Author Topic: Wanted: Shasta Gold  (Read 2490 times)

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
Wanted: Shasta Gold
« on: August 15, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »
Does anybody know a source in South Florida for this one. I was originally looking for the Temple but have had a hard time finding that one too. Then I read about the Shasta Gold, which is suppose to be a newly developed mandarin that everybody has been raving about with Temple parentage. I'm not even sure it's available in South Florida yet. If anybody knows where to find one or when they are going to become available I would appreciate it.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Shasta Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
I thought Satsumas were not really recommended in middle or south Florida because the night temperatures are not cool enough to develope good flavor. A while back I think Millet was saying that in theory Valencia and a navel or two 'could' provide fruit 12 months a year in south Florida. Now that sounds like a winner in your location !! Good luck with what ever you choose. Tom

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »
Not sure of a source in South Florida for TDE 2 known commercially as Shasta Gold, but I can confirm the rave reviews. The California Shasta's I've had are easily in my top 5 favorite citrus during citrus season.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Does anybody know a source in South Florida for this one. I was originally looking for the Temple but have had a hard time finding that one too. Then I read about the Shasta Gold, which is suppose to be a newly developed mandarin that everybody has been raving about with Temple parentage. I'm not even sure it's available in South Florida yet. If anybody knows where to find one or when they are going to become available I would appreciate it.

Most likely not licensed in Florida. It is a patented California variety. You should be able to find temple. It is one of my favorites as well.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Andrew, you can buy a Temple Orange from this Florida Nursery/grower.

https://www.briteleaf.com/product/temple-orange/

Millet

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 11:18:18 PM »
I appreciate all the suggestions everybody. Coyote, would Page or Dekopon make your list of the top five.

Millet

Looks like I'm out of luck again. Just checked it out and they are out of stock on the Temple.

P.S. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I'm not used to posting in the citrus forum and didn't know that there was a buy and sell section.

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Page would be in my top 5 early citrus, but not overall...as for dekopon if you like citrus that trends towards the sweet side then it would probably be worth growing.  As for me personally, while I appreciate it's rich flavor it's a little too sweet for me as I prefer a more well balanced citrus.  I know that it's many people's favorite citrus though and I can understand why even if it's not mine. You should take your own preferences into account when deciding on whether to grow it or not.

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
I appreciate all the suggestions everybody. Coyote, would Page or Dekopon make your list of the top five.

Millet

Looks like I'm out of luck again. Just checked it out and they are out of stock on the Temple.

P.S. Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. I'm not used to posting in the citrus forum and didn't know that there was a buy and sell section.

Harris Nursery has dwarf temple:
http://www.harriscitrus.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=285
Michael

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 11:49:31 AM »
I was looking for Shasta Gold also for shipment to non-citrus states (PA for me) but wasn't able to find it.