma placed upon lesser known plants as second class food. My discovery of this forum around a year ago just strengthened my interest in tropical fruits and I have been regularly following this forum since although it is only now that I have created an account. I am looking forward to interact with this community. :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:23:02 AM by JonM »

botanical pilot

• Plant geek. Dig the tropicals. Seed Starts. Graft.
    • Portland, Oregon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
Hello,

I live in Portland Oregon in the states, and love growing tropicals indoors and traveling to see local flora. A trip to Europe a few years ago when I was twenty made me fall in love with Mediterranean fruiting plants. After watching Fruit Hunters on Netflix in 2015, I was inspired to go to SE Asia and in 2016 I did my first solo trip to the region. I spent most of my time on the island of Sumatra working on a mango farm and then went to Sarawak to explore. This trip magnified my love of both fruiting trees and tropicals, and so here I am.

I want to learn more and to gab about neat species and how to be a better gardener. Most of my tropicals are in containers due to my temperate climate, but I do my best with indoors COB lighting and T5s during cool months.

I grew up in Montana, and have a bachelors in biotechnology from Montana State University. While earning my degree I was apart of a horticultural organization and worked in a lab growing and researching wheat and rust fungal diseases. I currently work in plant tissue culture lab propagating fruit trees and making media. Volunteer with a local community orchard and teach others gardening techniques in my spare time. I have also worked at a retail grow shop and can give some advice in the area of indoor cultivation.

Can't wait to learn with y'all
pilot

Reddchard

• Maui Hawaii 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: November 09, 2017, 08:49:50 AM »
Aloha and Thanks to all that share their valuable knowledge and experiences. I am Richard with a small farm and plant collection in Maui ..been studying and practising organic ag/ permaculture.biodynamics, korean nature farming....lately selling turmeric,breadfruit,jacks,banana.herbs and veges+ to local markets.looking forward to adding to collection of rare ,delicious and nutritous fruits and sharing with others... got to fiquere how to keep wild pigs out of my white pineapple patches !!Thanks

Th3_BrazilianShark

• San Diego, CA USA. 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: November 28, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Hello all!
My name is Luiz. I am Brazilian living in San Diego, USA for about 15 years. My hobbies include, Skydiving, Jiu-Jitsu, Snowboard and my lovely garden.
At the moment I am growing:
2 Jabuticabas Sabará
Few Passion Fruits, can't tell the variety, but I'll be posting some pics of it.
Barbados Cherry
Soursop
Papaya
Pink Guava
Cherimoya
Grumichama
Surinam Cherry and Lolita
Luffa
Tommy Atkins Mango
I've been looking for some good yielder Sugar Apple variety, if you know how I could acquire some I appreciate.
Thanks

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:29:22 PM by Th3_BrazilianShark »

Jesssfl27

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 05, 2017, 11:25:33 PM »
Hello! My name is Jess. I live in Miami (zone 10b). I don’t have many hobbies besides gardening. I’ve only been growing tropical fruit for about two years now. It’s gone quite smoothly. Things I’m growing right now are:
Jaboticaba
Custard apple
Meyer lemon
Wampee
Abiu
Palandas papaya
Naranjilla
Cocona

Im hoping to add more as time goes by although I don’t have much space as it is. Despite the obvious lack of space I continue to buy seeds  ;D it’s nice to meet you all!

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers