Author Topic: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia  (Read 38890 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Russells Sweet Garcinia
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 11:46:40 PM »
Good news and I could be a little seedy.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2015, 02:51:18 AM »
The eagle has landed, a white whale has been bagged and the truth is revealed.
Thanks Jim the discarded ones under the trees and a couple fresh enough to taste have cracked the case wide open.

The half eaten one only had one seed.
I am pleased to report they are very nice with a mild peach,persimmon and red papaya combination and are almost acid free.The skin is thin like tomato,there is very flesh yield and they are nothing like dulcis or any other Garcinia I have tried.They are a winner.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »
Mike, If you end up having extra seed once everyone who has already put thier name  on the list has gotten theirs, please let me know

Rob

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2015, 03:45:38 AM »
Any photos of the mature fruiting tree? And yes - Jim or Mike - I would be interested in future seeds as well; understand each fruit has few seeds.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2015, 04:04:37 AM »
Great find Mike! Thanks also to Jim (whoever you are). Look forward to tasting them a few years down the line.  8)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2015, 04:32:01 AM »
Jim is Jimreeves on this forum who has knows Russells ex whose yard has the original trees.Jim kindly returned a favour of receiving jackfruit seeds a couple of years ago after reading this thread.More than returned the favour and sampled some keledang and was suitably impressed.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2015, 05:04:36 AM »
Sounds like the skin could be eaten as well?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

jimreevescairns

• Cairns, Far North Queensland
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2015, 07:21:43 AM »
Really happy I could help Mike you were very generous previously.
The intensity of the keledang colour is amazing as is the flavour - few more years to wait for my own to fruit! Thanks for the seedling too.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2015, 07:55:51 AM »
Thanks again Jim and the seeds will be tripping soon.As there are so few fruiting trees it would be good to have them secured in a few different places.There won't be enough seeds for everyone who wants them.
The keledang is from the same source as your trees so the fruit should be a good indication or what yours may produce in the future.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Amazing!

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »
Wen in Lancetilla Luc and me, found in the Lancetilla Botanical Garden created by Dr Wilson Pope not  this tree in the middle of the garden,  I remember it was a Garcinia, that is all,  I can't recall if there was a sign on the tree or not, but always when I read the  reviews of the Russell's it reminds me this fruit,  orange color, about same size,  this Lancetilla Garcinia has a delicious sweet flavor with a tangy note at the end, the flavor reminds me a bit a sweet loquat, and little beat of apricot, juicy semifirm, we ate a ton of them as the tree was loaded, delicious, we pick them for the ground, the bad part is that they only had a few flat small aborted seeds, it was a single tree,  unfortunately at that time we were more rookies than now,  so we never had the idea of cutting scion for grafting!  Is a shame as of all the fruit we sample those days in the garden that was the one I like the best,  hopefully I'll comeback someday for this bad boy!  MIKE please look at the pics and tell us what you think, Popenoe brought most of the fruits from Asia that is why I think this Garcinia is from there and not from America,
 Lancetilla Garcinia

Russell's from Mike

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:54:35 PM by Raulglezruiz »
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
Raul there sure are similarities.I think the inside of your one looks more like mundu (G.dulcis) in texture and form and the Russell's Sweet did not have the tang that you mentioned.The shiny skin and depth of orange might not be so important for identification and so is the seperate male and female trees.The fruit you show also has no nipple like many dulcis do.The tree growth pattern and foliage of Russell's one is quite distinctive as well and it would be interesting to see the tree that you ones came from.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:16 PM »
Raul, Luc sent me those same photos long ago and told me they were Garcinia dulcis. Probably he is right.
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
Wen in Lancetilla Luc and me, found in the Lancetilla Botanical Garden created by Dr Wilson Pope not  this tree in the middle of the garden,  I remember it was a Garcinia, that is all,  I can't recall if there was a sign on the tree or not, but always when I read the  reviews of the Russell's it reminds me this fruit,  orange color, about same size,  this Lancetilla Garcinia has a delicious sweet flavor with a tangy note at the end, the flavor reminds me a bit a sweet loquat, and little beat of apricot, juicy semifirm, we ate a ton of them as the tree was loaded, delicious, we pick them for the ground, the bad part is that they only had a few flat small aborted seeds, it was a single tree,  unfortunately at that time we were more rookies than now,  so we never had the idea of cutting scion for grafting!  Is a shame as of all the fruit we sample those days in the garden that was the one I like the best,  hopefully I'll comeback someday for this bad boy!  MIKE please look at the pics and tell us what you think, Popenoe brought most of the fruits from Asia that is why I think this Garcinia is from there and not from America,
 Lancetilla Garcinia

Russell's from Mike

I have a trees from a similar fruit. I got it at the CATIE garden in Costa Rica. I've eaten the one at lancetilla and have one slow growing seedling from that tree and the CATIE one is bigger and sweeter but still with a tang. But I believe that it's not the same as Russell.
- David Antonio Garcia

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2015, 11:14:22 PM »
David; did you get the Lancetilla seedling from a seed of a fruit of that single tree in Lancetillas park? Luc and me  went through tons of fruits with no such Luck of finding even a single one!!.......
El verde es vida!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2015, 11:40:57 AM »
David; did you get the Lancetilla seedling from a seed of a fruit of that single tree in Lancetillas park? Luc and me  went through tons of fruits with no such Luck of finding even a single one!!.......

Raul I believe we are talking about the same tree, I remember the tree being solitary. And ya I got the seed out of the one fruit I ate. Maybe I got lucky and found the one fruit that had a seed? Idk what to tell you lol.

I only have one, unbranched seedling, I actually gotta see if I find it now. I didn't remember it being fantastic especially compared to the  fruit I ate at CATIE, so i sorta let it go by the wayside. But based on your report maybe ill put it in the ground.
- David Antonio Garcia

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »

Raul I believe we are talking about the same tree, I remember the tree being solitary. And ya I got the seed out of the one fruit I ate. Maybe I got lucky and found the one fruit that had a seed? Idk what to tell you lol.

I only have one, unbranched seedling, I actually gotta see if I find it now. I didn't remember it being fantastic especially compared to the  fruit I ate at CATIE, so i sorta let it go by the wayside. But based on your report maybe ill put it in the ground.
actually  I think the tree is in an area like in the middle of the park and the only close tree around is a kepel one,  at maybe 8/10meters away both of them are kind of isolated....
El verde es vida!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2015, 01:38:09 PM »
Ya I think we are talking about same tree, off a path. I remember the closest thing being some Jabos
- David Antonio Garcia

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2015, 04:48:52 AM »
Mike, I know this is an old thread, but I would love to throw my hat in the ring and procure one (or more) of these valuable seeds. Thank you,Chris
BTW...I am OCchris, the original...couldn't find my password once i upgraded my operating system. thanks again!
-Chris

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2015, 09:24:58 AM »
Does everybody have multiple shoots from Russell's Sweet seeds? I got doubles and one triple. Are you supposed to separate them? Can there be male and female from the same seed?

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2018, 03:45:18 AM »
Im finally getting ready to put my 4 Russells Sweet trees in the ground this week..  My plants came from oscar when they were only 4-5' tall..  and he got the seeds from Mike T.    its been a couple years and they are now about 2' tall and very healthy.   after reading through this post again i'm getting excited to plant these suckers! 

Its been a couple years since i've seen anything posted on these.  has anyone got updates on their trees and any fruit pictures? 

Ill get mine planted and take a pic to share. 
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2018, 02:50:44 AM »

My female Russell Sweet has had lots of flowers and the occasional fruit sets without being cross pollinated. The small male next to it hasn't started to produce flowers yet. The fruit that set from unpollinated flowers are much smaller than those from fertilised flowers but there are small but fully formed seeds. Maybe these can only grow females.

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »
Was the fruit sour Mike  ?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:42 AM »
No sourness at all and it was very pleasant.

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2018, 08:28:41 AM »
Aren't the unfertilised fruit usually sour.Could it have been fertilised by a sneaky Mexican ?